Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dead case 580 e

Richard Dayle ยท 2015-09-30 09:43

Hey guys and gals Last week I brought a case 580 e for the little campground I run and was proud as punch. Had power shuttle just done and all ram seals replaced payed 10 k and was ready to get to work. Alas 5 days later it has all ended in tears it started with intermittent grinding noise from the diff only lasted a minute then went away. next morning drives fine so off I go again hour later grinding back and machine stops back wheels will shudder but not move. Try in reverse move freely then starts doing same thing so I get it off the road and life her up (why do we always say her) wheels spin freely with slight crunchy feel wheels will go when driven off ground. So off comes seat and fllor etc remove top diff plate oil very very low no chipped teeth apparent but I find a half circle of metal in bottom of casing about 3 inches across. Have no idea where it came from. Its only fair to tell u I have a masters in bizz not movers any tips hints suggestions of course the bloke I got it off wants nothing to do with it

Replies4
  1. #1lantraxco2015-09-30 11:01

    Low oil, crunchy noises, metal bits in the basement, it's time to tear it all down, check for damage, rebearing, reseal, this time fill and check oil. Get your hands on an owner's manual at least so you know where and how to check fluids, what type is needed where, and the quantities. No offense, it's all part of the learning curve.

  2. #2Richard Dayle2015-09-30 22:22

    Thanx Lantrax I only owned it 5 days used it 3 before it died .. I got the original workshop manuals with it so I have some idea. there is play in the shaft between box and diff that's all I have found so far

  3. #3alrman2015-10-01 01:51

    Welcome to HEF Richard Dayle! Do you think the piece of metal you found is a tooth or a bearing cage? Any chance of putting a picture up for us to see? PS if a mod sees this, could they please move it to "backhoes" :drinkup

  4. #4Richard Dayle2015-10-04 09:16

    hi guys I have nearly pulled it down all teeth etc seem ok is play in both bottom and top shafts of the box but u gotta pull down the whole thing diff etc will keep u updated