Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

deere 120 rotary manifold or swing motor

ns skinner · 2019-01-03 23:47

Looking for some help locating a hydraulic fluid coming out swing ring gear. I have resealed and installed a new bushing in rotary manifold, installed back in machine operated it for 8 hrs. and hyd. oil is still leaking out gear and used about 4 gallon of oil. The swing motor gear box is still at same level and no gear lube smell is not present, So I have taken the rotary manifold out and pressure tested it @ 4500 psi had have no visible leaks outside or any cross leaking. the machine was pressure washed on first repair and no oil is present around swing motor or manifold. The only other thing I could think of leaking is swing motor but I cant see how oil could get through to the ring gear cavity, as it would have over fill the planetary to leak out bull gear seal I'm kinda stumped any help would be great, Thanks Scott

Replies6
  1. #1GregsHD2019-01-04 10:25

    No mention of draining the oil/sludge from the swing gear cavity and re-filling with grease. Are you sure it's not residual oil? Your swing transmission would be overflowing out the dipstick tube with hyd oil if the motor shaft seal was leaking.

  2. #2ns skinner2019-01-04 10:54

    I didn’t drain the cavity but I did service the hyd system It was full and now it is down 3 or 4 gallons with no other leaks visible other than oil coming out the ring gear on to frame. I also pressure wash where swing motor and manifold mounts and it is dry nothing coming out dipstick. My next move is to reinstall the manifold leaving the boot off to look for it leaks.

  3. #3uffex2019-01-04 14:03

    Good day I would endorse Gregs comments suggest you forget the swing box its real strange that you cannot locate a leak elsewhere. Kind Regards Uffex

  4. #4JonathanMA2019-01-04 16:01

    The top passage on the rotary manifold should be relatively low return pressure -- case drain leakage from travel motors-- Check for excess pressure in that line --- plugged return filter at tank or excess case drain from a travel motor? The lower motor direction seals in the rotary manifold should withstand that pressure test but i don't believe that top passage can withstand that much pressure without leaking externally.

  5. #5ns skinner2019-01-04 16:34

    Yes the return or drain was check with 200 psi. All filters were changed at time of manifold rebuild.

  6. #6ns skinner2019-01-05 17:24

    Ok I have reinstalled manifold and left boot off to look for leaks. Also drained the cavity from lower plate which had about 3 gallons of oil I didn’t realize that is deeper under the machine so I’m hoping that this is where oil is from before rebuilt I also marked hydraulic level. I will run it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully with some answers. Thanks for all the input. Scott