Saw this on a trailer in central IL the other day, I thought it looked awesome with the 3 shank ripper. Geno
Nice looking dozer.
Very nice!! :drinkup Here are a couple more 1050J's in not-so-common applications.
Who makes that pull scraper?
A few comments.The lowboys sure looks low to the ground ,wouldn't want to cross to many railroad tracks especially around here.Might snag. Great looking machine don't know much about them,but it has the looks of a dirtmover .Love the looks of the big stacks. I love running a dozer ,but in a trash dump just wouldn't be my bag for sure. I think the scraper looks to be a Brons scraper????? Awesome looking dozer ,would like to give one a spin a time or too. Anyone else have experience running one of these and how they perform.I can't spell the name of the manufactuer ,they are built over seas for Deere. Does this comapre to D8 or bigger:beatsme?They also make a 950 series.:usa
Constructo The lowboy driver had to stop and raise it to over one set of tracks, was fine on all the others he crossed. He did that so he was under 14 ft tall and saved him a bunch of miles on his permit. Otherwise he would have had to go around some lower bridges. It was going to a sand plant quarry to rip up sand. They now have a D8 and a D10. Sounds like the performance on it is very good as they had done a demo and now are buying one. Geno
Oh good -- I see Ryan went back to the 1050s. Grrr.
The Deere 950 and 1050 are Liebherr built machines as far as I know. I've never even seen one here. I'd reckon you'd class the 950 as a D7 size machine and the 1050 as a D8 sized machine. I'd like to know how expensive they are to operate over a long period of time with that hydrostatic transmission. It would be pretty neat to put one through its paces.
A place I used to work one time took one on a demo.....didn't go so well. They took delivery while waiting for the next job to start, so it was delivered to the shop. When they walked it around the shop to load it onto the bed to go to work, one of the doors actually broke off....hadn't even gone to work yet. When it made it to work, it didn't do much but wait for the dealer mechanics. We had it for a couple of weeks and probably didn't get more than 40 hours on it since it was always broke down. I know this put a sour tatse in the owner's mouth, but I am still a firm believer that we simply got a bad machine....can happen with any manufacturer. Brian
Mack truck + Low bed + big ass Deere = sexy threesome.
thats what i thought too pretty tough looking setup, the only thing is that i like the deck on the back to cover the wheels on the trailer.
Pull Scraper That looks like the same Dozer/Scraper that was at the John Deere proving grounds. The scraper is a Brons conversion on a Cat scraper. A Brons built Scraper is made just a little different. I had a Talbert trailer like that. The normal ride height is 6 inches and can be adjusted from 4 to 16 inches. Great for over height loads.
RKO: You might be right but I thought Ryan was using Cat 463 scrapers but not positive. When did you see the Tractor/Pan about 4 years ago at the John Deere proving grounds? From what I remember John Deere gave them a unreal warranty package on the 1050 to pull them away from Cat D8R's. Haven't talked or heard how the 1050 held up or if they got anymore. I don't know how the Hydrostatic trans is holding up but when put next to a D8R with the same setup they smoked the Cat's!
nice deere!
Good looking machine, I don't get the short section of rockguard in the center of the swing frame though, just to help keep the track on I guess.
Here where i live you see the short track guards used,not like the full length rock guards used in other places.More dirt and mud ,luckly few to no rock here. The main purpose is for if your doing a lot of slope work,just another guide for the rails.When the tracks get really wore is where they help the most.Keeps the rails in line and not as easy to throw the tracks when they get worn. Best thing is just keep your track in the best of shape that you can afford,saves on a lot of grief on down the road sometimes:cool2.:usa
OK, I'm used to full length on the Cat oval track, even if it's not rocky they help to keep dirt out of the rollers when turning. Did a search on the tractor 335HP and 85000 lbs so it's about D8 size, don't know about the hydrostat though as far as durability goes. Oil cooling is important, Time will tell.
Off subject some but for here the full length guards ,you don't see. The reason i don't like them is i work in a lot of mud wet clay,so it would tend to pack in and the roller not want to turn as good.Especially this time of the year where it freezes at nights,with mud in there they don't turn and or slide ,then you get flat spots on your roller. I also like to be able to see my rollers how they are wearing and if they are turning okay in case a bearing goes out and with the full lentgh ones you have take them off to see much of what is going on.Plus if you want to measure the hightwear) of the rollers. Looks to be a pain,unless you was working in rock a lot then you need them.:usa
Damn that doze looks good on that trailer!
JUNK! Deere Dealer tried to get us to switch from Cat to Deere. They hauled it up to location for us to "test" 3 hours into it the machine broke down. Should have seen the faces when they returned to see it setting on a island with 6 other Cat D8's working away. Its made to compete with a D8 but its a joke. Looks good but looks dont mean a thing
here u go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQeyjmJ_5ks&feature=PlayList&p=68EECB3E74205C02&index=3
At the end of the day I never thought I could afford anything but Cat.
