Hey everyone. I was prompted by Eric's post in another sub-forum about keys. I'm eventually going to be a union operator and I'd like to be able to have every possible key that I would ever need to move any piece. I know Cat, Deere, Bobcat are universal through the newer models, but what about other brands? I suppose that I probably won't have to worry about it so much being just an operator, but it would be nice to have a key for everything if the need arose.
I've got a ring with just about every key one would need. It weighs about 5 lbs, catches, snags or gets hung up on everything plus it rips belt loops all the time. If I've ever operated it or moved it, I've got a key for it. Comes in handy when I'm driving a low bed. Other than that, it's a PITA to have with ya all the time. Kind of like a school custodian key ring. If you need extra keys for something just ask the company mechanic or rental place service person. Most of the time they would rather give you a key than deal with missing keys. If your need ever rises, check under the seat or on the dip stick.
I have several key rings of keys collected over the years but I keep three major ones within reach with all of the keys that I am likely to need for the equipment that my employer happens to be using. The Cat excavator will use two key rings by itself if you don't leave the master key in it overnight. I agree with ROP that the dipstick is a common place to look but if you store a key on a machine make sure you put it in a place where it won't fall out and get lost in case the next operator has one of his own.Unfortunately not all of us check the oil every day either. Try to find a Case backhoe key,that will also work in a Bobcat and a John Deere and who knows what else.Ron G
yes it is alway nice to have a master set of key. a couple years ago I bought a master set of 50 keys off of ebay for like $75.00 and it has been worth every penny of it. the only equipment that I have found to have a different key for each machine are the older daewoo excavators. As said above one key may fit several machines. EX. 1. a case excavator key will also fit a linkbelt excavator 2. a JD dozer key will also fit the backhoe and maybe the loader also.
It sounds crazy,but go to E-bay.There are a couple different companies that have a full set of numbered stamped keys w/ a master list for pairing them together. Prices are not that cheap if bought seperately.Check it out if you get a chance.
From what I have learned, Bobcat keys can start some of the older Case TLB's and Kobelco uses Kawasaki keys.
Fired up a John Deere loader one cold morning and sat in the pickup letting it warm up and go to get in it to go to work and start loading trucks and somehow the door was locked, now what, I'm one hour away from the shop so gotta do something tried my ring full of master padlock keys and one actually opened the door.Whew what a relief.
I just checked out ebay, they got several good sets for sale.$$$
I checked out Ebay, seems to be the way to go. $100 for 60+ keys would be more than I would ever need, but I'd have everything. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Glad to help Sounds to me like you found the Keyman on e-bay.He has a great warranty policy and has everything you could possibly ever need.I now some of our guys used him before without a problem.Hope it works for ya.:drinkup
No you wont ! Made me you never heard of Murphy's law, your side of the pond. You'll never have the one you want when you really need it :Banghead. It will be with the other four that you kept special once you got sick of repairing your trousers with having 60+ keys hanging in them, and they are in the other truck which is in the shop getting serviced. Been there, done that, got three of the T shirts LOL.
I also carry a master key set... The guys at work laughed at me because 90% of the fleet is Cat, but when one of the other guys lost the only key they had for the Deere 270 they were lookin at me for keys. I alsways carry a Older Deere, new deere, cat, cat master, Link Belt, Kobelco, Komatsu, new case, old case, my jeep keys, JCB, ASV, Dynapac,Hyundai, Samsung, new holland and some other ones from my grandpa that I dont know what they start.... but it looks pretty nifty with all those keys.
I use to have a tac key for a Cat 637,it came in handy a few times,probably not much use for one now days with the new models.:usa
Cascade Scraper, I see you are in Lynnwood so the quickest thing for you to do is stop by the Western Power store in Auburn and get one on their generic key sets. It has ten or so keys that fit most of the machines in the construction and agriculture markets. If I remember right they were about $40. There are a couple of trouble keys though that probably won't be on any set. Volvo loader keys are hugely expensive, $30 for the last one I bought. That set from the Case dealer doesn't include the Volvo excavator key either. John Deere also makes a different key for their small loader line and the only place I've found it is at the dealer. As Pete says, carrying all those keys is a PITA. If you need to run a machine take that particular key off the ring before starting the unit. If you forget and leave it in the ignition you have only lost one key. Forget the ring and it will cost both for the keys and the time it takes to go to the store again. Take if from me, when someone finds the ring in the cab it will never be seen again by you.