Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DD15 – 472903 TRUCK FIRE! Will the engine survive and be a good running engine?

Jody Lowe · 2022-07-16 19:44

I recently bought a used DD15 - 472903 for my 2011 Coronado from a Salvage Yard. When the engine arrived at the shop to be swapped out with my old engine, the mechanic informed me that the engine had come out of a truck that had been on fire and the engine was damaged so he refused to put it into my truck. I contacted the Salvage Yard and he gave me all kinds of run-arounds and more lies than what he had already given me previously. I was supposed to be receiving a COMPLETE ENGINE. There were no accessories included on this engine. (Not the biggest of my problems). ALL of the sensors on the engine are fried. There are Cracks in the oil pan. (I was told that the engine had been tested and had no issues... WHAT A JOKE) The turbo housing is cracked. The wiring harness was cut from the engine. (I have pictures) The JUNK YARD (because this engine is JUNK) Would never give me the mileage from the engine. Now I see why, he was probably unable to retrieve the millage. He also refuses to give me the VIN. I am being told by the JUNK YARD that everything that is burned, cracked and missing can be replaced. Mind you, I bought a COMPLETE ENGINE for a swap in and out. My question is: WHAT ARE THE CHANCES THAT THIS WOULD STILL BE A GOOD RUNNING ENGINE WITH THE FIRE DAMAGE AFTER WHAT APPEARS TO BE A SEVERE FIRE? FYI, I am not in the market and I am not able to tear down and rebuild this engine. I was looking to swap out, make some money then tackle repairs as they come.

Replies24
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-07-16 20:13

    I have been working on and dealing with the DD15's and 16's since the inception. That is a real early one, undoubtedly high miles and hrs. I'm sure it had some upgrades but all the seals will be cooked the fuel line pass through grommets are cooked. That one has a coolant filter very front on left side. those were deleated along time ago, remove the screw on cover 33mm socket and see if there is a coolant filter in it. Detroit had bulletin to remove the filters and not replace. If it has a filter it's been setting a long time. Nothing as far as external parts are cheap. Personally I wouldn't touch it. A money pit.

  2. #2Coaldust2022-07-16 21:37

    Sorry you got taken for a ride, Jody. I’ve heard this salvage yard story a hundred times and have also refused to install garbage brought to me by customers. But, my new friend. I have a low hour, X15 Cummins that sounds like a plane and pulls like a train. Those crazy Canadians delete their stuff, too. I know it runs good because it was pulling this overloaded, Canadian APD, tridem, super B-Train out of Haines to Whitehorse with a load of fresh ULSD#2. I signed the manifest, myself. At the Tesoro station and sold the driver a box of expired cheese nips and a monster drink. I could make you a helluva deal.

  3. #3Truck Shop2022-07-16 21:43

    Another fire sale! We had a 6TS 3406 1998 in the shop for awhile that had been through a nasty fire. I pulled it down and had the block and head checked---junk. All the cold water pumped on it tweaked it.

  4. #4Coaldust2022-07-16 21:50

    That’s a dirty shame, Mr. Truck Shop. RIP 6TS. The roof, the roof, the roof is on Fire. !

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-07-16 21:55

    It was just a cat engine, same with detroit or cummins engines. It's just an engine and can be replaced, just another hunk of iron.

  6. #6John C.2022-07-17 12:15

    Why is this sad story getting more and more common? Possibly more people wanting to believe a con man showing blue sky to someone who can't afford to be in business in the first place. Bought sight unseen off the internet and believing every word said over a phone call or text message. A little research on a company or owner name with just a word search would be the minimum due diligence necessary. It seems that people have to pay for an expensive education.

  7. #7BillG2022-07-17 12:27

    From Fox Mulders office poster on the X Files "I want to Believe"

  8. #8Coaldust2022-07-17 13:34

    Like John said. It pays dividends to send someone like himself, or myself, to inspect this iron before you drop the scrilla.

  9. #9Truck Shop2022-07-17 14:16

    Engines, transmissions and any drivetrain should only be bought from notable salvage yards. Hank's Doodley Dang type truck/equipment parts is a non starter. If it is not a well run well inventoried well kept yard it's a loser with a tail light warranty. It's much easier to fool a man than convince him he's been fooled--Mark Twain.

  10. #10Jonas3022022-07-17 14:34

    I don't know from the pics I'm not seeing a severely burnt engine there is to much that is not melted but like truck shop said it could possibly be tweaked If if looked like the truck in Coaldusts pic all the plastic and aluminum would be melted out Its basically a used engine crapshoot no mileage why would you complete the sale it probably has well over a million on it All of the sensors, hoses, oil pan, valve cover, Alternator, wiring and tin work is expected to be swapped with yours unless your buying the whole truck what you got is a complete engine the thought of just dropping it in the hole and plugging it in is just not reality not even with a reman engine. The harness is always cut especially if you really need it I have done lots of swaps mostly in light duty we would do a couple a week nowdays parts and labor are getting to high to make it practical it takes a lot of time and care to try and make sure all the proper parts are exchanged before you drop it in or you have to go backwards

  11. #11Truck Shop2022-07-17 15:33

    That engine was sprayed gloss black with a bomb can.

  12. #12OzDozer2022-07-18 04:00

    Let me guess - this seller is right up there at the top of the Better Business Bureau list? Do some deep research, people, before you outlay your hard-earned! The business world is unfortunately littered with operators who have no conscience, and these shonks also missed out on the ethics class.