From what I understand it is a re-badged Liebher 752, I had one of those working with me on a project and it worked well. I was happy to have it there, even given the fact that the operator was a beligerent comunist, it saved me a lot of work and time.It might not be your dozer of choice but to say that they are "junk"? I have worked with a lot worse and that's for sure. Cats are not immune from problems either, just a few months ago I ran a new D6T for all of 2 minutes and had to park it up, it took 2 days to sort it but I'm not claiming that 6T's are junk. Chau
I demoed an earlier 1050, ran it side by side with a D-8R. It was a good machine, but I was not ready to switch from Cat. I would not say junk, as LDK says, any machine can break down. The first D-8R I was aroun lost the engine at 140 hrs, but I will take an 8R any day. If the 1050 was what was available, it would do fine. I am concerned about the lifespan of the hydrostatic drive on that big of a machine. 20 ton and under, it is fine, but I question it on a 40 ton machine
my reason for the "junk" comment is when i ran it it had a really slow engine pickup time, if you start at the base of a 2-1hill it really bogs and doesnt seem to pull its self to high revs. Also, you sit straight in the machine and after an hour of operating your neck is sooo damn sore. My other complaint is have you ever gotten a straight track full of mud? and a high track cat? which one is faster to clean??
Thats not uncommon with the new engine emission requirements. Ive heard the 8ts seem to be the same way. Mud, thats a wash. Ive dug out high tracks and oval tracks on a daily basis. Put a Komatsu D85 up against a D7H with packed tracks. Ill take the Komatsu any day. I may have to spend more time bent over, but you dont have as much material packed in there
It's now a rebadged 754, but Deere is taking more liberties with the design than it had in the past (Deere engines, for instance).
OilFieldHand, I agree with you on the seat position, I like that little twist.
simply cool!!
Oh its not a huge difference, but having a high track that you can shovel all areas of and chip at easy is just something I really like. I have spent several days chipping FROZEN mud out of these High Track Cats and its a big PITA no mattter how you look at it. I came off of a small construction company running a Case 850G long track and I would avoid mud muddles if I had the chance lol
p.s. love this forum, glad a site like this is around.
Tigerotor is right, it is NOT the same machine as a Deere 1050C or a Liebherr 752 as I understand. If you look at a 1050C it has the oval looking final drives and the 1050J has normal final drives. Geno
I remember reading in my Deere equipment mag I get every month from the dealer that when they went to the J series for the 1050 and introduced the 950 they changed final drives to a more traditional type like you see on the Cats and Komatsu's. They also did this with the new D series track loaders. I saw a new Liebherr dozer awhile ago and it looks like they have also changed their final drives as well.
"J" vs "C" Several changes were made to the operation and cab design on the "J" including increased weight on the 950, along with increased horsepower. Still running the Liebherr Engine...changed the engine management software and cab controls to a "Deere" design similar to 850 and down....load sensing hydrostatic. I am not sure which "C" was run with a straight seat because every "C" and "J" I have been around has an angled seat. Nevertheless, updates to the final drives were also made and a more robust undercairriage was placed on these two new units. Deere continues to have more design input on these machines as the relationship with Liebherr grows. By the way Ryan is running RWF Bron pans distributed by Panther Industries out of Wisconsin. There are a few other companies running 1050's w/RWF Bron scrapers around the country besides Ryan. Ryan switched from Rome to RWF due to more input to re-design and quality control in manufacturing.
Sure is pretty.
good lookin machine I was wondering, how exactly does a hydrostatic transmisson work?
nice machine, i would take one any day over a cat. i'm sure the hydrostat is a little more maintenance intensive, but the productivity gains make up for it and the price/warranty package is a bit better.
Hydrostatic transmission. Hi, Chevy94. A hydrostatic transmission in a track loader or dozer is basically 2 (or more) hydraulic pumps driving (usually) 2 drive motors, one for each track. In operation, the transmission control lever controls the volume and direction of the flow from the pumps to the drive motors and speed is usually infinitely variable from stopped through to 'full speed in both directions', but only one at a time. However, most hydrostatic transmissions give the ability to make 'spin' turns where one track is going forward and the other backwards, so I guess you could say that you could be going 'full speed in both directions'. I have found the Cat hydrostatic transmissions in the 943 and 953 track loaders to be very reliable, very productive and very manoeverable. Other than hydraulic excavators, where you commonly have independent controls for each track, these are the only hydrostatic transmissions that I have had any great amount of experience on. I have run - briefly, like 1/2 an hour or so - 2 JD 850 dozers and 1 JD 755 track loader and found them also to be very productive and very manoeverable. Due to the brevity of my experience with them, I can't comment on their reliability personally but I have not been exactly inundated with bad reports of them. Most skid-steer loaders have a similar system to excavators these days, with independent controls for each side. Hope this helps.
Thanks Deas, once again you provide a very understandable and great response. Little did I know I've had experence with this all along on just a smaller scale. I've worked for a commercial mowing business and all of our mowers were hydro driven with a pump for the 2 rear drive tires. I shoulda known but thanks again Deas. On a 1050 you'd think the maintence would be very intensive. I question the reliability of a hydro trans on such a big machine.
