Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

decel ?

deerefan ยท 2011-08-21 12:22

So yesterday I dint have any thing goin on, a buddy of mine runs forwarder and processor part time in the woods if work is slow. So he tells me he needs a guy to come in and shape up some woods roads I say sounds good I got nothin goin on. I get to the job we drive the road etc. Guys gotts 750j with like five hours on it, im like cool brand new dozer for me. So I start dozin shaping up the roads, about a hour in the owner of the company shows up and watches me for a couple minutes, then comes up to me and just starts bit#$en then im tearin up his dozer cuz im not decel'in everytime I hit forward or reverse.. now I was taught in a hy. Stat. Dozer u don't have to, only in like a cat were the tranny is actually shifting... so now im wonderin was I tauught the wey wrong wey or what..

Replies23
  1. #1hvy 1ton2011-08-21 12:48

    I was confused about the decel pedal when i ran the 850K sim in Vegas. I couldn't tell if deceling the engine or the tracks. I gave up after a minute and stopped using it. The simulator didn't dock me for not using it...

  2. #2grandpa2011-08-21 13:01

    Doesn't make much difference what's the right way or wrong way if in fact there is. He own's it so it's his way. In my opinion, i'd want mine decelerated too.

  3. #3Dane Myran2011-08-21 15:25

    It says in Caterpillar operation manual that they recommend accelerating everytime for longevity of components. So I would have to say yes you should. Also I believe from my experience that you have way more control over your machine when starting and stopping if you decel. Just my 2 cents!

  4. #4Dane Myran2011-08-21 15:27

    Sorry, decelerating*, Dang auto correct

  5. #5RonG2011-08-21 15:33

    If the pedal is there I use it changing speeds and direction.Ron G

  6. #6willie592011-08-21 16:23

    Well, I know nothing about a 750J so I can't say what is proper. But I was just thinking, doesn't it depend on what type of hydrostat control it has? For example, Cat 963, full control of the drive pump outputs via drive control lever, no "shifting" as it were. For that machine to work proper, needs to be run at full throttle and there is no de-cell pedal. Which makes me have a second thought, a machine that new should have the operators manual in the cab. Check the manual and see what it recommends for operating drives.

  7. #7DPete2011-08-21 17:29

    My thoughts exactly.

  8. #8deerefan2011-08-21 18:24

    Spoke to a good friend at nortrax, he tells me all deeres newer then the 'c' model have a built in cushion in the vavle that designates the direction, he says the decel pedal is purely for control in tight areas or whenver else you would need it, and for starting and stoping. Although he couldn't tell me ne thing about a komat'su or any other hy stat machine, but I guess it depends solely on preference

  9. #9CM19952011-08-21 19:09

    Hmm this topic gets me to thinking, that can sometimes be a dangerous thing..:tong A hystat loader, like Willie mentioned the 963, does not have a decel pedal. A D5G does have a decel pedal and I use it when changing directions, just seems to be easier on the machine and I have more control. The difference between the two machines that I see are this - The "V" control of the loader allows you a range of speeds. The joystick on the D5 is either front or back, lacking the range that the loader has of ground speeds. You don't want to slam the F at full speed all the way around to R on a loader because it's not only rough on you but also the machine and more importantly you loose the finesse the machine has to offer. Two different machines and I think two different operating procedures. I'll continue to use the decel pedal on the 5, just more comfortable for me.

  10. #10willie592011-08-21 21:03

    Absolutely agreed. As I stated, I know nothing about the machine. I only brought up the 963 as an operation example, not to imply the 750J shared similarities. Likewise, would it not be premature, at the least, and possibly factually incorrect for any of us who don't know the proper operation of the 750J to say one should use or does not need to use the de-cell pedal? Deere very well may have designed the machine to operate at full throttle and still make fwd/rev direction changes, one less thing for the operator to have to do, thereby making him more productive, I have no idea myself. My question is, wouldn't the operators manual describe the proper operation of the machine?

  11. #11deerefan2011-08-21 21:35

    Hmm idk I will have to check tmmrw, like I said I don't work for the gentlemen who owns the 750 although were I do wrk we have all deere dozers.. I just asked the ? Cuz it kinda scared me that maybe we were the only company doin it uno. I guess my thinking is that just like in a hoe the engine runs steady and fluid changes direction in the vavle very rapidly.. to my knowledge (im probably wrong) but in a hy-stat dozer the engine is just turning a pump, correct? The wey I figure the machine would jerk very fast from foward to reverse if there wasn't some kind of cushion type system built in.. just my 2cents

  12. #12hvy 1ton2011-08-21 22:16

    Yellow Deere mechanic told that the J-series and newer dozers have an adjustable FNR modulation to fit the operator preferences. Also, the decel pedal can be set to either decel engine and tracks like a gear dozer or decel the tracks and keep the engine up. One could set it with a tight FNR modulation and tracks-only decel and it would be getting close to running a track loader. The decel would sub for the v control.

