The other day I snapped a brake band on my 1959 OC-4 but I got it torn apart and got some new ones on but now I just need to know how much and what kind of oil I need to use once I put the rear cover back on. I don't have a manual for it so any help would be appreciated.
look up Olivercrawlers.com on facebook... he's that man to talk to..
You need a plain mineral engine oil that has no additives or friction modifiers. I can't stress enough about making sure it has no friction reducing additives. If it does, your steering brakes will simply not work, as they rely on a high friction co-efficient to operate correctly. Most certainly do not use any hypoid type gearbox or differential oils, as not only will the brakes not work, but the oil attacks the bronze bushes in the diff and steering mechanism. You could also contact Landis Zimmerman to get the good poop on local brands and types.
Ok I'll talk to those guys and get something figured out, thanks for the help.
As I recall from 50 years ago when I used to run Cletracs the manual called for 40W non-detergent oil in trans and rollers. TSC has it.