Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hard facing electrodes or wire

walkerv · 2017-12-20 23:41

I have to do some Hardfacing on my morbark grinder so I called them and asked what they use on this particular area they told me Stoody 35 by esab cool but know one around me has it unless i order it in or order it online , Lincoln products are easiest to get i think unless i go with the internet. I can run normal electrodes as long as they are not ac my welder is dc only or i can run .045 or 1/16 flux core, dual shield or solid wire thru my suitcase , does any know what the lincoln equivalent would be to compare with the stoody 35 ? air gas cant tell me when they did call me back they told me 71m outershield , i told them that is not hardfacing Im not sure they know what hardfacing is .

Replies28
  1. #1Birken Vogt2017-12-21 00:52

    I think if you want anything you have to get it on line these days. I don't think anybody has anything nice to say about Airgas local locations.

  2. #2walkerv2017-12-21 02:44

    local location no, they suck i am probably gonna have to call the sales lady to get an answer she is real nice and very helpfull. which is why i posted this question on here , or contact lincoln directly .If i cant get any good info on here internet looking will be going on this weekend when i have time to do so

  3. #3thepumpguysc2017-12-21 04:47

    Just to change the subject "just a little".. Has anyone noticed ALL the products they're "horing-out" on all the tv shows??!!! Garage rehab w/ Richard Rawlings.. at the "big reveal" ..all the Lincoln Welders they "give" away.. & ON ANY HP TV program. Power Block TV.. they run a segment about how ALL the Lincoln welders & equip ARE THE BEST.. I DID SEE ONE that I thought was neat.. it was an "automatic" welder.. you just turn it on & it somehow read what you were welding & adjusted itself??.. Yea, right..

  4. #4DMiller2017-12-21 07:01

    I use Miller products not because of the name(HA!) but reliability. Our local discount centers have tons of Lincolns, where if you look at the name plate Made In China or somewhere well south of the US, I think one I looked at was Brazil. I still frequent a welding supply in Columbia MO where I have bought three welders over the years, were not cheap but still working and work well they also supply all my wire(Handle ESAB), most of my electrodes come from my steel supplier as they are around 30% cheaper and volume distribute while good quality.

  5. #5Tags2017-12-21 07:57

    Here's some stuff I've had for a few years… I've used it on some excavator buckets and had pretty good luck with it.

  6. #6DMiller2017-12-21 08:01

    Got to be careful using that hard facing. Releases hexavalent chromium, would need to be well ventilated outdoors or supplied air hood indoors for the current safety precautions.

  7. #7Tags2017-12-21 08:50

    Good point Dmiller,Forgot to mention that....I've always used it outside....

  8. #8Junkyard2017-12-21 10:55

    All of our hard facing is stick. 95% of it is Lincoln Wearshield. We use A LOT of it. Our tooling doesn't see heavy impacts just a constant pressure in various levels of abrasion. It's all done with engine drive welders in the field or the stick machine in the shop. Unless it's a major long buildup somewhere stick isn't bad. We do lots of augers, mud buckets etc.

  9. #9hvy 1ton2017-12-21 12:20

    Lincore 50 is the only lincoln wire that i can find anything about impact resistance. Wearshield 44 stick electrodes would be something to look into as well. That Stoody 35 has a ton of Cr and haven't seen anything that matches up with that.

  10. #10Junkyard2017-12-21 13:17

    I looked in the welding cabinet, we use Wearshield MI (moderate impact) 5/32. Usually around 130 amps DC+.

  11. #11lumberjack2017-12-21 13:28

    Why pay the local chain shop to order it in when you can order it in yourself?

  12. #12DMiller2017-12-21 14:35

    Why pay the local chain shop to order it in when you can order it in yourself? As I do not use enough any more I order steel I order rods same time. I get a discount when I order with the steel.

  13. #13hvy 1ton2017-12-21 15:18

    That Wearshield MI looks better than the 44 stuff i found.

  14. #14Junkyard2017-12-21 16:29

    We run it a little hotter than I said too, it's close to 150-160 on the 5/32. The 1/8 was the 130 amps.

  15. #15Welder Dave2017-12-21 20:00

    Miller has MIG welders with Auto-set that you dial for the wire size and thickness of material and the machine automatically sets the wire speed and voltage. Some people like, some would prefer setting it themselves. You don't have to use the Auto-set. Wearshield ME is a cross for Stoody 35. Below is a cross reference chart. Hardfacing is generally run a little colder so there is less admixture with the base metal. Too much admixture results in a softer and less effective hard surface. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/US/EN/literature/mc1437.pdf

  16. #16walkerv2017-12-21 23:13

    i dont watch tv but watch you tube instead i do watch some welding channels and they are making some fancy stuff nowaday but it all belongs in a shop not on a service truck doing repairs in the field

  17. #17walkerv2017-12-21 23:17

    i have a trailblazer 325 gas engine and a miller 12rc suitcase on my truck unless you have an old old lincoln engine drive nothing beats the arc performance of a miller

  18. #18walkerv2017-12-21 23:25

    the spot i have to hardface is severe metal to earth abrasion area with moderate to light impact 5000 hrs on the origanal welds so i really want to find something that will last as long again , i dont mind welding stick but given the option I will set up my suitcase if i have to burn more then a small handful of rod the set up time difference goes away quickly when you sit down and start depositing several pounds of weld .im thinking lincore 60 O or G or forget which one is gonna be what i get probably in .045 that should match the existing hardfacing stringer size pretty close .

