Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scottish heavy equipment mechanic

Victor mcdade · 2023-06-17 18:42

Hi folks it's just an update, I made to Alberta, and it's fantastic, been here a month and it seems to be working out so far

Replies21
  1. #1DDoug2023-06-17 18:57

    Have you smelled crude oil yet ?

  2. #2Victor mcdade2023-06-17 19:11

    Not yet, but there's a constant smell of sulphur, and the tar bugs, they're huge

  3. #3skyking12023-06-17 21:27

    thanks for checking back Victor, and best of luck with your new gig and country.

  4. #4RocketScott2023-06-17 22:47

    Glad it’s going well so far …but by the thread title I was expecting more kilts

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-06-18 00:35

    Welcome to Alberta! Sounds like the new job is going great?

  6. #6Victor mcdade2023-06-18 10:35

    Yep it's all good , leaving the kilts till Hogmanay

  7. #7joe--h2023-06-18 10:58

    Tar bug? Joe H

  8. #8Victor mcdade2023-06-18 11:17

    Yep, they're scary looking critters

  9. #9TCat2023-06-18 11:32

    Could you post a pic or two of a tar bug? I tried Google and couldn't find anything about them. Just curious what they look like.

  10. #10Coaldust2023-06-18 16:35

    Good to hear from you, Victor!

  11. #11JEVANS2023-06-21 01:18

    My Guess at a tar bug is those stupid pine beetles with the big azz antenna and chompers that hurt!

  12. #12Coaldust2023-06-21 01:24

    spotted long-horn beetle. Lore says they were attracted to the bitumen of the tar sands. Interesting read. Learn all sorts of stuff on the HEF ‘Tar sand beetles’ will help restore Alberta’s burnt boreal forest Despite the massive wildfire that whipped through Fort McMurray last week, leading to the evacuation of approximately 80,000 residents, there are still cottagelife.com

  13. #13JEVANS2023-06-21 01:26

    G’yuck! Yep thats them. You wanna see a grown azz man dance, see when one of those gets inside your coveralls! Lmao. When there flying around I do my collar up tight around the neck. I hate those damn things

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-06-21 02:35

    It wasn't one of those but last week I had similar big black bug crawling on my windshield... on the inside. Thankfully I had some napkins from a drive through fast food joint and I was able to squish it. Its body was pretty hard. Kind of freaked me out when I saw it in the corner of my eye. Glad I got it and didn't discover it in a worse way. I had another black bug land on my leg but was able to flick it off pretty quick. Bugs are up there with snakes for me.

  15. #15cuttin edge2023-06-21 21:49

    If you are ever near pine logs, sometimes you hear a grinding sound. It's their larva stage

  16. #16TCat2023-06-22 10:59

    Well those are some nasty looking fellas.

  17. #17chidog2023-06-26 03:26

    They must be radio controlled, those almost look like VLF antenna's.

  18. #18cuttin edge2023-06-26 20:26

    Just wait until one crawls up your pant leg

  19. #1992U 34062023-06-27 09:37

    Don't squash 'em, they apparently release pheromones that attract more of them. They're not the brightest either, they'll fly straight into an open oil pail and drown themselves.

  20. #2092U 34062023-06-27 09:39

    I don't think you'll have any regrets about Alberta. I've been here almost half my life and I have no intentions of leaving.

  21. #21Coaldust2023-06-29 19:57

    I’m working next to Canada this week and some of your “ tar bugs” have illegally crossed the border. They looked thirsty, so I gave them some brake cleaner to drink.