I've recently purchased an 06 Deere 160c lc. A few issues I'm having, when traveling, I can only turn the engine speed up to about 3/4 throttle. Anything past that and it reduces the travel speed. I read somewhere that the throttle switch could be bad? My battery light stays on all the time, I've cleaned the battery ground cable and haven't noticed anything else, but that doesn't mean something isn't wrong. The machine starts fine and the batteries seem strong. My hydraulics seem a little slow. I'm inexperienced on excavators, other than renting a few, but I would think I would have a little more power while digging and traveling. I've have just purchased the owners manual and service manual. Is there a troubleshooting manual that I could purchase as well? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Good day Some machine suffer when the alternator has a defect suggest you focus on that charge light first. Kind regards Uffex
Uffex, thanks for the response. That would make sense, I'll check out my charging system and report back with what I come up with. How sensitive is the hydraulic system to low system voltage issues?
Uffex is correct, check out that charging system. Charging system integrity is real important to anything with electronic controllers. Low voltage or overcharging can cause controllers to either shut down or affect information from or to sensors, solenoids or feedback items. Another thing that plays heck with controllers is AC voltage leakage from your alternator. Anything more than 0.5 V AC coming out of the alternator battery output wire is too much. Check that with the engine at fast idle with a load (lights on). As far as manuals go JD also offers a manual (part # TM1932) for that machine called Operation and Tests manual which is used for diagnostics.
I checked the voltage at the battery and back of the alternator, its around 24.39 volts. I did find a loose wire on the back of the alternator, but tightening it had no effect. Most other 24 volt systems I have are charging at around 26 volts. I'm thinking I need to pull the alternator and take it to my local shop to be checked out.
Good idea. 24 V system should be charging at approximately 27.5-28.4 V.
Update on my 160clc, figured out the charging system. Small part on the back of the alternator was bad, and had been messed with and put back on so that it was grounding out. Replaced the part (can't remember the name of ot at the moment), charging system is good. I've replaced all four sensors on the pump along with the main press regulator. The machine is still slow, more noticeable on anything running on the #1 pump. I've drained the tank, changed filters, only saw one small piece of brass after draining. Most of my functions are slower than spec in the operating and test manual. My right side propel is slower than the left, causing a mistrack also just out of spec. I'm looking at adjusting the max flow on the bottom of the regulator, to increase flow. Has anyone done this? Am i heading in the right direction? My other concern is i try to read pressure and temp on my monitor, but I'm only getting dashes. My AI or AA doesn't work. Could this be an MIC issue? And would the MIC cause some of my other problems? Thanks
If you are seeing dashes and not the readings you are probably having wiring issues and the controller does not "see" them. Your AI needs to see no pressure at the dig/swing pressure switch and no pressure at the travel pressure switch for 4 seconds or more. I am not sure if not reading the pump pressure switch affects it or not but that could be causing it as well. As far as adjustments, check your engine pulldown adjustments first. If you now have a Op&Test manual it is listed as Hydraulic Pump Regulator Test and Adjustment - Engine Pulldown. That was a common adjustment to come out of spec due to "spring set" over time. Pay particular attention to the individual pump adjustments and adjust closer to the 2050 spec. When they are identical see how it performs.