Hi I have an 87 case 850d. I was using it today and the left break fizzled out. I opened the reservoir and it was close to empty. I filled it and nothing. Not sure how to bleed it, lost my darn manual. It was working fine. Didn't know if any one would have an answer for me? Thanks:Banghead
You say "reservoir"? The one behind you to your right? If so, that's for the hydraulics only. The trans/torque is under a cover under your right foot when sitting in machine.
You have to remove the floorboard, there is a bleeder screw on the slave cylinder on each brake housing. The machine also has a dump valve at the trans control valve, It has a small quad seal that seals the brake system fluid from the trans. If you bleed the system and don't see any signs of external leakage and lose fluid again it may be that small seal leaks off into the trans. Not a big deal to fix. Pump the brake and hold, open bleed screw, close bleed screw after pedal goes down, repeat until you have pedal.
each pedal has a small separate reservoir you access them through top of hood there kind of behind and under the dash may be there like master cylinders but there separate with steel lines that go down under the floor plate I believe there are bleeders under there but I haven't popped the plates I was freezing and wanted some input first
got it thanks sheepfoot and you to shimmy1
while I'm at it any one have any thoughts on changing out a final pinion seal on a cat d8h it takes about 15to 20 hours of decent use to loose tranny fluid to rt final I've been draining it off and refilling trans and checking strainers.The first time I checked them they had a little bit of a black plastic pieces in them not so noticeable now. no clunking no metal ??
See, I assumed it was similar to an 1150D, but that is obviously not the case. I was going to say sheepsfoot would be able to help you, seems that would have been proper response.
It's a job that's for sure. we had D2/D9G's had several that leaked in the finals, we used chevron 300 oil in the cats and would bleed them off as needed and fix them in the winter months. There are several here that do a lot of cat work, I would do a different post for your D8 and let the more up to date pro's way in.