Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DC 95 injection pump issue

fxdwg ยท 2016-06-29 15:48

I've got a new to me New Holland DC 95, which I gather is a Case 850. Since it's got electronics for everything, I'm assuming it's like an 850K. My current issue is that it won't restart when it gets warm/hot. I can start it cold just fine. But let it run for 10-15 minutes or longer and it won't restart unless it sits for several hours. My local CNH dealer tech told me it was the fuel shutoff solenoid, which I replaced. That didn't change anything. I then started swapping relays around to see if the shutoff relay was the cause. That also produced no changes. I then pulled all the relays from the relay panel and brought them to the tech, who tested them all and did not find any bad ones with his test box. In doing some searching, I found a post that talked about injection pump issues causing hot hard or no starting. That post said to dump some cold water on the pump and it will restart. That actually worked. It fired right up after I dumped a bottle of sort of cold water on the injection pump. So my question is what is failing in the pump? Is it something that will eventually prevent it from starting at all? What's the way to fix it? tia

Replies9
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-06-30 07:19

    Without having the pump #'s off the name plate.. I would say the Head & Rotor inside the pump is worn.. and the heat after running will expand the clearances and prevent it from pumping adequate fuel to restart.. and once you hit it with cool water.. the parts contract and she'll pump fuel.. The H&R is very expensive.. your best course of action would be to get an exchange pump and be done w/ it.. The H&R gets worn from dirty fuel.. so if you don't do regular filter changes, you better start.. a couple of 20.00 fuel filters are far less expensive than the 1000.00 your gonna spend on the new fuel system.. If you can get me some pump #'s off the name plate, I can price it out for you.. rebuilding yours w/ a new h&r verses exchange..

  2. #2fxdwg2016-06-30 11:19

    I'll be using it this weekend, so I'll get the numbers while I'm there and post them. The number plate should be on the outside of the pump and not between the pump and block, shouldn't it? How often should I be changing the filters? They were just done when I got it, maybe 20 hours ago. I don't truly know how many hours are on it, as the dash had been replaced once before I got it (at least once that I'm aware of), but it's currently showing about 1200 iirc.

  3. #3fxdwg2016-07-05 12:54

    So my injection pump appears to be a VEGA 12F1000L. Given the location of the tag and my older eyes, it's tough to get a good reading on the tag. Does this appear to be correct?

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-07-05 20:28

    Only 1/2 way there.. after the L is another set of #'s.. and under that, is a 10 digit #.. that's what really matters.. 0 460 *** *** I did a VE on Friday for the exact same problem and found the gov. shaft was out of adjustment.. NOT the head&rotor.. which is BIG $$$ IF you can get me ALL the #'s I can tell you if it has an adjustable gov. shaft.. not that you'll be able to adjust it on the machine.. but atleast give you some hope that's its NOT the big money fix we thought it was..

  5. #5fxdwg2016-07-05 22:11

    Thank you for your assistance, PG! I'll work on getting the rest of the numbers. As the dozer is 6 hours away from my house, it will be several weekends until I'm back to it with a magnifying glass to get the numbers. I'll resurrect the thread once I get them. Thanks again for your help.

  6. #6fxdwg2016-07-05 22:20

    In looking at my pictures a little more, how about 0 460 426 394 (which on this one is above the VEGA) and L1011 at the end. Under the VEGA is 50407B132 2853173. Does that sound like a likely series?

  7. #7thepumpguysc2016-07-06 06:26

    Thanks, I'll check it out this A.M. and let you know..

  8. #8thepumpguysc2016-07-06 11:51

    oh boy.. you have a triple threat there.. the #'s are good and they match the Iveco #.. just replace the B w/ an 8.. You do have an adjustable gov shaft, along with a cold start device mounted on the side.. they have a very hi tendency to explode internally do to pluged filters.. taking out the main pump hsg. along w/ the advance piston.. Not to mention, maybe a worn out H&R.. List price on a complete pump from Bosch is 3500.00 + tax & freight.. The H&R is 918.00 + +.. and any other parts needed.. + labor.. Sorry for the kick in the teeth..

  9. #9leojmartin2021-02-04 12:40

    #thePumpGuysc. I have a 750K that is over-revving when I put it under load. It.s like the governor is overcompensating for the added load. Are there any external adjustments on the injector pump that could have changed? I can only get idle down to ~1600 rpm. The full-throttle is 2150-2200. if I don't push the throttle toward idle or downshift the rpm's can spike up to 2800 rpm