Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 245G LC is very very slow. No codes, No smoke, At high throttle no functions increase in speed

sepulchral · 2025-04-13 21:25

Title says it all. machine operates like it is at idle even when engine is clearly at 1700 rpm (from the monitoring section). no active codes It is a 2015 i believe

Replies37
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-04-14 08:58

    Machine serial # ? Have you checked pilot pressure ?

  2. #2sepulchral2025-04-14 09:41

    1FF245GXTCE600063 just looked at fluid on the pilot filter it was real cloudy and milky but no metal debris

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-04-14 15:20

    Cloudy and milky hydraulic oil sounds like excess water. At high idle , Pilot pressure spec is 580+145-73 psi.

  4. #4sepulchral2025-04-14 17:14

    Pilot pressure was 550psi at idle. Forgot to post that functions are semi strong but tracking the machine is slow as ****. Here is pic of hydraulic oil. Didn’t see any metal. I guess I should drain the oil.. should I crack lines off cylinders and puppet-master the boom and stick with another big machine (via chain) to eject old fluid out?

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-04-15 07:23

    Not sure I would try your puppet master idea. I would take the fittings apart at the return line before or after the filter and direct that into a big bucket. Then fill the hydraulic reservoir and run those boom functions drawing fresh oil in and keep filling the reservoir. Essentially purging that crap and filling the cylinders with fresh oil. Not sure this is possible on this machine but I would attempt it.

  6. #6sepulchral2025-04-16 08:17

    i drained all the oil. it was milky all the way through but not a spec of metal debris thank god. i am picking up new filters at 10am this morning. hopefully the machine will be okay

  7. #7Diesel Dave2025-04-16 09:29

    @John C. posted a utube video on how to access the service menu in the Deere G/ Hitachi -6 series monitor. Under monitoring, note the Pump1 and Pump2 control pressures when “tracking is slow as ****“ and compare the same pump control pressures when using the dig functions. .

  8. #8Simon C2025-04-16 10:36

    Watched the video. Great amount of info available at your finger tips. Saves a lot of time. Thanks for reposting John C's video. Simon C

  9. #9sepulchral2025-04-16 16:28

    This is tracking View attachment IMG_0257.jpeg

  10. #10sepulchral2025-04-16 16:29

    This is lifting with the boom function I noticed arm function goes to 32mpa on pump 1

  11. #11Diesel Dave2025-04-16 17:01

    Can you post the Pump1 and Pump2 control pressures when “tracking is slow as ****“ and compare the same pump control pressures when using the dig functions.

  12. #12sepulchral2025-04-17 07:08

    View attachment IMG_0257.jpeg

  13. #13sepulchral2025-04-17 08:20

    This is when trackinf View attachment IMG_0282.jpeg

  14. #14sepulchral2025-04-17 08:22

    the PUmp 1 and 2 control pressures are both at ~4.05MPa when tracking or the same when using boom and arm functions together. no real difference infact control pressures are higher when tracking

  15. #15Diesel Dave2025-04-18 09:56

    The pump1 and pump2 control pressures of 4.0 mpa are right on spec , indicating both pumps are being commanded to go to maximum flow. You say the “tracks are slow as **** “ Cycle time the low speed and high speed travel over 65 feet. Cycle time the boom up as well. Procedure and specs in 2 screenshots below. .

  16. #16sepulchral2025-04-18 11:09

    dave thank you.. i know that they will be way way higher than the 13.8 seconds. what would be the next step?

  17. #17Diesel Dave2025-04-18 11:34

    Check both slow and high speed travel cycle times. If they are the close to the same that would indicate that the track motors are not being shifted to high speed.

  18. #18sepulchral2025-04-18 12:13

    Rabbit mode is 43 seconds forwards and 44 seconds reverse Turtle Mode is 59 seconds forewrd and 1 minute in tevetse

  19. #19mg23612025-04-18 12:14

    It would be easier to use this method and spec.

  20. #20sepulchral2025-04-18 12:19

    I just measured speed see above

  21. #21Diesel Dave2025-04-18 12:43

    What’s the boom up cycle time ?

  22. #22sepulchral2025-04-18 12:59

    Boom up 8 seconds Down is 4

  23. #23Diesel Dave2025-04-18 13:07

    Holy wow , Boom up is 2x and travel is 3X slower than spec. There are pilot pressure sensors for boom up and for travel. Note the mpa when using travel and again using boom up.

  24. #24sepulchral2025-04-18 13:50

    Travel pilot pressure is 3.94MPA ALL PIILOT PRESSURE ARE 3.8-3.9

  25. #25Diesel Dave2025-04-18 14:18

    - Both primary and secondary pilot pressures are good. - Pump control pressures are good , both pumps being “commanded “ to full flow. - Track and boom cycle times suggest pump flows are very low. - 1700 engine rpm is good. - No codes. I think a flow test of the pumps using a flow meter is next step. Have you owned or operated this machine long ? Any story with the poor performance ?

  26. #26sepulchral2025-04-18 14:48

    Would poor flow indicate bad pumps? I’m about ready to take counterweight off and pull pumps

  27. #27Diesel Dave2025-04-18 22:22

    If a flow meter test of the pumps is not an option, I would remove the pumps and partially disassemble them to inspect. Remove the rear housings and pay close attention to the cylinder block to valve plate and valve plate to rear housing sealing surfaces. See screenshot below of a pump cross section. . .

  28. #28sepulchral2025-04-19 01:01

    thanks.. i have the repair manual. i have rebuilt a few deere pumps in the past. i guess i was hoping that there was no pump issue given the filters had zero metal debris. i dont know the history - it came from an auction. see this blurb. thoughts?

  29. #29Diesel Dave2025-04-19 09:12

    I was thinking you would see effect of the torque control solenoid operation by low control pressures , but reading further into it I guess not. You could try checking the torque control solenoid pressure….nothing to loose. You could unplug the torque control solenoid as well , see what happens.

  30. #30sepulchral2025-04-19 09:57

    What would unplugging it do? I was thjnnn t about why the machine had water in oil. I bet Somone did a flush out of the tank then threw it back together after a pump started ejecting piston shoe and valve plate material

  31. #31Diesel Dave2025-04-19 17:03

    Never mind , My bad, I was talking out my a**. The torque control works opposite to my thinking. . Torque Control Solenoid (marked ST) (Y21)—The torque control solenoid (marked ST) (Y21) helps control pump displacement in response to changes in engine load. As engine load increases, the torque control solenoid is deactivated, reducing the pump displacement and therefore reducing engine load and preventing engine stall. As engine load decreases, the torque control solenoid is activated, increasing pump displacement and therefore increasing the efficiency of the machine.

  32. #32sepulchral2025-04-19 18:54

    Thanks

  33. #33Diesel Dave2025-04-20 10:03

    The signal to the torque control solenoid is also on the monitor list. .

  34. #34mg23612025-04-21 04:43
  35. #35Steve Austin2025-04-22 08:30

    Unless I missed it in your post I haven’t seen where you removed the suction screen and cleaned it. Have you done this the contents on the screen can tell you a lot about your hydraulic system.

  36. #36sepulchral2025-04-22 22:19

    i removed the screen and found nothing but pieces of leaves.

  37. #37Steve Austin2025-04-23 13:00

    Looking at the specs you provided to Diesel Dave I would suspect you have a pump that has damaged from the moisture in the hydraulic oil. It doesn’t take long for a lot of damage to occur to these radial piston pumps from water. If I were working on this excavator I would leave the old pumps on and use them to completely flush the system. This way you will not be risking damage to the new or rebuilt pumps from water contamination.