Is there anyway to retrieve codes without PC and dongle? Have red exclamation mark and alarm is ringing. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
I'll check tomorrow on year but I think it's 2014 with powertech 4.5 fuel is clear of water. Still runs but not like it should be.
Welcome to HEF willowbender Moving forward, post a full machine serial number please. IIRC , you hold down the button on the monitor (I indicated in the screenshot) as you turn on the key on. This will get into the service mode of the monitor. Go into service mode at every engine start. When the active code(s) pops up you will be ready to read it.
Here’s a short video @John C. made. A Hitachi ZX-3 is much the same as a Deere D series excavator.
Id # for machine 1FF160DXTA0050788 I'm going back to see if I can get the code. Thanks Diesel Dave
So when you say go into service mode at every engine start till code appears I'm not completely following your meaning. So I go into service mode to troubleshooting and then start the engine?
You can either hold the button, key on, key go of the button, then start, or you can hold the button and go right to start. Either way, you will be in service mode.
Thanks So any idea about engine governor controller abnormal 3? I got that from service mode/troubleshooting KOEO
Post a picture of it please.
Thanks guys it took me a bit to figure out I had to select the diagnostics for the governor to get the codes. I'm not as ignorant as I was. 50 hrs ago on the machine it shut down and I called Deere and they told me I couldn't get the codes without diagnostic software and charged me $1550 just to run diagnostics. They outright lied to me. I read in several places there was a way. You guys are great I'm headed toward learning my machine without it costing a arm and leg for service work that I can do myself. Thanks to Diesel Dave and mg2361 Your the cats meow!
Your engine has Level 16 ECU. Search for Deere manual # CTM502 “PowerTech E 4.5 & 6.8L Engine Level 16 Electronic Fuel System w.Denso HPCR ” All I know 1569-31 is engine derate . @mg2361 may be able to help with the other 3 codes in the morning.
Thanks Dave
Technical Manual-Mateco PDF Seems to have all the answers. I would like to post a link if it's possible to help other folks but haven't read all of the TOS and don't want to break the rules
1347-7 Engine Fuel Pump Pressurizing Assembly 1 - Mechanical system not responding or out of adjustment Could it be that it has air in the system from filter change and just needs bled?
Im beginning to think it's the suction control valve that has been replaced 50 hrs back along with the pressure relief valve. Reckon why this part would fail so soon? The fuel is very clean.
157.04: Fuel Rail Pressure Signal Out of Range Low 1347.04: Fuel Rail Pressure Actual/Desired Mismatch 3509.04: Sensor Supply #1 Voltage Out of Range Low The 1347 code is the result of either the 157 or the 3509 code. The 157 code needs troubleshooting first, followed by 3509 code. Check your PM.
Thanks mg2361 I would have to call Deere out for diagnostics and at the moment not an option. Sure is sad all the proprietary software that's $1000s . I know equipment is different than cars but there could still be a standard like OBDll and PIDs After much research I will be looking at the wiring but most points to the VSC. Thanks Sir
Ok guys back to the excavator. Lots has went on and haven't had time to work on it. Thanks Diesel Dave I downloaded the service manual and started learning to decipher it. Everything points at the fuel pressure sensor or a faulty plug. I pulled the plug and put it back on quite a few times and it made a difference most of the time. The pressure sensor was replaced 50hrs back so I'm assuming it's the plug. Will order a pigtail in the morning. I've read that it's a common problem and thinking it was why we had a code before when Deere ran a diagnostic and told us to change the sensor. Thanks to you guys I'm closer than I was!
What all did Deere do for $1550.00? If it was just to read codes because you didn't know how to you should be getting some money back.
They ran a diagnostic and told me they thought it was the SCV and to change the fuel pressure regulator and that didn't fix it then they said well it must be the fuel rail sensor. Changed that and it ran fine for about 50 hrs and then the codes came back. It may have been a faulty plug on the sensor the whole time. Here they charge for a large service truck to come out and then per hr for the tech. We're 2hrs from the dealer. Very Pricey!
Tested my fuel rail pressure sensor and it checks out ohm wise according to specs. I noticed fuel on the plug and couldn't find where it was coming from. Replaced fuel rail terminal and she ran fine for about 45 min with no codes and it then went back into derate and throwed the same codes. So I pulled the terminal and it had fuel in it again so I cleaned it with terminal cleaner then she ran fine for 30 minutes then went back to derate I assume the fuel rail pressure sensor has gone bad and leaking into the terminal and is causing the derate and codes. Thoughts?
Fuel is a very good electrical conductor causing the short. Either the sensor itself is leaking or where the sensor threads into the rail. I don’t see a seal washer or an o-ring that seals the sensor to the fuel rail. It must rely on metal to metal contact as the seal. You will need to replace the rail pressure sensor again either way.
Thanks Diesel Dave We have solved a very expensive problem. You guys are the greatest. I'll be back with final results!
If a new rail pressure sensor was installed recently you could scream parts warranty and get the dealer to give another sensor.
It's been a year but only has 59 hrs on it and they would know that because they had service advisor hooked to it for diagnostics. From what I've read if they didn't install the part it has no warranty. I'll call today and ask them a Turf-Ag It took some time reading but now I can diagnose a lot on this machine with just an ohms meter wiring and sensors etc... Thanks Diesel Dave Your a Blessing
Just in case anyone comes back to this old thread. Diesel Dave and the team of experts here are the best. I'm a somewhat take anything apart and put it back together shade tree mechanic but without forums such as this I'm a fish out of water on technical things like this situation. Upon removing the fuel pressure sensor I noticed a mark around the compressed plug connector on the bottom of the FPS. Remembering back the wrench slipped and damaged the new part. This part is hard to put a wrench on due to location. Put the older original that came on the excavator with the yellow paint back on. Problem solved and up and running fine now for 1 month. Deere Tech was wrong on diagnostic a year ago but the part failure is on me. A Big Shout Out. Thanks To All P.S. this JD 160D has over 5000 hrs on it.