Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dealer issues

Just my Luck ยท 2017-10-28 00:00

So I took my machine to the the dealer for repair. They put on a new fuel rail and then they put a new ecm on. Cleared the codes brought back to me I guess around May. I used it to move some dirt about 20 min It D-rated the power and would barely move. Came out of it back to full power. This went on all evening. Came out cleared the codes. Back in action again used it approx 10 Hrs back to throwing codes D-rated again. Dealer came out cleared the codes again several times was trying to figure out what was causing this to happen so intermittent nothing you do could make it do this it was just when it wanted to and come back out of it. So the machine sat in my garage wouldn't start for about a month they would bring some parts put those on still no results. They finally got it to start with some either and it would kind of run. So they come out with a truck to get it. I was at work when they picked it up this was around mid-july and service tech said he had to use a lot of either to get it on the trailer. So they get it to there shop and can't get off the trailer. They think they smell some gas in the fuel. So they drained it put some more in and change the filters. No luck. They used two fork lifts to get into the shop. Still got engine codes. Since they thought they smelled gas in the fuel the out another fuel rail on and 4 New injectors and a new starter and some other things. They find a main 12v power supply corroded in 2 replaced all of that finally got it to start. That was about 3 weeks ago. I stopped by and seen it running smoked like a freight train. It has never smoked. Waiting on a part. I was under the impression that I would have it back the next week. Nope took it to another dealer location had to unload it again with fork lifts and we now have no compression on 1 cylinder took off the head bent valves bent push rods out of time timing gear on crank none serviceable only with new crank. It is in worse shape than when it left. Dealer now wants me to pay for all of the parts they put on and a new engine. I did't tear it up. they say it just happens. The machine is 5 years old 1050ish hrs bought it with 1000 Hrs On it in march. What do I do next?????

Replies18
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-10-28 00:58

    I'd say they owe you an engine as they used copious amounts of Ether on it. Really stupid for a dealer! Better to get a deck truck and winch it on that run it on ether. Ether has been known to bend push rods. What machine and engine is it?

  2. #2jacobd2017-10-28 13:49

    What machine is it and what were the original codes? If the dealer blew it up with ether I'd say they're responsible for a new engine. What kind of crappy dealer uses ether to troubleshoot a no-start on an otherwise healthy diesel anyway?

  3. #3funwithfuel2017-10-28 13:53

    I'm guessing JCB or Volvo branded JCB

  4. #4KSSS2017-10-28 15:24

    Sounds like you better fire up your lawyer and seek his/her advice going forward. I would start collecting as much information as possible, get the exact codes that were thrown, names of who said either was used if you didn't see it. Basically start building your case for court since that is very likely where this will end up. Just make sure you play nice at least until you have the info you need to proceed in civil court going forward. Once the lawyer starts sending letters, all cooperation will cease and you will have what you have now for information. Good luck.

  5. #5Just my Luck2017-10-28 18:59

    It is a New Holland c238

  6. #6GaryHoff2017-10-28 23:01

    +1 on lawyer up time. Get the work orders from the dealership as soon as possible. As long as you didn't sign some pre-authorization sheet you should be fine. Something like this they should also have a report from New Holland tech support. There is 2 possibilities here. 1. The dealership used to much ether, bent the pushrods and it sheered the keyway on the timing gear. 2. The keyway on the timing gear was sheered, and the engine was out of time (thus the no start). Using ether to get the unit started made the issue worse. Sounds to me like this started as a electrical issue, and ether made this into a new engine issue. I get the feeling that they are not to familiar with this model of machine. FYI, the Case and New Holland skid steers are the same, its likely you could get better service from the Case dealership.

  7. #7Welder Dave2017-10-28 23:38

    They could have sent out an inexperienced mechanic out to pick the machine up. What ever the case they turned a code problem into a (complete) engine problem for themselves.

  8. #8Just my Luck2017-12-23 18:37

    Update. On this issue this has been resolved I've been meaning to let you guys know. Well without having to lawyer up we came to an agreement but the best part is I got a new engine on their dime for everything that went with it. I told them it was uncalled for and unnecessary. So for them I believe 20k out of their pocket for their boo boo. So got it back a week ago runs like a top.

  9. #9funwithfuel2017-12-23 18:56

    Good for you, outstanding. And great job on the dealership for owning their mistake. Merry Christmas

  10. #10mountainlake2017-12-24 07:10

    That's a slam on JCB or Volvo for no good reason, I'd have guessed it the same as the machine you use. Steve

  11. #11mountainlake2017-12-24 07:43

    Good dealer, not many will admit their mistakes. Steve

  12. #12Just my Luck2017-12-24 09:23

    Thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well

  13. #13Just my Luck2017-12-24 09:24

    No it's a 2012 New Holland c238

  14. #14funwithfuel2017-12-24 10:03

    Not a slam, just a safe guess. The one armed Volvo is a rebranded JCB and their ecoboost is a turd that rarely survives past 500 hrs. My personal experience with New Holland has been exceptional. You'll not often here me knockin on Volvo products, unfortunately, the one armed SSL's are not volvo products. Only the stickers.

  15. #15funwithfuel2017-12-24 10:06

    See above posting.

  16. #16mountainlake2017-12-24 13:41

    So what model Volvo or JCB went bad in 500 hours and what went bad. mine is way over that with no trouble. Maybe a bad operator. Steve

  17. #17funwithfuel2017-12-24 13:47

    You got a one armed machine? Or do you have the B series based off Scat-Trac? The B's were reliable and strong. C-series on, poop. EGR problems, charged air problems, cracked booms, poor travel, premature pin wear. I could keep going. They were and are duds.

  18. #18KSSS2019-07-05 11:31

    Arnolds Machinery the company that carries Volvo in this area and does well selling excavators and wheel loaders, doesn't stock skid steers at least I have never seen one on their lot. They used to with the Skat Trac version. I can only assume that they want nothing to do with the JCB built skid steer, so much so they are willing to let their Volvo customers go to their competition to fill that need. The single boom has some advantages no doubt from an operator standpoint. They are more safe, I don't think that point can be argued. However from an ownership standpoint they have been a nightmare, the single boom seems to be in a perpetual state of redesign and refinement. I don't have any specifics on mechanical issues beyond that, the Kohler engine that they use is a good diesel engine in other applications, with an outstanding warranty. I know from personal experience that JCB parts are on their own level concerning expensive. The resale of the machine appears very poor. No one likes to have the machine that they bought and maybe are happy with, run down but this line of machines has been fighting these very same issues since the late 90's when JCB introduced the single arm SSL. JCB has to be heavily subsidizing this machines existence, because I don't see how the program can pulling its own weight.