Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dealing with pushy people

Welder Dave ยท 2019-06-10 18:48

Was supposed to have a riding school at the new flat track this weekend but received close to 2" of rain on Friday. Left a message on Sunday with the guy from Flat Track Canada that puts on the schools and said it's too wet and won't be possible. Calls me today and says it's too early to cancel. Guy helping me sent him some pics. I got from a friend out there showing one part of the track under water, not little puddles but a large section completely under water. My thinking is even if we pump most of the water off, the ground still has to dry and we'll have to groom the track. There is also a possibly for more rain in the forecast. This guy says he wants to see the track for himself on Thursday when he gets to town and says it shouldn't be cancelled until then. Then he threatens the guy helping me that if we cancel the school now he will lose all confidence in us and not schedule anything at the track for next year. I think it's very unprofessional and I don't take kindly to threats. We don't want a muddy mess after all the work we did and the riders paying good money for the school wouldn't either. It's no different than if Cane Operator had to postpone a job because it was too wet to get into. You can't control the weather. I think riders would appreciate knowing in advance it's too wet. The guy helping me says it's a big deal to have Flat Track Canada involved. The best I could offer was we check the track out in person tomorrow and then make a call. I'd really like to tell the guy form Flat Track Canada where to go. How do you deal with a guy like this?

Replies8
  1. #1Bls repair2019-06-10 19:07

    You could try the insurance liability card ?

  2. #2Welder Dave2019-06-11 00:33

    They will have their own insurance. We'll have a look tomorrow and can put it all on him if he wants to go ahead and it's a mess. I think he's just counting dollar signs and not listening to reason. I'd like to make some money too but if it's bad may be the end of the track before it even has the grand opening.

  3. #3RZucker2019-06-11 00:48

    Oh how I love to straighten out pushy people. Took a customers truck driver down a few notches because he wanted to bitch about how long a repair was going to take. Told him to head home... He wanted a ride... His boss showed up, hauled him off and said "don't **** with Rob". Truck will be ready to go tomorrow.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2019-06-11 07:23

    Arent d. track races held rain or shine.?? U might wanna reconsider your "grading" if u have a lake in it.. just go fill it in & re-grade it so it drains off.. I love puttin'm in their place too.. I cant count how many times I've walked off of a job.. I just start packing my tools all the while they're b*tchin'.. They finally stop long enough to say, what are u doing.??!! I calmly say, you know more about this than I do, you fix it.. & get back in my truck & drive off. The boss usually would send someone else to the guys place.. but if I happen to be the one that goes back out.. the guy is usually nice as can be.. OR.. I calmly say, LOOK, I'm here to HELP YOU.. I'm NOT the guy who screwed it up.. ... if u have a problem w/ the OTHER GUY, call the office & ask to talk to ***.{boss} SO, do u want me to stay & fix this.. because that truck goes BOTH WAYS..

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-06-11 10:40

    MX can go rain or shine not flat track. The problem is there was a major downpour and you can't do anything if the track is muddy. My thinking is even if I pump the water off the ground still has to dry out and it's going to take more than 3 or 4 days. We shot the track with a laser and not sure why the one area holds so much water. It's within 1/2" of the rest of the straight away. Was planning to have the county grader come out but it would make a mess when it's wet.

  6. #663 caveman2019-06-11 11:16

    Hate to say it Dave but I'm on the other guy's side. I think that most of the riders will be watching the weather forecast and making their plans as well. If you pull the plug this soon and the weather clears up and the track is OK then that would not go over very good for you. Note: I don't know the track conditions or have I looked at the weather in the area

  7. #7Welder Dave2019-06-12 00:21

    Looks like we'll be able to go ahead if it doesn't rain anymore. The biggest issue I had is with the guy being pushy and unprofessional. Threating not to have anything to do with the track next year is out of line in my opinion. A better response might have been to check the track Tue. or Wed. and see how wet it is. We must have the track close to level as most of the water had soaked in. Still a little standing water but not enough to pump. A couple big mud pits though. The pics. I received showed about 2000 sq. ft. completely under water. Last year in the same spot the water would have been over 4" deep. I'm guessing the water may only have about an inch deep. Had a mix of sun and cloud today, even started to spit but was fairly windy so I think that helped a lot. Was able to pull the landscape rake through the muddy areas to help it dry up. A bunch of rolled up mud balls on the track now but they should be easy to remove once it dries more.

  8. #8Mother Deuce2019-06-19 19:45

    I wonder if an old Air curtain destructor would work like a ambient air track dryer. Probably take more laps than surface would stand up to. It would however with some tweaking move a lot of air across your track surface.