Hydro Trans maintenance. Hi, Chevy94. I'm no expert but I can't see any reason why the maintenance should be any higher/more intensive on a BIG machine hydrostatic transmission than on a smaller one - - - provided that the bigger one is ENGINEERED to cope with the loads and strains and that it has sufficient oil capacity and cooling to be able to keep the oil in a safe working range. After all, most of the LARGE excavators and hydraulic face shovels these days feature hydraulically driven drive trains and they give little trouble. Admittedly, they are not working full time but the O&K RH 400 is around 1,000tons these days. That's a fair bit heavier than a JD 1050J and these excavators do sometimes tram some fair distances moving around a mine. Time will tell. Can you see a Cat 'D11V' with hydrostatic drive? LOL. And I may yet end up laughing at my own joke - for a different reason. Cat said for a long time that they would never build an electric drive dump truck and now rumour has it that they are looking at doing just that and maybe a scraper too.
Deas I know first hand that Cat is going to unveil something new at ConExpo that will rock the heavy construction world.
that sound interesting!!Do you know more?Is it a dozer?
I'm actually surprised that no one has posted pictures anywhere on the web. Apparently she's sitting out in the expo hall uncovered. March 11 will be here soon.
Yeah Deas your right, if the engineering was done right I would think that it would hold up. But as you said time will tell.
Diesel electrics have proven performance in Locomotives and dumpers like Liebherr T 282 B. Hydrostatics also have a niche in the market for variable speed on tracks and such. Progress and change will come from sales, not just from good ideas!!............C ya..........Ray
OOOhhhhh you must be talking about the LOW DRIVE and HYDROSTATIC D7 in their booth I guess low drives and hydros just gained a bunch of credibility because Cat finally did it!! I don't get how this rocks the heavy contruction world other than an admission that powershift high drives are not all they are cracked up to be:nono
I see the primary advantage of the hydrostatic drive in the precise control and manouverability. This is most helpful doing finish grade, and in crowded areas. Up to about a D-6 size machine, it makes a lot of sense to me. I just do not see the advantage on the larger machines of going hydrostatic. I demoed a 1050 for a week, side by side with a D-8R, and I did not see any advantages. This low drive D-7 will be interesting, but it sounds like it may be a few years behind Deere, who has owned the small hydro market. Cat really had to play catch up there. I just do not see it coming for a D-8 and larger machine. Now to stir things up, what does anyone think about an electric wheelmotor where the final drive sits??
I just stumbled on this thread... wow that looks like a heck of a dozer. I'd like to take a crack at that sometime. As for electric wheel motors... I started my career in mining by driving old Euclid 170 ton dumptrucks. The dynamic brakes SUCKKED and runaways were a very common thing. I swore once I got into mechanical drives I wouldn't ever drive another electric. Well beggars can't be choosers and along came the 930E Komatsu's. They are AWSOME. I spent the better part of a year in one and would hop right back in if given the chance. Very stabile and very fast. Dynamic brakes were terrific also. I have never run a electric loader or loco so that's all uncharted territory to me.
See Cat press release: http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=37408&x=7
DLMKA WOW, I was just joking when I said that, and it seems I was onto something after all!!
Jerry, look at "electric wheel" on the web. Max Torque delivered from first revolutions. It was initially designed for electric marine use but good ideas will be adopted by other industries........C ya..........Ray
1250j I know alot of you will think I'm crazy, but I heard that LieDeere is working on a 1250(D10) size dozer. They have no desire to go bigger then that.(I've heard) It will be interesting to see what goes on. I just hope they have all the kinks worked out when they get released if they do:idea
Electric drive dozers???????????????? Hi, Folks. Methinks I have heard somewhere that the 'Russkies' had a bit of a toy some years ago that was diesel electric powered/driven. I can't confirm this rumour but maybe somebody here can either confirm it or shoot it like a duck in flight.
Red electric Deas, it's funny you should mention the Russian electric dozer, I had never heard of it till last year. I had been working there on and off over the last five years and had the same Russian dozer hand working closely with me. He had been in the military but with me spent a lot of his time on a D6R LGP, he had no time for the Russian dozers that were available to the public but told me that things were different for the army. He said they had this electic dozer that to the best of my understanding had a lot wider tracks than the LGP 6, obviously the blade was wider also the machine was longer. He reckoned the pushing power was fantastic, which was the complete opposite to the 6R we had we both hated it. I asked if he had pictures but he didn't. While their, I did see the dozer that you posted. Russell
Deereman, I have heard a 1150 or 1250 coming down the road from Deere. Maybe both? I think it is several years down the road yet though according to a Deere rep I talked to. I also think hydrostatic or electric drive will be the future of all dozers, just not sure how soon it will take off. Everything I have heard about the 1050J has been very positive. They work awesome with a ripper or scraper because sometimes on a D8 you could go faster than 1st gear but it wont pull it in 2nd and the 1050J will go between those two speeds. That is production. Electric drive would have the same infinite speed advantages as hydrodstatic drive. Geno
I've spent quit a bit of time on 1050s at first I hated them. Then I ran one that was turned up all the way then I didn't mind them. They will make a smooth operator out of you or you will beat yourself to death. I do hate them for pushing scrapers though and wish that had a true decelerator. Thats odd I herd Deere was going to quit bringing over the 1050s.
