I was operating our 2008 Deere 160D LC excavator the other day when it seemed to backfire with a big cloud of black smoke with a flame near the exhaust. Stopped the machine immediately. When started again, it produces white smoke from the exhaust. Previously, it would produce some black smoke at startup under load but it would go away once the machine warmed up. I removed all the injectors thinking one may be stuck open but that does not appear so. Could someone point me in the right direction of where to look. I have had the machine 3 years and put about 800 hours on it. Previously it had about 9800 hours when I got it and was in pretty rough shape. When I got it a few years ago, it would pour black smoke. I ran injector cleaner through the system and cleared up all the smoke other than the bit at startup. Any ideas? Thanks!
Machine serial number? You most likely need injectors. If they are original, then you definitely will need injectors. Any codes logged in the monitor's troubleshooting section? Press and hold the top right button and key on. You will now be in the service menu. Scroll to troubleshooting, press the enter button. Scroll to the engine controller and press the enter button.
Did you actually test the injectors or just visual inspection? I agree, sounds like injectors. Might of killed turbo as well when they overfueled.
My PC 160 did this and it was a small capsule like screen in the banjo type fitting in the fuel line on the fuel pump. It smoked all colors and shot flames and made all kinds of weird noises. I took the small plastic screen out and cleaned it, all fixed. Hope this helps