Ok guys I'm looking for advice and experience. I'm seriously looking at the idea of a used mini ex, to take the place of my backhoe attachment for my skid steer. I've lurked around here and learned a ton, but now I need some real world help. I have found several IHI machines but can't find much for dealer support. Whats everybody's opinions of them, they seem to use common major components with a lot of other manufacturers. One more question is a 35 class machine going to be substantially more productive than a 30. I have found a pretty good deal on a 30, but there seems to be a big price jump to a 35. So, if you will impose upon me your knowledge and I'll try to soak it up like a sponge. Thanks guys John
I like IHI excavators. When I needed something I called the Compact Excavator Sales in E-town, KY. They supported me very well. If I needed anything they dropped it in the mail next day. Any mechanic can work on them. Izuzu motors, cant remember who does their pumps, but there are 4 of them so its multi function capacity is excellent. They are very powerful. They are at or near the top in comparative comparisions. I would call them and see what they can do for you. Good people. My last two excavator purchases have been Tak, (TB53 and TB153) reason being the TB153 does things that no other excavator can as well (that would be the Side to Side Boom system). However I would like to run a 65NX.
KSSS Thanks for the quick response and vote of confidence. They look like decent little machines with quality components that a guy can make decent money off of. I'm just scared that in a few years parts will dry up for them. I have found an 03 30N with roughly 1300 hours on it for a very fair price, just gotta decide whether to pull the trigger or not. John
I would not be concerned about parts drying up. IHI is a large company in Japan. You can Google them and you will see what I mean. The company that markets these machines for IHI in the USA has been around for about 15 years in Ky. I made great money with my 35J. Bought it cheap, ran the heck out of it and got almost all my money back when I traded it.
I currently have a 2005 IHI 65nx and this is the 4th mini I've had. Previously i had a Kobelco SK50 (canopy) and Two Komatsu's (PC38 and PC75 [cabs]). All three previous machines were grey market - but had absolutely no problem getting parts - plus they were old enough that they werent real complicated to work on (for a back-yard guy like myself). The IHI is a lot newer than the previous machines - and i have to say i didnt know what i was missing in new features, just in the little details. Having owned several now, my own preference is the offset style "double-hinged" boom - and my ownly real complaint with the IHI is that it is the swing style boom - maybe just takes some getting used to and I dont have it yet. Other than that, I absolutely love the visibility out of the IHI cab - and its definately got nice smooth controls with the joystick style. Depending what you're hauling with, the 65nx weighs in around 14500# i believe - definitely over 15k if youve got a thumb and extra bucket. I haul it with an F450 and tridem gooseneck (32ft). Almost the perfect size (in my opinion) to be getting some serious work done but also being able to finess jobs like rock walls etc. Anyways, sorry for the length on my first post. Been a lurker for a while and really like the source of information here. Ben
Well I made a Decision... I picked up the IHI 30NX yesterday. 2003 1300 hours, good tracks, 12" bucket, clean tight little machine for just under 11K out the door. Now I gotta build a thumb, find a bigger bucket, and put it to work. Thanks for the responses guys, I was leary of the IHI at first but so far I'm impressed. They are simple enough to be enjoyable and easily serviced, but have all the needed features. John
I think that IHI has probably the best control system on a mini excavator. It is in my opinion superior to my Takeuchi. At Conexpo last time I was talking with a rep from TK and mentioned that I used to own an IHI and told him how excellent I thought their control system was. His response was that next to Takeuchi, (of course) IHI has one of the best control systems on the market. I really like the specs on that 65NX. I agree that these 12-14K machines are nearly perfect. Still small enough to get them into a job, but big enough that you handle larger jobs. For my money, they are an excellent return on a mini ex investment.
Here's a pic of the 65nx i picked up. Some of my summer project in the background (Rock walls), currently trying to get my ditching done before the snow flies. Currently, i have nowhere to push the snow off the driveway when it starts falling...
I have to say I love the little IHI I picked up. I have about 16 hours on it now doing some trenching, brush clearing, and general digging. There is no way to compare it to my previous skid loader mounted hoe. When the time comes to upgrade from the 30NX to a bigger or newer machine I'll definitely give IHI a look. This thing just sips fuel too, I love the amount of work it does for so little. Another huge plus is it is attracting work for me at an amazing rate considering it hasn't hit my advertising yet even. Sorry for the ramble John
That is one beefy bucket on that machine - looks like it can shift some earth!!
Takeuchi TB125 or TB135, depends on what size you think you need. I work in the rental industry and have carried almost every brand of machine, and in saying that have had to repair and maintenance almost every brand of machine. The little Takeuchi's are great machines! Very problem free compared to some of the other brands. And trust me, in the rental world, our equipment sees every type of user...from extremely experienced to zero experience and everyone loves them. I'd try to find one with a quick coupler, Wain-Roy style is very common in the rental industry and if you ever needed to buy different size buckets you can get cheap used ones from most rental yards.
Glad to hear the IHI is working out for you. They don't get the press that some of the other OEMs get but they are in my opinion a 1st rate mini excavator.
Wow, that thing is down right mean. How big is that bucket? I like your walls by the way.