Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Horton fan cagenut

Old Doug ยท 2018-01-05 20:13

I am going to replace the bearing and stuff in a Horton clutch and it says i need a cagenut 17310 is it lefthand thread?

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2018-01-06 07:27

    Yes I believe it is OD but I haven't done one for some time now, when I get to work I will check to see if I can find my Horton book. Truck Shop

  2. #2Old Doug2018-01-26 21:51

    I called the place were i got the kit the parts guy there is very good about finding out stuff for me but he was snowed under with work Thats one of the bad parts working in a shop a hour from anything.

  3. #3Old Doug2018-01-29 20:10

    Today i tore into the fan clutch. I had only worked on one other like this before and that was one years back i had to go out and rebuild it away from the shop.The nut it said i need was to hold a spring that keeps the fan clutch disengaged.When you take it apart you have to hold the out side of the houseing were the fan blade boits on and turn a 55 torqs in the center that has lefthand threads. Then you need the cagenut to screw back on the lefthand 55 torqs the hold back the spring. The kit had a new part the had the lefthand threads in it but with it in place you cover up the bolts that hold the spring houseing so i took the old houseing with the threads i need and chain drilled around the nut and cut off what i didnt need so i had a lefthand nut. I got it all apart but the new kit was wrong.I have a bad habit of looking at some thing and think its brain surgery and after i work on it find that its not that bad.Tomorrow i will have the right kit and get it back together.

  4. #4Muffler Bearing2018-02-01 11:54

    I've done it with out the cage nut before and just squeezed the unit in a vise, it doesn't explode or anything. I think you might just pull threads out of those little holes if you didn't retain it someway

  5. #563 caveman2018-02-01 13:47

    I did one a while back and if i recall I used a couple of c-clamps to hold the springs. It had torqs 55 plus , a regular one felt like it would strip out!

  6. #6Old Doug2018-02-01 20:42

    Your wright about the 55 plus i had one and i didnt think it was going to hold the thing was tight. i think if you had some long bolts you could get it It would take some work with c clamps because there is no flat spots on the one i did to clamp on.Its one of those times that until you have took one apart you dont know.

  7. #7pushbroom2018-02-02 00:25

    I have done them on the bench with no cage nut. Bolts are just barely long enough. Send it back with no cage nut and now you have one! They used to ship a torx bit and cage nut with every master kit but not anymore.

  8. #8walkerv2018-02-02 01:25

    They dont ? Glad i have some stashed away in a tool box drawer , most of the time on garbage trucks they are toast but everyonce in awhile i can rebuild one

  9. #9pushbroom2018-02-03 01:49

    They quit about a year ago or so. Still probably some old stock floating around. They now try to sell you a fan hub toolkit with the cage nut, torx bit, and a wrench to hold the hub as you torque the bit instead of rattling it with an impact.