So they have 2 new D7 models out? LoL! Or did the excitement of thinking you get to bash Cat get the best of you? Kinda reminds me of a puppy that gets so excited he pees all over the floor. Its also the same reason nothing you say carries any weight with me.
The hydrostat machines i have been around ! When you pull the lever back from turtle to rabbit it goes fine as long as you don't have a load on it. As you get a heavier load on the machine you have to either keep adjust the travel to macth the load or the machine just starts slowing down until it stalls. I realize the new ones they have surely improved or hopefully.But seem like you was running more in turtle then rabbit.:beatsme:usa
i will go to work with a smile now
That first picture looks very nice with the water coming up. I can't wait untill I grow up and can drive some of these.
As a dozer should look... The Deere 1050 is a very nice machine... Although all my equipment is John Deere (scraper, excavator, loader) I still can't buy a Deere dozer. I currently have a D6D that is in perfect condition. Caterpillar just makes dozer's tougher for those of us who don't buy new!
Any link to the Brons scrapers it is towing?
I was talking to a Deere rep at Conexpo and a 1150 Deere is coming. It is still some time away but they have it on the drawing board but he couldn't confirm whether there is one running around somewhere or not.
So I might have been a little quick to jump to conclusion on the hydro portion of my comment. I'll be first to admit that one. Electric drive is somewhat revolutionary, at least in a dozer. I do however stand by my comment on the low versus high drive. There is a lot to be said for a commonality in platform direction. For the last 25+ years the drum of the high drive advantages have been beaten hard and many died in the wool Cat lovers have bought into it and now they don't know what to believe. All of a sudden Cat says if a machine doesn't have a suspended undercarriage design the high drive doesn't really apply. The funny thing about this is that it is the same thing that ALL of Caterpillar's competition has been saying since the introduction of the smaller (<D8) high drives. Other than that Lashlander, anyone that takes such personal offense to something said about an equipment manufacturer has really got to get out more. The fact that my comments got to you so bad simply illustrates my point above!!
Hey Renfroe, do ya'll still have that 700J? Justin
Wow, you must think your something special. Why would I care if you bash Cat? I was just commenting on the fact that your thinking you could get a quick jab in there made you look like an ass. I am a little curious though. How many hours do you have operating all these pieces of equipment you like to bash?
My first post. I work at a pulp mill in NB Canada. We have a Liebherr built Deere 1050c for pushing chips here. They bought it over a D8R, Komatsu ?, and 1 more I can't remember. The Deere was bought because of the 50k they saved. I will say that it is a nice machine to run, smooth, quiet, nicer than the d8. Reliabillity sucks big time, it's down right now again, it's only a rad hose and been waiting a week for it. Evey fitting is a speacial one. Hydraulics overheat in the winter. Service tech can't get it to steer straight half the time, always pulling left or right. Changed every pump once, some twice, motor rebuilt, hydraulic hoses cooked from being so hot. It is decent on fuel though. We all said to buy the Cat but what do operators know? They have almost 200k into repairs and it's only 3 yrs old. Too bad cause when it is working it is very nice to run.
Wow, thats some repair record. My 3 year old D-8T has been down 2 times, both less than an hour to repair a hose, and had Cat service tech on it 2 times for electrical issues, but the machine was still working, just had some blade and ripper control glitches, but still usable.
Nice:notworthy...my baby's a 850 JD (same as a d6) I have built roads, pads, inpit dump, it pushes TS-14's, and spends alot of time ripping and have found it has power enough to do the job. She's been a damned good machine, never had any problems with it. Blew the intake hose on my turbo once and only because of mechanic stupidity. Boss went down to Vegas for the big show and looked into ordering me a 1050...if he ever makes up his mind it'll be 2009 b4 I get it :beatsme He brought me back a JDFLEET cdrom and it show the prototypes for the 1150 and 1250 not the whole kitandkaboodle obviously...can't have some squirrley dudes takin pictures of it engineering mastery and tryin' to copy it, but they look pretty fantastic! i'll snag some pics and post 'em.....but for now....one of my co-workers playing in a puddle JD40t
We had blew at least every Hyd hose on one of the 1050s I ran in under 6K hrs. maybe had been our own fault though.
I think it's the machine, ours cooked them till they were brittle and all had to be changed at least once so far.
Liebherr/Deere Dozers I've never had the opportunity to operate a piece of Liebherr equipment, nor do I see many of their machines on projects in upstate NY; mainly due to lack of a dealer network. I don't think Deere customers in this region are comfortable with big Deere dozers (950J/1050J), and track loaders are practically nonexistant in this region, Cat or otherwise. I did have the opportunity to look over Liebherr/Deere equipment recently at Conexpo. I was very impressed with build quality, engineering tolerances, sheet metal work, sheet metal thickness where it counted, fit and finish, paint quality, materials in the cabs, and ergonomics. The 1050J on display at Deere's exhibit also had the same characteristics. I've operated newer and older Cat, Deere, and International dozers, and all had features and characteristics I liked and disliked, all of them broke down at one time or another (If it's yellow it's going to break). But I will tell you I was impressed with the Liebherr/Deere machines. I hope to someday have the opprtunity to operate one. If any of you had the opportunity to visit the Liebherr exhibit or look over the 1050J, I like to know what you thought.
