Looking for some good experienced ideas on painting a 750C dozer. The paint on the main body is decent, but faded, looking like a scuff up with sandpaper might do it. The track frames and back of blade etc have normal paint chipped and surface rust. I was thinking of a grinder and cup brush for these areas, just to take off loose stuff. Biggest question is what kinds of primer etc would a guy need to stick to these areas? I realize a sandblast and paint would be the ultimate way to go, but it really doesn't need to be, a new coat is all.
I use epoxy primer most of the time and a urethane paint.
hook and loop scotch brite pads on a DA, very fine grade make quick work of the body. Just to give it a little bit of tooth to hold the new paint. I absolutely hate when I see painted hydraulic hoses. It says "I didn't care", and is a dead giveaway that it was a respray, and a cheap one at that, which turns some off for resale ( wonder what they were trying to hide by repainting). Try to cover as many lines and exposed hydraulic shafts as possible with closed cell foam pipe insulation (Armaflex, Rubatex...). Cheap, and quick to apply and remove, plus follows curved lines very well. Plus, no hoses to remove, and no oil drips hampering painting efforts because of it. If re-applying decals, try Glenn Singer @ Quip-Cal in Quakertown, PA. He delivers a great product
I use Tin foil on the hyd hoses and cylinder rods when I'm painting a machine, it goes on and comes off fast and it's pretty cheap. I'll second quip-cal we just started using them, great products awesome pricing and great customer service
Tinfoil is a great idea!
Help me out... What is a DA? But I do know the pads that you are talking about, I'm sure they'd be better than sandpaper. Always seem to hook a small metal sliver and tear up the paper.
DA= Dual Action, some are air powered other es electric:
Lol! Just a terminology thing, I call that an orbital.