Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford l8000 trans

Jake Hackenburg · 2022-07-17 14:54

Hi I have a 90 Ford l8000 tandem dump truck. Ford 7.8 hooked to an Allison mt 653 long story short I had to have transmission remanned flex plate is distorted worried about eating another front pump. It's a two piece flex plate with half bolted to flywheel, other half bolted to torque converter. I cannot find any part numbers for these parts. Any help appreciated I know the old big ford trucks are becoming a nightmare for parts sourcing.

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2022-07-17 16:00

    I would convert it to manual. But, if you insist, your local NAPA Traction dealer would have the connections and relationships to locate those parts. Mine does. Oddball Sterling,Ford and GMC/Chevy medium duty. But, your mileage may vary. Maybe, I could share my NAPA dude with you. IDK.

  2. #2Jake Hackenburg2022-07-17 16:26

    Ya I wish I had gone that route but it is nice having the auto when we're digging ponds we basically use it like a haul truck. The mt 653 should be a stout reliable unit just have to find the flex plate

  3. #356wrench2022-07-17 21:07

    How did the flexplate get distorted? If installed correctly they usually don’t give many problems

  4. #4Jake Hackenburg2022-07-18 08:48

    I bought the truck had drove it for a minute it had recently had trans work apparently wasn't torqued correctly, the whole trans loosened up from engine and was hanging from torque converter and two bolts and the tail housing. It's not distorted horrible part of me would think it would be true once torqued down but don't want to risk having to buy another $1300 pump

  5. #5Old Doug2022-07-18 09:03

    Have you tried Midway Ford in KC Mo? I did get alot of stuff from them. It seems like Ford truck had alot of parts that were only used on Fords.

  6. #656wrench2022-07-18 09:11

    You could pull the trans and check everything with a dial indicator which you should anyway whenever there has been a problem or the trans has been changed. Also check for flywheel housing concentricity to make sure it is centred within specs to the engine crankshaft

  7. #7Jake Hackenburg2022-07-18 09:34

    Yes trans has been pulled fully remanned everything looks to be within spec just trying to find the two piece flex plate. Checked crank end play as well