Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dead 246b CAT Skid – Freewheel?

Ryan Bunce ยท 2023-09-14 15:53

Good afternoon - I've searched around a bit and found a few videos and such but nothing specifically for a CAT wheeled skid. The gear that connects the engine to the hydraulic pump has slipped out and so the engine runs, but I get no power to any hydraulics. Therefore the wheels won't move blah blah, same story with any dead skid. My question is if anyone knows on the 246B if I disconnect the hydro lines from the wheel motors if it will freewheel or is there some lockout that will make that a useless endeavor. Thanks much.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2023-09-14 16:01

    Parking brake needs oil pressure to release. Either drag with wheels locked up or remove drive chains.

  2. #2Ryan Bunce2023-09-14 16:25

    Crap - that's what I was afraid of. The service manual shows how to remove the drive chains but it looks like a real bear.

  3. #3Tags2023-09-14 19:32

    Can you get close to it with a trailer or car carrier truck and do you have a winch or come-a-long?? Is it dead on dirt or asphalt?

  4. #4Ryan Bunce2023-09-14 22:31

    It's out in a grass field of course, I hooked three pickups together and they still couldn't get enough traction to drag it! Going to try a couple of tractors on Saturday - wish me luck.

  5. #5Tags2023-09-15 18:59

    Put some 1/2 sheets of plywood under each side so the wheels can slide on it.you can sprinkle sand on it or dishwashing soap to help move it along.

  6. #6ozarkag2023-09-15 21:19

    Same size or bigger skid steer can easily push it, lift as much as possible with pallet forks and scoot it along. The weight transfer makes all the difference