Just sitting here at 5 in the morning nothing much to do and was wondering what everyone on HEF prefered as far as shifts so i'm posting a poll..... Do you prefer Day or Night Shift?? and Why? Well as for me i prefer nights, it seems to me that i can get more done.
We get about 4 hours daylight in the winter so I get to work them both in the same shift.
Day shift for me. I like to start early and go home early. the headlights on most of our machines don't work or are busted out. thats my reason for not working at night...lol
When I worked shift work I always liked 4 am till 12 noon best, but I am a morning person. Now self employed it's can till can't with the sun.
Whenever I get the odd night shift it makes me feel rotten for the next couple of days. I suppose if I did it for awhile I would get use to it.
Nights blow I don't mind going in early, but I like to sleep with my wife. Get your mind out of gutter.
Night shift 4 LIFE!. Pays a $1 more an hour too.
nights for me
i've only work nights on one job it wasn't bad at all once you get used to sleeping during the day,but the sleeping alone while she works is nice sometimes:beatsme
Day. Im a morning person get up get to work get it done and get home. Usually cooler that way like 4-12, work during the day light etc
I worked shift work for close to 10 years, Night shift is WAY more productive. Less chiefs more indians. As for me, I hope I never have to work another graveyard in my life. I too like sleeping with MY wife . Get to see the little ones more too.
good to see that i'm not all by myself on the nights... I've worked nights for six years now and love em. don't think i could go back to days lol
i like nights better because i get home sleep for 8-9 hours, i still have 6 or seven hours in the afternoon to do whatever i want before i go back in. im like a banker or office worker i only work 8 hours a day.
Lucky dog! We work 6 to 6. 4 on 4 off.
X2 that was the way we did it, but I only really worked 6-8 hrs and slept the rest of the time while getting paid.
thats why we are on the eights now, we just started 24/7 4 years ago, we did a 3 on 4 off 4 on 3 off or something like that, while we were on 12 hrs the bosses gave out quiye a few pink slips for a couple days off without pay for getting caught sleeping.
I didn't mean that I was sleeping while I should of been working there was nothing to do, but we had to stay in case something came up.
I work when there is work. Day or night. If I work nights then I am around the shop most of the day. That is all part of been self employed.
When I used to work on crushers, I loved the night (swing shift). Start at 1and get off at 11. It was always great to walk into the local tavern in what ever town we where crushing in and see the day shift boys still sitting there! We would always buy them a last beer and wish them a happy 4am wake up when they left!! We would get run out at last call, go back to the trialers, sleep till 7 or 8 and get up and go fishing or just f off till we had to go to work. In a sick way i miss working around crushers, just for that reason! AND THATS THE ONLY REASON!!!
sorry dozerboy i shouldnt jump to conclusions.
No sweat
Never worked nights, but I've heard you don't have to do fine grading during the night. So I'd like to try it, if I get a chance. We have bidded on an addition of the BMV plant, in Greer, SC. They have told us if we get it, there will be two 12 hours shifts, six days a week. Think I'm going to try nights.:thumbsup
I always subscribed to the theory "never work for a man that has lights in his barn, or calves heifers, you'll never get any sleep"...so I like to work sunup to sundown...dark is for sleeping..
i dont know about anywhere else but in wyo and montana these past 10 years the bigger road jobs have all been 24 hrs. mostly jobs where traffic could safely be diverted. mostly i figure is due to the weather timeframe, we hope to get 4 months of good working weather, getting that is another story.
In Ca and here they do a lot of road work at night. In CA we had some people take a few shots at our iron no one was hurt. The police started patrolling the neighborhoods a lot and it never happened again that I heard of.
Its harder to vandalize equipment when its running 24 hrs a day
Both, I start work when it's dark and end when it's dark so both i guess. Oh yea i'll have to agree with Eric, i to like sleeping with my wife.... cause she works days!
I have worked evenings most of my life but went to days to help with the marriage. Now to stop working every weekend.