Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dayton 12.00 20’s to 22.5’s?

Hallback ยท 2018-01-03 21:11

We currently have 12.00-20 california wheels on our yarder and want to go to 11r22.5's. I have been told that the 22.5 wheels will fit our 20" Clark hubs. Has anyone done this before?

Replies7
  1. #1Junkyard2018-01-03 21:16

    IIRC there are 22.5 tubeless wheels that will fit on the same hubs as the tube type. I've done it with 10.00/15's to 17.5's. May have to change rings and wedges depending on wheel style.

  2. #2Tenwheeler2018-01-03 21:59

    We refer to cast iron spoke hubs as Daytons along with the rims that fit them even if Clark made the axle. Tubeless 22.5 and 20" tube type will fit on the same hub. An 11-22.5 and a 10:00-20 have the same OD and can run side by side duel. The 12:00-20 tire is a larger OD and larger OD 22.5 tires are also available. You just have to look into it a bit but can work. The rings Junkyard referred we call spacers, the ones between the rims. They are available in different sizes as are the wedges he mentioned.

  3. #3crane operator2018-01-03 22:18

    I don't think he's talking about dayton rims. His Clark axle is probably a planetary. In which case I don't know if you can find rims for that. Hallback- I don't know what your talking about with "california" rims. Are they like the first picture or the second? First is a old lima with planetary rims, probably 14.00r20's but some have 12.00 Second is a dayton set up on my old winch truck. Its got 11r22.5 tubeless.

  4. #4Hallback2018-01-03 22:36

    I have Clark planetaries just as that Lima does. Dayton wheels are "california" wheels.

  5. #5crane operator2018-01-03 22:48

    If they are planetaries that just use a standard 20" dayton rim, clamps, wedges, and spacers etc, you should be fine getting rims that are a 22.5 like on my winch truck. I think I've seen planetaries that have their own special rims. Probably the only worry is a 11r22.5 will not have near the load rating that a 12.00r20 does, and I don't know what your yarder weighs. The 11r's will also be much shorter, meaning its slower top speed, but you probably aren't roading it. I've swapped a crane from tube to tubeless. The rears went from 10.00 20 to 11r22.5, and the fronts were 12.00r 20, which we had to go to 385's or 425's (floats) to get the load capacity we needed. A 12r22.5 or a 315/80r22.5 would be closer in height to what you currently have.

  6. #6Hallback2018-01-04 00:04

    I have 14.00 20's on the steer axles now and plan to go to the Michelin 395/20 XZL military tires and just got off the phone with a buddy who sells tires and decided on 12r22.5s. You are correct as they are the closest mach in size.

  7. #7Hallback2018-01-05 18:32

    Well, the 315/80r22.5 Hankook was the winner. $500 a piece but let's hope I don't have to buy any more yarder tires for a while now!