  13. #13Jody Lowe2022-07-18 14:29

    So first of, lets get a couple of things straight here... It appears that you are trying to condescend me, call me broke and tell me that I did not do my due diligence in a subliminal way. 1. I have the capitol in my account right now to buy another engine. I have 2 Daycabs and 2 Sleepers. ! sleeper is down (this one) and my other on the road making no less that $1000 / day. Not that its your business. 2. I research every major purchase before I buy. I researched the Savage Yard but he has on in Ga and after engine came with a different invoice i researched the one in Tx. Ga reviews are good. Tx reviews are crap. 3. I do not know your education level but I do have a Degree. 4. I went to the yard personally before purchasing. If you are not here to help then do us a favor and keep the unrelated negative comments to your self and keep it moving. ANYONE can get lied to and scammed. Reviews from where my Check went: https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...dcefb82134c2001!8m2!3d33.492476!4d-84.5040099 Reviews from the where the invoice came from: https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...b2f348b!8m2!3d32.757879!4d-97.0412746!9m1!1b1 I also have a picture of the engine promised vs the engine delivered. ANYTHING ELSE SMART GUY! If I am incorrect then forgive me!

  14. #14Jody Lowe2022-07-18 14:34

    Well, he showed me a video of an engine running. It just was not the one that he sent to me. Even if Ihad paid someone to go to Tx and check out the engine that he claims was mines, that wouldn't change the fact that he did a switcharoo on me.

  15. #15Jody Lowe2022-07-18 14:40

    TRUE! I went to the yard personally and talk with the owner for about an hour. The whole time, he was preaching Jesus, God, Jesus brought me this far, Thank God, When the whole time, it was the Devil talking to me. https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...dcefb82134c2001!8m2!3d33.492476!4d-84.5040099

  16. #16John C.2022-07-18 15:22

    You apparently have read a thread I posted earlier about the exact same thing from one of my clients. HeavyEquipmentForums As to my comments on this thread, I don't care what you think about them. My comments were a warning that what happened to you and my client is exactly the same thing I'm hearing more and more about. He thought he was checking things out by reading reviews of the selling company and got quotes on the honesty of the owner of that company. He didn't check into things like police records, BBB reports, and other peoples posting just on a word search. He contacted me and asked how we could put this guy out of business. He didn't join a web site and whine about how he got scammed through his own ignorance of how to check something out on the internet. He paid me to show him how to check out these types of situations and is still paying my time to get the guy arrested and charged with fraud. You are posting your woes on the internet in a public forum with thousands of people viewing them. If you want to attack me for my views and comments, you should start growing a thicker skin because if you check with other people here and elsewhere, you will probably find out I'm one of the nicer members.

  17. #17Jody Lowe2022-07-18 16:46

    I do not care anything about, I have not read and do not care to read one of your previous posts. I asked a question here. I did not ask for your useless comment. If you do not have enough knowledge to answer a post then stop waiting time and keep it moving! You attempted to attack me not knowing the situation trying to be slick condescending. Your opinion on any matter other than what I asked means 0 to me. I posted a question and described the situation. Not a woe. Learn the difference. If you are so excited to be a Warning Cop then go put on a safety vest and direct traffic in the middle of the interstate.

  18. #18Jody Lowe2022-07-18 17:00

    What he showed me and what he told me wound up being 2 different engines.

  19. #19Coaldust2022-07-18 18:10

    Oh’ boy. Burnt DD15’s, crushed dreams, damaged relationships, and broken promises. Only thing hotter than Jody’s engine, is his temperament towards John. So much disappointment up in this thread. Those google reviews are crazy. Note to self: Don’t purchase used engines from a stranger named Adam, with the propensity to provide moral advice, in the Fort Worth/Dallas area.

  20. #20BigWrench552022-07-18 18:27

    This is approach I take when making a big purchase. Good reviews mean nothing to me. I only read the bad reviews. I look for a common denominator in complaints. If I keep reading the same type of complaint about the business, product or customer service. Then I know to move on and spend my money elsewhere. People rarely take the time to write a good review unless there is some incentive to. And the rest of the good reviews are puff pieces from someone within the company.

  21. #21Jody Lowe2022-07-18 20:10

    Lol. I am not that type of guy but I hate when people get all off the subject and is not able to give any type of professional advice just because they want to bark like a dog. I actually bought the engine from Nick in Fayetteville, Ga. After researching the Ga Secretary of State, I was able to discover that they are the both owned by Nick. So Don't purchase from Nick in Atl Fayetteville area as well. Heavy Equipment Recyclers LLC. I have more problems than to go back and forth with a Self Righteous idiot on this thread. I have decided not to use that engine and put the ball in the sellers court now. Thank for POSITIVE ADVICE!

  22. #22Birken Vogt2022-07-18 21:26

    Every one that posted an answer is a highly respected professional on this forum that makes his living dealing with stuff like this. But mechanics are gruff and tell it like it is, so better to just listen and skip over any perceived insult.

  23. #23Tyler d4c2022-07-18 22:08

    1 Just because you have a degree does not make you smart. And I will be the first to say I'm no bright light bulb. 2 you made a bad buy we all done it it sucks we know 3 The fellows who post regularly on this forum mean to do nothing but help. There is no incentive to do so there just genuine people loaning knowledge and experience. 4 Because I'm not in a good mood. If you think your degree is makes you a smart person you surely can figure it out yourself.

  24. #24digger242j2022-07-19 18:52

    So, I guess this thread has outlived its usefulness.