Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 200CLC fuel and starting problems

redmack · 2013-06-13 20:28

Hello, a big thanks to everyone involved on this forum! Got a 2006 Deere 200CLC that can be hard to start at times, but it runs great and most of the time it starts with no problems. Today after a hard start, I ran it for a couple of hours and turned it off. Went back about 45 min's later and it wouldn't start at all. There's no fuel at the primary filter and I cant get it to prime. No visible leaks, fresh filters and yes it does have fuel in the tank Any help is appreciated!

Replies19
  1. #1redmack2013-06-14 18:05

    UPDATE: Still can't get it to start. I seem to have all kinds of fuel at the final filter but little to none at the primary filter even after trying to prime it. I find that weird, but what do I know. When I'm trying to crank it, blows a lot of white smoke or unspent fuel out the exhaust. Doesn't seem to want to even try to start now.

  2. #2d9gdon2013-06-14 21:37

    Check the transfer pump.

  3. #3ANDREW C2013-06-14 22:05

    Kinda sounds like the lift pump but check for something in the tank first, then if you can check your cranking pressure at your final fuel filter. Should be around 4psi cranking and idling, under load no lower than about 3 psi. Take the line off the primary to the tank and blow it back to the tank. There is a over flow on the injection pump on the return line which is the one with a 9/16 nut that can stick open and cause problems also a fitting on the inlet of the pump the line takes an 11/16 wrench that has a screen in it.

  4. #4redmack2013-06-15 08:35

    I have the transfer pump shown below and it looks fairly new. I can tell it was replaced before I got the machine. Does it control fuel going to the primary filter also? When I open the bleeder valve on the final filter and manually pump the fuel transfer pump I have all kinds of fuel but not at the first or primary filter. I do appreciate everyone's help!

  5. #5ANDREW C2013-06-15 17:05

    The transfer pump supplies fuel to the injection pump. The primary fuel filter is on the vacuum side of the pump so it will suck in air not spit fuel out. Check your fuel supply line. Blow it back to the tank.

  6. #6JTbarren332013-06-15 20:33

    Sounds like air in the suction side of the system, replace the square orings, R74012 key part#7 on your parts breakdown. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a filter head service kit, your dealer will be able to get you that easily. Just orings for the filter head, also this machine has a VP44 injection pump which is a time bomb. You want to be EXTREMELY careful starving this machine for fuel, the injection pump will fail very quickly when starved for fuel. The transfer pump is usually the key problem with the fuel system, but problem is when it fails it will take out the injection pump 75% of the time. I would check your DDU in the side compartant and log you fault codes, please post here and I can diagnose them for you so you have an idea of whats going on here. There was also an update a few years back, where the transfer pump was removed from the filter head and the transfer pump was changed out to a standalone pump. I would also verify which one you have, if you have the filter head mounted one than it would be a good idea to get rid of it. After I wrote all that I noticed you said you have the mechanical transfer pump, this leads me to believe you have a 270LC not a 270CLC, can you please verify?

  7. #7ANDREW C2013-06-15 21:56

    Good point about the orings and filter base kits, they do suck in air, I have found the line from the fuel tank to the primary rubbed before also, just enough to suck air but not to leak fuel. The 200clcs used both vp44 pumps and de10 pumps the de10 was used on the 6068ht059 and the vp44 was used on the 6068ht053. The de10 in my experience was more popular. Both had fuel issues but the vp44 generally through codes first. The electric pump was used on 6068ht053 serial number 254350 and up and they also used the lift pump like your picture part number RE66153 serial number 154350-254350. The 6068ht059 used the electric pump to esn 254350 and the lift pump like you picture serial number 254351 and on (p/n RE66153). The vp44 pump is identified by a large black connector on the pump and the de10 by a two wire pump control solenoid on the end of the pump. If it does have a gauge to display codes, that would be helpful but not all of them had it. It was normally where the air filter is or in the battery compartment.

  8. #8redmack2013-06-16 14:38

    Thanks guys! I'm going to get back at it tomorrow. It is a 2006 model 200C LC ser#507403. It does not have any current codes but it does have two stored codes pictured below that were on it when I bought it. I think they have something to do with low idle which I haven't any trouble with. Also the transfer pump seems to be newly replaced. I'll keep you posted and thanks!

  9. #9ANDREW C2013-06-17 00:23

    So your engine serial number is PE6068H545204 which is a 6068ht059. So it should have a de10 pump on it not the vp44 and the mechanical lift looks correct. The code 28.04 is throttle voltage low below 2.7 volts. Wouldn't worry too much about it unless it becomes active. The code 91.04 is throttle voltage low below 0.1 volts and ecu defaults to 1200rpm or low rpm. Again don't worry too much about it as they are both on the control side not the output side of the ecu. Check all the basic things that have been discussed first.

  10. #10cutting edge2013-06-17 08:15

    check the condition of the wires going into the pump solenoid connector.

  11. #11redmack2013-06-17 20:34

    I finally got it to start today! Found a crimp on the rubber part of the priming bulb internally at primary filter that may have let it loose prime and a possible loose connection on the return line. Bleed the lines ran the machine for about 2 hours and as before when it's running it runs just fine. Turned it off waited a couple of minutes and it started right up. Turned it off again, waited a couple and it wouldn't start at all... I did notice (for the first time) some fuel that seemed to be leaking around one of the injectors after it started. I'm simply loosing prime probably at more than one area and may have an injector sticking open too. Will probably just start replacing o rings, look at replacing injector(s) and do the filter kits tomorrow. This is an low hour machine for a 2006 model, it had about 2700 hrs when I bought it about three months ago. I think it sit still for too long and things started drying out.

  12. #12dozer122162013-06-17 21:56

    If you haven't already, replace the fuel filter (s) for sure. A fuel leak with hard starting may be a air leak into the supply OR return side. Air molecue is smaller than fuel. Air will leak in on shutdown and no visible leak while running and under pressure. Go figure. Sometimes talc powder will show a very small fuel leak.

  13. #13redmack2013-06-18 20:20

    Well, it did end up being the Injection pump. A new one fixed it up. Anyone else every bought someone else's problems. I sure did, I've got hydraulic problems that are bigger than I thought too. When I get over drowning my sorrows, I'll start a new thread about it. But let me say, you guy's are awesome! I appreciate everyone's time and help!

  14. #14d9gdon2013-06-18 21:39

    Those equipment hour meters are always suspect.

  15. #15redmack2013-06-19 08:17

    I believe the hours are correct, the engine hour meter and the cab meter all add up. But, I'm beginning to think the reason it has low hours is because it sit still until a sucker came along and bought it..<<<<

  16. #16Ldub_822023-08-16 14:26

    got any suggestions if those codes are active? I can’t determine if the engine speed is commanded over the j1939 or if it’s hardwired between the ecm and the pvc. The serial number is prior to 504001

  17. #17Diesel Dave2023-08-16 15:02

    I‘m having trouble finding the machine serial # split when Deere went from engine model PE6068HT053 to PE6068HT059. Whats your machine or engine serial number ? I could likely provide the engine electrical schematic.

  18. #18Ldub_822023-08-16 15:19

    Thankyou. esn 6068HT053

  19. #19Diesel Dave2023-08-16 17:04

    Ldub check your messages