Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DC3 engine substitutes

spurs1107 · 2019-01-15 20:15

i have a cat d3c lgp dozer with a 3406 engine that is blown. I refer to it as a throw away engine since pistons aren’t sleeved. Does anyone know where I can find a list of engine types that can be substituted for the 3406 without any modifications. The 3406 Is a mitisbishi engine.

Replies9
  1. #1Birken Vogt2019-01-15 20:30

    Take a look at this thread and see if it makes sense to you. Your engine should also have SxS on the block somewhere to tell you what kind of Mitsubishi engine it is similar to. Beware of the details in a project like this. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2spurs11072019-01-15 20:36

    i am new to this forum and trying to learn the way around. I think i uploaded a photo of the engine tag.

  3. #3spurs11072019-01-15 20:42
  4. #4Cmark2019-01-15 20:43

    For the avoidance of any confusion, your engine is a 3046, not 3406. Big difference.

  5. #5spurs11072019-01-15 20:45

    yes sir - i apoligize. I am operating on a iphone tonight and it is more challeging this

  6. #6spurs11072019-01-15 20:50

    a local machine shop tells me they can machine the cylinders and install new pistons but my mechanic buddy thinks that is not possible. Does anyone know what a reman block should cost? I see prices from 5K to 18K.

  7. #7RZucker2019-01-15 21:00

    If they can bore and sleeve your block to use stock pistons there should be no problems, and it's probably far cheaper than trying to convert a "close fit" engine. I've had many engines done with dry sleeves with no problems.

  8. #8Bluox2019-01-15 21:27

    These motors have dry cylinder liners and can be bored for .250mm and.500mm over pistons before the liner needs to be replaced. Unless the rebuilder does these motors a lot they might not have much luck . If you use this machine commercially you might talk to Cat about a rebuilt motor. Good luck Bob

  9. #9catman132019-01-15 22:33

    like has been said , take it to a good rebuilder and have it rebuilt back to along block you will be in it about 5 k . I just had a 3045c ( Perkins /cat ) rebuilt for 4500.00 including the head, they bored it and over size pistons in it , you may want to have the injection pump gone thru at the same time