Here is our 1050c going to the garage for maint again !
I wish I never found this thread, I have more experience on this 1050 then any technician in the country and I can back it up. So can Liebherr and Deere, there is not a single component on this machine I have not touched. I have a headache know, thanks.
awful knawful, what mill do you work at? I work at Irving Pulp and Paper down in Saint John. We have two D8Rs with the chip blades. the newer machine runs on the chip pile while the older one works on the bark pile. I'll try to snag some picture sometime.
WOW that 1050J definately looks nice, looks like some interesting info on here about all the different dozers.
I don't know about this one. But the little time I played on a newer JD I was impressed with the controls. If JD puts their minds to it they could make a nice large dozer. I suppose hydrostatics and electric is the cheap thing of the future, it is easier than making a bevel gear steering clutch and powershift transmission combo. That means more profit, also makes the parts departments happy, since a precision pump and motor are not inexpensive items. Electrics are even better, not just anyone can repair them, and the more they use electronic modules the better, because they will never sell or let out the schematics and repair instructions for them. Its better for them to charge 5K for a reman unit. Well not sure what they charge just a wild guess. But just like the computer industry, electronics is an easy money maker especially with its integration into heavy equipment. "Reman" it could be a simple power diode that is burnt out and cost of the fix less than $30. and then they box it and sell it for what ever the cost is, which I'm sure is more than 30 for a reman electronic control unit for a dozer or excavator.
I think your a little conspiracy theorist, but I will call you half right. The rise of Reman components isn't completely having to do with complexity of rebuilds, it has to do with labor and labor rates. For a high paid technician to rebuild a component that he has never or only done once takes longer than a Reman guy who is paid less and can do faster. So instead smart dealers are using their higher paid cocky, smart ass, technicians to diagnose the problem and then using lower paid "green" guys to do the part changing. There are guys that I work with that can change parts faster than I can, but can't diagnose problems as quick as I can. Plus being certified in about every machine family there is Deere has a program for us that allows for diagnostic time. Normally when we diagnose a machine under warranty we don't get paid for diagnostic time, only the SPG or Flag time if you will. If you have a dealer who is using Reman to do all their replacements needed or not, then they are just a lazy dealer. ECUs, CCUs, TCUs, MDUs, OEUs, FLCs, SSMs, and so on are non-serviceable parts. It wouldn't be xost effective for the customer or the dealer to bust out the Oscilloscope and diagnose the controller. I have done it, but on my own time out of curiosity. Some of the old technology you are talking about is not all about the cost, those components are not better. The cheap new technology you are talking about is more about efficiency then anything else. Lets take a PVC on an excavator for example, one of its main functions is to put the hydraulic pumps in and out stroke. This can be done with pilot lines and extra valves, but that is a slow cumbersome design that is not as smooth in its operation. Uses more power due to more hydraulic lines and valves to shift, uses more fuel. Instead we can simply use a controller to send a variable milliamp signal to a solenoid via small wires and then stroke the pumps. This is virtually an instant stroke of the pumps and uses less hydraulic power, and uses less fuel. Now add several systems to the equation and now you have a much more efficient machine than previous years. This technology doesn't necessarily cost less than your bevel gear setups it is just better. However I will agree the technology is not here yet for larger Dozers: D9, D10 size. The Liebher LR762 Dozer is close, but still is no D9. I could go on and on, but I think you should look at another point of view before you attack the technology in front of you. You can either embrace and learn or be left behind, it's that simple.
I work at the AV Cell mill in Atholville. We've had a D8r for a winter on the pile and the Deere is nicer to run (smoother,quieter, more comfy), just the reliability is not there at all.:beatsme AK
Here is a picture I found of when a not so experienced operator put the dozer in the hopper on a night shift. The hopper looked full but was hollow underneath, he drove over it and this is the result. AK
Another angle. Yes it was stuck bad. Cat backhoe dug it out. No damage at all ! AK
AK, any further problems with suh an situation? Can you drive the dozer just out again or do ou have to call for help? I don't have any experiance with Liebherr dozer - or dozers in general - but from what I've heard from contractors oand operators running them is - the straight-ahead steering can be a problem due to sometimes bad synchronised hydr. drive engines. Heard that 3-4 times - when working in hard rock, the joystick steering can be a PITA. Shocks during the ripping and rocking and rolling can result in unwanted steering commands. I have to admit that I was told about this problem by an hardcore-D9-fan, an old operator with a "hot dog" style of operating +the fuel consumption is very good from what I've heard +and the steering is comfortable and easy to learn 2004 I had the opportunity to get a factory visit tour at the Liebherr plant in Telfs, Austria, where these tractors are built. A feature of the Liebherr design that really surprised me was the "box-type" design of the dozer. As far I understand it, ther is no main frame like in Cat or Komatsu dozers, but a hull like in a tank or a ship. Dispite from the D575 and some soviet tractors, I think Liebherr dozers are the only ones built like this. Am I right or wrong? Max
OK AK, know I know it better! Thanks for sharing these pics.
