Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 200C LC engine temp rises and ac doesn’t cool

redmack ยท 2013-06-13 13:31

Hello everyone, I've a got a Deere 200CLC and been having trouble with the ac not cooling. It has a mind of its on, works one day not the next. I have notice that when the engine temp rises above half way on the gauge that's when it starts not cooling as well. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies12
  1. #1d9gdon2013-06-13 13:46

    Sounds like your radiator and AC condenser is plugged up. The condenser will be right in front of the radiator. It has to have good airflow through it in order for the AC to work. Blow it out with compressed air. There may be a screen in front of them that is removable for access.

  2. #2redmack2013-06-13 15:57

    Nope, all clean. Haven't had this machine very long. Its an 2006. I've noticed that some people have went back and vented the access door to the radiator etc. Mines not, I wonder?

  3. #3Nige2013-06-13 16:20

    If the aircon condenser is right in front of the rad then the 2 things are linked. I'd say your problem is in the radiator rather than the a/c and the a/c is only responding to the engine coolant being overly hot. Normal things to check. Fan belt condition, tension, theromostat. Is the radiator cooling correctly..? If you can get hold of an infra-red temp gun take the temps of the top and bottom hoses when the engine temp is as high as it gets (over 1/2 on the gauge). You should see about 12 DegF difference between the top and bottom hoses if the radiator is not plugged internally.

  4. #4redmack2013-06-13 17:01

    The radiator seems to be cooling fine for the first couple of hours but then when the going gets tough the temp tries to rise to about 3/4 on the gauge to just below being hot and then if I get into some light work it'll drop. I'm digging stumps and cleaning up logging slash, so the work load varies.

  5. #5BillG2013-06-13 17:29

    Check the hoses leading in and out of the heater, they should be ambient temperature. If they are warm then coolant is going through the heater and as the engine warms up the A/C can't keep up.

  6. #6redmack2013-06-13 17:48

    BillG, that's a great tip. I'll cut the heat of at the peacock valve on the engine and see what happens.

  7. #7watglen2013-06-13 18:34

    It wouldn't surprise me it your evaporator(? the radiator part inside the cab)was froze solid with ice. Problem comes and goes with ambient conditions. Happens all the time on ag tractors. troubleshoot by shutting ac off for a while and let ice melt. If it works for a while when you turn it on again, then slowly goes away, its a good bet the core is plugged with ice and stops cooling the air. Also, if you turn it on and your windows fog up like crazy, you know you're getting water from somewhere, likely ice melting in the ventilation system. You're into verifying the cab air filters, fans, ducting, etc etc etc is in good shape. Ice can be caused by high humidity, too little or too much airflow, dirt plugged in evaporator, and about a hundred other things. Ken

  8. #8redmack2013-06-13 20:13

    Not this time Ken, but I've got a 750C dozer that does that quite often. Cab filters get dirty very quick, I wouldn't mind finding some washable replacements. I took a single gauge/line ac pressure hose to the low pressure side and it's jumping from 45 to 80 when the compressor kicks on and off about every 30 sec or so. About to start a new thread bout fuel problems, when it rains it pours!

  9. #9dirtdobber12013-06-14 06:26

    You probably know what I'm about to tell you, but to make sure the radiator is really all clean you have to be sure there is nothing out of sight trapped between the radiator, AC condensor, oil cooler, or whatever else is there. If you haven't already done it, I would seperate all these components enough to wash through the cooling fins of each one so that you can see clean water come out the other side. Hopefully the machine is made such that this can be done without disconnecting all the hoses.

  10. #10redmack2013-06-14 18:12

    I appreciate your advice, but it's clean. My biggest problem now is it will not start. Created a new thread with that problem. SERENITY NOW...SERENITY NOW!

  11. #11redmack2013-06-18 20:30

    The AC was overcharged and when the outside temp went up it was creating to much pressure. Also I need to vent the door for better air flow to keep everything running cool. This was usually done by Deere under warranty, but mine didn't get it. Then turning off the water flow to the heater helped a lot, when everything heated up, it made it harder for the ac to keep up. Hope this thread helps someone in the future and I appreciate everyone's input and advice!

  12. #12Nige2013-06-18 21:35

    Glad you got it fixed in the end. I hope your non-starting issue was solved too.