  13. #13mestizo2011-08-22 00:12

    I don't think you need to decel the hystat Deeres when you switch from forward to reverse. Either way, when you switch the direction, it'll slow down to neutral and then start in the other direction and its like a CVT, so no shifting, just a pump going from positive angle to negative angle. For the decel pedal, I think it can control the speed of the hystat only or the hystat and the engine rpms together, just personal preference. How do you run em?

  14. #14mitch5042011-08-22 00:22

    Just for general interest: The operator's manual for my 1978 D4e powershift (big D4) states that it is not neccessary to use the decel pedal for F-R shifts, nor is it neccessary to go to neutral, or stop the tracks. It is recommended, however, for operator comfort. The manual states that the machine will not change direction fast enough to damage itself, but it will change direction faster than is comfortable for most operators. As far as your situation goes, my thought is: it's his machine, and he's paying you, so try to remember to use it. If the manual says it's not neccessary, I might show him that, but, I'd tell him I'd try to do it his way.

  15. #15terexkerry2011-08-22 01:11

    There are 3 ways you could do it.the right way the wrong way or the bosses way I would go his way Cheers

  16. #16RonG2011-08-22 05:14

    Any operator that has spent much time on the John Deere dozers can testify that John Deere has been on top of this for a long time based on how slow they are to change directions.It is frustrating when you are busy and trying to get things done to have to wait for the machine to respond.It really doesn't seem to make any difference whether you deaccelerate or not but I do as a matter of consideration for the dozer.Ron G

  17. #17deerefan2011-08-22 16:16

    Hmm we run ours were it decels engine and tracks, I dint no u could change it, we tried out a 6k that was like that were it only deceld the tracks I dint like it at all althought I only use the pedel in tight spots or starten and stopin, that's just how I learned to doze, so its weird for me to hit the pedal everytime I shift

  18. #18Aussie Leroy2011-08-26 18:25

    deerefan; I don't think it matters decel or not on hydstat, personly if decel is there i use it, in 963's they need full power all the time because they have a loader on front that is lifting/dumping while manouvering around aproaching trucks etc, But as grampa said it his machine do what he wants (my old boss said it's the golden rule i have the gold i rule)

  19. #19CAT D7 man2011-08-28 20:40

    I totally agree with grampa and Aussie Leroy. They foot the bill, you run like they want. Personally, if the machine has a decel, I use it. It taint there to scrape the mud off your boots.

  20. #20Trashman2011-08-30 11:48

    Agreed

  21. #21t3chw00di2011-09-04 16:29

    hvy 1ton is absolutely correct. If you go into the computer on the dash of that 750J you can set it however you want the FNR lever to react. You can set it slow and smooth or quite aggressive direction changes. I prefer the middle setting. You can also set the decellerator response in the same way. When you press the decellerator you can have it really smooth and the machine keeps rolling to slow stop or you can set it really aggressive so it's like you put your foot on the brake without pushing the pedal past the detent brake position. Again, I prefer the middle setting with that one also. As was also mentioned you can set it so the pedal either slows the engine and machine or just slows the machine while leaving the engine at full revs, which would be good if your hydraulics were a bit too slow when the engine is idled down. I prefer the default (pedal slows the engine). You can also set the hydraulic speed/sensitivity in the computer. Having the pedal there just gives the operator more control, but it definately doesn't NEED to be used for changing directions. The computer takes care of all that, and yes the engine is just running a pump. The owner just doesn't understand the technology built into the dozer. Sorry to say but it's he that should read the manual. My 2 cents.

  22. #22Big Iron2011-09-04 19:45

    i use the decel on every machine that has one. why? because i'm old and that the way i was taught. that being said you adjust the speed change direction to however you like it and it probably won't hurt anything. unfoutunatly in my 40 years of operating not every sititution is not the same, by using the decel you can custom tune each direction change to suit the environment. enough more beer now.

  23. #23ILLICEMAN2011-09-04 19:47

    I have a JD 750 C II.I had cats before.The cats as most know use a torque converter with the PS trans.I always used the decel when changing directions.I felt it was easier on me and the machine. On the 750 as with all hydro machines to change the direction you change the swashplate angle in the pump section of the unit.As the angle changes it always goes to a neutral position when changing directions.While you might not feel this it does this everytime. I still use my decel alot of the time due to habit or working in close quarters but there is really no need in most operations on a hydro machine.