Yes we have had problems with the synchronizing in forward and reverse, will pull to on side or the other. It's pulling to the left in forward just a bit right now. AK
No damage but probably an embarrassed operator! Glad to hear it came out alright.
A lotta holes... I really like the guard on top of the, its just made of the same steel plate as the blade itself. Are your parts laser cut? AK, I see that your JD has holes in it's track shoes. Are these optional JD shoes or where do they come from? I guess it's somethiong self-cleaning to reduce UC wear. Eeerm, just curios, but how hard is the work for these dozers?
Embarassed for sure. We still razz him about it from time to time. We actually have a "wall of shame" and this is one of the pics on it ! AK
Another stuck. The machine wouldn't go forward and couldn't back up any farther. Different operator. Here it is already half dug out by an escavator. AK
The blade is made by Craig here in New Brunswick, they make really nice blades, buckets and other attachments. The guard is made of the same steel plate as the blade. It's cut out so we can see the blade loading with chips, it also saves some weight and improves visibility when the blades unloaded. The shoes I am unsure of but they are probably part of the chip package the machine came with. AK
Now I noticed that there is a cover plate on the engine hood. Looks like a protection to prevent chips are getting sucked into the engine compartment. These wood-chip dozers got a lot of interesting details....I am impressed!
i like
JD 1050J: A year has passed; anything new? Hi! Newbie on this forum--I'm interested in the 1050J for a chip pile application in the East Kootenays of BC. The only info I have right now for chip pile applications is from Awful Knawful with his woes with the 1050C and some third hand info from the dealer where a 1050J was demo'd on Vancouver Island but the boys in the operators seat wanted Cat so the JD got turfed. Awful, are some of the overheating troubles with your 1050C ironed out yet? We're running some 23-year old TD-25G Dressers--I posted some photos on the Red Power site a few months ago. They have to be the oldest Internationals still still working industrially in a 24/7 application!! Next stop, some museum somewhere! If anyone has more experience with the 1050J's please post your opinions, thoughts and photos here! Thanks, Jon.
The overheating issues have not been fixed. They can't figure it out?! We just got it back again, after 3-4 weeks down for that same hydraulic pump. Thet changed it 4 more times before they got a good unit! 4 times, who refurbishes these pumps! A crackhead? Geez! When the "boss" was researching this machine he found a landfill in the US that had 6 of them. The "boss" called to ask how they liked them and got "we replaced them all with new CATS". So the "boss" bought it anyway because it was $75-100k cheaper than the CAT. After the first year the mechanic added up the repairs and they were $125k, there went the savings! Stay away! I will PM you the mill mechanics phone # here at work if you would like to ask him some questions, he could tell you more, I'm just an operator. Stay away from the Deere/Liebherr! Shawn
sawmilleng i sent you an email
1050J is quite a bit different than a 1050C. The C series is a Liebherr design that didn't change much from the late 80's on.
Overheating issues how? Coolant or hydraulic?
hydraulic
I have a Cat D-8T that will be 4 years old at the end of this year, and the ONLY repairs other than wear items have been 2 hoses and one o-ring. It was also taken in to Cat once for an updated wire harness at no cost. Hard to beat a record like that. I would buy another Cat in a heartbeat if the work was there for it.
We had one of the original 1050Cs come in on a demo where I used to work, and it didn't go well. One of the cab doors, I think it was the right side, fell off before it even went to work, and it went downhill form there. Here's hoping the 1050J is better.
We have a new D8T with a chip package on order, should be here in Jan. I don't know why they never went back to a Deere! LOL
Has any of these machines had the fan motor moved from the bottom of the cooler to the top? Fan speeds? I may still have pictures of our modification. Also have they used the "Black Box" to adjust the hydrostatics?
Fans have been sped up many times. Fan is still at bottom of cooler. Cooler has been changed. We have our own "black box" for adjustments, and that too has been sent out as it failed!
awful knawful, How many hours are on this tractor? In my experience machines in this application get a ton of hours in a short amount of time.
Not too sure. First engine was 16000 hrs, second was about the same. I would guess at least 40000+ hrs. Yes it has the hours but it has been like this since NEW!
As most can tell, I am a Cat guy when it comes to dozers, but if you have over 40,000 hrs on it, it can't be that bad of a machine. 16,000 hrs on the engine is about comparable to what I wopuld expect from a Cat, and anytime you get 30 to 40,000 hrs on something, it will be showing some problems. How about drive motors and hydraulic pump life?
