Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dedicated mulchers

NZNik ยท 2017-12-20 05:39

Sorry for posting in this forum, I can't seem to find much info on mulching machines/carriers (not the mulching head itself) across the site. I recently posted a thread on CTL's hoping to find some information about a CTL/mulcher combo. A few users talked me out of buying one given the limitations against the conditions I'd likely encounter. I'm in rural New Zealand, we have constantly changing climate, we have some serious hill country etc. I have a couple of hair brained ideas and even more questions. -Tonnes has me interested in dedicated mulchers, particularly the Fecon 128 and Prinoth RT 200. The older Fecon 140's look good too and are probably more affordable. What are these machines like to operate, how about their reliability? What sort of terrain can one handle? - I want to set myself up in a niche market where I can mulch gorse, scrub etc in places where no one else can get to. That is, the really steep hilly country on farms etc. My hair brained idea was to fit a big winch with a long line to the back of the machine to assist with this. Winch assisted mulching. Is this possible? Has it ever been done? Is there some kind of ground anchor device that can hold a 7 ton + machine on a winch? - How do I figure out if there's even a market around for mulching without buying a machine? A lot of guys here use wheeled tractors with duals front and back and seem to clean up most of the terrain that's a reasonable grade. - Finally, I've seen Pisten Bully snow cats repurposed as mulchers. Paired with their 360degree winch, they seem to be able to take on some serious terrain. How well would these machines handle being a forestry mulcher? They look a bit on the light side to me, but who knows

Replies0

No replies yet.