  19. #19walkerv2017-12-21 23:28

    99 percent of the time i am outdoors welding.the spot i need to hardface will be well ventilated as i have to open the whole grinder chamber up to clean it out so i dont catch it on fire i usually have a couple 5 gallon buckets of water or the trailer mounted pressure washer with me when i have to do hot work on that machine

  20. #20walkerv2017-12-21 23:38

    nice chart welder dave i have saved that in my files for future reference printed out a copy and thru it in my truck too that be good for the arc welding side of it , for my suitcase do you think this would be comparable

  21. #21Welder Dave2017-12-22 01:04

    A Lincoln Ranger 305G has a really nice arc too. The TB325 with Excel power is good combination for saving fuel and engine wear. I'd like to have one of these fancy new machines because they also have a fairly large generator but have to settle for my 1961 SA200. Only does stick but can't complain about the arc though. LoL Lincore 60 would be similar a hardfacing in a wire. Stoody 101HC is another option and depending how much you wanted to go in debt could look at tungsten carbide hardfacing for extreme abrasion.

  22. #22walkerv2017-12-22 13:35

    ii have the low buck tb325 no fuel injection no excel power , which i woulda did a bit more research as the better one has battery charge function which can come in handy at times . Im not buying company is i was looking at that extreme abrasion hardfacing for a couple projects in the future

  23. #23treemuncher2017-12-22 18:12

    I would suggest calling Lincoln and asking them directly. They have been very helpful on the phone for me in the past in order to diagnose problems with welders and other welding questions. Currently using LN-25 suitcase mig box with Lincoln V350 Pro power supply - best welder I've ever tried. I used to use sticks and always carry some on the truck but they deteriorate quickly as vibration knocks the flux off of the rods. Wire is faster and better for me in almost all of my applications. Last time that I was running a lot of hardfacing sticks, I went to mig wire and used stuff that I purchased on Ebay for cheap. After that ran out, I purchased some Washington Electrode .045 flux core wire in 250-HT for build up and 700-HT for overlay. I found these to be easy to use and competitively priced. See Vulcansystems Ebay store for complete write up and decent pricing. Not name brand but they sure do weld nicely and do the job for less money. Another thing that I order is chromium faced stock for some of my most abrasive part replacements. I can custom order most any size that I want and it is pre-cut to my specs. It's fairly easy to cut with a plasma cutter but not much else. I built new skids with this stuff and it wears with no noticeable reduction after 2 years with much use in rock strewn environments. 1/4 on 1/4 is 1/2" thick stock made of 1/4" hot roll backing (ease to weld to base) and a 1/4" build up of chromium carbide hard surfacing. 3/8 on 3/8 and 1/2 on 1/2 is also available, likely more sizes too. In the attached pic you can see the inner housing has been stripped of the old liners (hot roll plates), buffed down to prep for the welding in of new liner materials as seen in the foreground as seen on the long pallet. These parts were the new liner and skids for this Seppi cutter head. Extremely slow wear rates even in rocky conditions. I will likely never have to rebuild the internals of this cutter ever again.

  24. #24walkerv2017-12-29 21:51

    been doing some searching in my off time gonna make a internet order for the lincore 60-o 9.38 a pound , from weldingsupply.com no tax and shipping aint bad unless that is an estimate in my cart , i told air gas sales lady who is a real help if you can get the price at or near 9.38 a pound i will make the order or i will have to go another route , im cut off ordering anthing till next monday anyways so i will give her till tuesday morning to see what she can make happen

  25. #25walkerv2018-01-12 00:36

    I gave airgas a chance ,made an order . Whole order has been screwwed surprisingly not by them . Wire came direct from Lincoln looked at shipper had the rite stuff printed on it . Open box wrong stuff *** , airgas can't get a phone call back from lincoln. She is trying to make them ship it next day free as they took Forever to ship the wrong stuff now I'm in a bind have all the other welding and repairs done and just need to redo the hardfacing .they want to use the machine 3 days ago .not happening. All welding supplies will be internet shopping now I give 2 ***** about having to use national accts.

  26. #26walkerv2018-02-01 17:29

    Lincore 60-O seems to be working pretty good did build up on some hammers with just some plain er70s6 . Not sure how the carbide weld is liking being welded over on some of these but seems to be working fine so far .

  27. #27White Excavating2018-02-01 23:17

    Construction Equipment mag had a good article I enjoyed reading on hardfacing in their January 2018 mag. You can read it on their website in the archives of back issues if you don't get it. Seen this and thought I would share that.

  28. #28walkerv2018-02-02 01:20

    Found it and read it . It was a pretty good article. Makes me think next time i should use an actuall build up wire , but my only impact is with wood, unless something foreign finds it way into the limb yard , then it doesnt matter if its big enough the mill has be torn apart hammers fixxed up reweighed and reinstalled again .