Thats what I'm saying. The hyd motors have been failing since new, overheating since new. The last pump they changed lasted maybe a month, had to be changed again. There is always something wrong. Seems we can't go a week without a failure.
i worked for a company that had some disagreements with the cat dealer and shut down all deals with cat and started buying liebherr dozers (liebherr 734 lgp) they where supposed to be saving fuel from what they where used to from the cat d6r series 2 they got a good deal from the liebherr dealer because all the companys excavators are liebherrs the two first dozers ran about one day then the track fell of one of them the other couldnt start and the only way these dozers save fuel is because they are so ****ing slow if you **** on the blade it wont go higher than 1st gear and its impossible to force the transmission like you can in a cat i worked on a site with my old d6r series 3 and in two slots side by side with a brand new 734 we filled our blades in the same pace but i had about one more cubic meter with me and when my blade was full i could just carry it with me and shift two gears up to 2.5 and the liebherr disappeared faster than you can say **** because it cant go higher than 1st gear when loaded and the danish liebherr dealer told me that liebherr and deere is the same dozer except for the design
oh i forgot to say that the companyt do not buy liebherr dozers anymore they are going with cat again
Well for us pushing chips, normally in 2nd gear, the Deere is faster. Not by much but it is. However while you're sitting (every hr or 2) to let the Deeres hydraulics cool for 15-30 mins is when the Cat soon catches up and surpasses the Deere in production. We can get pretty busy because 3 or 4 pulp mills have closed near us and the sawmills bring most of their chips to us. Having the machine cooling or BROKEN DOWN AGAIN really puts pressure on the operator trying to do his job. We don't just push chips from the truck in the mill. We have 4 piles going at all times. 2 hardwood and 2 softwood. The fresh chips are spread out to sit (age) for a while, and we have aged chips that we push into the mill. Plus we have self unloading trucks we have to push and also a chipping plant (hardwood) to push also. We can get really busy, and I've seen 11 out of 12 hrs pushing chips per shift. Any downtime sucks, and we have quite a bit with the Deere.
Well it ALMOST lasted a week this time. Down again! They should sell it for scrap!
Whats the SN on your 1050?
LU1050C007359 - down for at least 2 weeks. Brakes are all destroyed.
How can the brakes be destroyed in a Hydrostatic drive? You don't shift gears either. It's a range selector. Are you sure you know what your dealing with? Are you the operator, mechanic or a spectator?
40,000 hours? Geez... Whos doing the wrenching? Is the machine still under warranty?
I know that Liebherr's are expensive to buy and their parts are around a Cat. But I have also heard that if you plan on keeping the unit for it's lifetime, you can get 30k plus hours on their engines. I have seen scrap excavators with over 40k hours and the only thing done is the standard services.
Are you a mechanic? Have you had experience with these 1050Cs? I'm just an operator, but the mechanics do tell us what the problem is! Yes it has 3 "ranges" not gears. When not going forward or reverse, brakes come on, is how the mechanic explained it. I know if I stop on a hill and put the joystick in N it will not roll away! I've operated this machine from day 1 and all these problems are not made up. I'm just sharing OUR experience with this machine, it has been trouble since we bought it. This thing has an easy life in chips compared to rock or gravel. In MY opinion I think it is very unreliable, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy one!
Got her back late yesterday. Everything seems to be working well. We'll see how long she lasts this time.
That was a pretty quick two weeks...lol, just kidding.
Yes it was! lol The parts came in sooner than expected and the mechanics were allowed to stay on overtime to get her ready sooner. It has developed another problem already! It just slows down on its own like you dropped it into a lower range. It has happened to 2 of the 4 operators so far. Mechanics will have to look at it monday.
It sounds like you need to try out a J. Deere's more involved on this version. But at the same time when you are just getting into this big of a market its going to take some POC before getting to the good ones. I don't think any thing man made doesn't have problems the first couple of series. Deere might be a little slow getting there but in the end they will have a good product. And hopefully you are not getting a parts exchanger instead of a mechanic. That will ruin a rep as fast as not getting your parts.
Well it lasted a few days! Turbo came loose from manifold. 3 days for bolts and gaskets. Boss was doing some totals, for 2009 repairs are over $300k, I'm sure that includes the rentals for the d8s also, but wow thats alot!
well the deere has actually been pretty good for th last bit. still pulls to the left and little and was down a week for a cooling fan failure. during the downtime the rental d8r caught on fire and burnt, only minor damage. this came in the other day and should be good to go today. that is a cat blade 37 cubic yards.
We had (3) JD 850J's on rent for over a year. I'd have to say that they are the most comfortable, quick dozers in their class. I think the larger units are repackaged Liebehrrs. When they're working, they are the preferred machine to run; but they tend to give more headache than a Kitty of the same class. We had hoses blow and computer problems. Sounds like, from the posts, that the larger units (1050's) are no different. These are the experiences that make me revert back to using old iron.
Well, how do you like the D-8T so far?
never got to try it yet. waiting o fire suppression system to be installed.
is this at an irving pulp mill
No. It's the AV Groupe, AVCell (Atholville). We also own AVNackawick.
the short section is just that a track guide
Just an update on the new D8t. The boys seem to like it, although it is smaller and slower than the deere 1050c. The cat is not bulletproof, we had a few minor problems: 1 air cond. failed almost right away. was fixed easily 2 there was a pin down by the tracks on the undercarriage that one of the operators found sticking halfway out of its hole. fixed 3 fluctuating engine rpms. they moved a ground/ground strap and seems to have fixed the problem
any update on how the new D8 is doing??:beatsme:update
The D8 is going great. 2600 hrs. Had a problem with the air cond when we first got it and last month the alarm would go off (bad sensor). It's been a great machine but works hard, we needed a D9 to do the job properly. We spread about 60 trucks (30 tons each)a day, plus spread 700+ tons from the chipper, and then reclaim about 60 trucks per day for the digesters to cook. The machine isreally too small for the job. Most mills have D9s. I think the accountants had the final say on which to get................
Out of curiosity, did the 1050 keep up with the work when it was running well?
no not really, was still bit too small. little faster than the d8.
just to clarify...was the 1050 bigger or smaller than the D8? Or do you mean that the 1050 is slightly bigger than the D8, but BOTH are too small for what you guys want to get done. Thanks for the update on the D8:drinkup
The 1050 is a bit larger than the d8. It is also a little bit faster than the d8 (esp. backing up, they locked 3rd gear out on the d8). Both the 1050 and d8 are too small for what we need. Hope this clears things up for you.
In what way are you saying the D8 is smaller than the 1050? The D8 is heavier and has a higher hp rating than the 1050.
1050c 324 hp/74000 lb d8t 310 hp/85000 lb so the 1050c does have more power, but is lighter. However when I say smaller I mean the D8t has a smaller blade than what came with the 1050c. not real sure on the cubic yards, but if you look at the pics I posted you will see the differance. It's ot a huge diff, but in a 12hr shift it adds up.
I always heard hystats wern't as efficent as powershifts when you get over 200hp??
There is no real differance in power between the 2 that I can tell by running them. Unless the Deere is running hot, then you can tell a big diff....
Dang that's a nice lookin dozer
very impressive!
we tried out a j-d on our chip pile it just was not big enough to do the job,we have a d8r that took over the major pushing from our old td25 that every one loved! most will say it pushes chips harder than that d8,we seem to have had several problems with the brakes getting torn up from backing down the pile with the d8, has any one seen this on there cats? other than that and the solenoids that control the shifting in the trans going down its been a good unit,we just got a new d9t to use as our primary pusher,now the d8 is used for backup,the new d9t,was only on the pile say 100 hr and the left track would keep getting loose after tightening it, we found that the factory forgot to weld in a stopper block for the adjuster,they sent down some cat people and drained down the oil and reach in and weld in the block for the fix,what do you want for $900,000.00 lol. we lock out 3rd gear so the operators don't tear up the machine because if it can push in 3rd and it will so will some operators.
Nice looking rig.
The 1050J has been a good machine for use in our landfill.
What does the 1050 use for power ?????????????
My opinion is Deere makes the best dozers you can buy, up to a 700. Then bigger than that cat has them beat in most every way. What I have to compare to is a 850j and a d6r, and a 1050c, compared to the same d6r. The cat has more power to the tracks, more weight witch is a big deal here because the 850 and 1050s spin there track on our rock because they are light. And I have seen a lot of design issues with things on the 850 + size deere machines. I can actually out work a 850j on a 700j if we are doing the same thing.
I've had the exact opposite experience. I've outworked a brand new D6 very easily with a brand new 850, side by side, in exactly the same conditions. I agree, I like Deere dozers over the competition up to the 850, above the 850, I'll take Cat.
I can see that if you are working in dirt since they move faster, but for me in rock the cat was ahead. The other thing is I believe the cat is going to cost you less to own and keep running. But that's me. I still say deere's are the best up to a 750 anyway.
This was rock. Drill and shoot operation, with both dozers pushing uphill around a switchback.
700's are awesome, but I don't see how a 700 will regularly out work an 850.
well my old 1050C is in trouble again. not her fault. "someone" put an inexperienced operator on it pushing chips from the portable chipper. he was running the dozer UNDER the discharge belt! literally chips falling on top of the machine!!! rad became plugged, hydraulic cooler too. HE COOKED MY BABY! It ran low on hydraulic... and I mean low. It holds 55gal and we added 40gal to bring it to full. engine was down 10 liters. they have changed the drive motors that were bad already. but now the "dual cone seperator" and "spliter box" are leaking badly. adding oil constantly. the tracks have to come off so the drives can be pulled to fix it. operator had no experience with equipment and was not trained properly. not that it matters, because he KNOWS everything....ran it for with all the warning lights flashing!!! ***? Some people are not operators and have no business running machines worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. pisses me off! there were so many chips in the engine compartment that it nearly caught fire running a few hundred feet to the garage. and thats after a cold start!!
our 1050c is a 13L 6 cylinder Liebherr engine.
Well, I certainly believe you, maybe we just had a dog of a 850j. It was brand new and we had it leased on one job for about 4 moths. So it may have not been right from the factory.
Now that is a shame!
looks nice! i know something about John Deer 6404T,it's turbocharger is TO4B15
This is a very nice looking machine! I really love the blade on it! It looks adorable!
43000$ Idon't think you could go wrong http://www.rockanddirt.com/equipment-for-sale/JOHN-DEERE/1050C/invnum=37975000 10/31/2015 sold