I'm having some trouble with a VGT actuator on my 250G. I recently purchased this machine used, 6400 hours, seems to be pretty well maintained. Just for curiosity I checked the codes about a week ago and had a couple of codes, and 641-07 VGT Actuator Mismatch was one of them. All was running just fine at this time. Today it went through a regen and really derated the power a lot when this happened, more than I expected. I kept running it and the regen ended but the machine was still derated. As I was about ready to park it, the engine stalled when I was just walking forward. After restarting it ran fine, no derating, and the only code is the 641-07. I did have to cycle the key off and back on to get it to restart. Any ideas on what to check or how to check out the VGT Actuator? All help is appreciated.
Need a serial number, especially the letter before the last six digits.
E608601
Found the linkage between the actuator and turbo is quote worn and sloppy. The code was intermittent when I ran the machine today. I'm hopeful that replacing the linkage will help solve this. Anyone have experience here?
I had the same code coming up and derate condition. We found the linkage to be pretty sloppy too, after inquiring with JD we decided to build our own linkage out of some 1/4" stainless ready rod and rod ends. So far so good.
You can try the linkage if your talking about the external link between the actuator and the turbo (linkage kit is $430....OUCH!). If you move the linkage by hand (engine cold) does it move through the entire range smoothly? Those turbos are known to wear out the sliding element bracket inside the turbo as well. Deere had a product improvement fix as fail program on them. You may have to have a Deere tech come out and perform a VGT Range Recovery test and/or a VGT Learn Value Reset Test.
It does move smoothly through the range. Thanks for the info.
Follow up- I replaced the linkage with one I made with parts from the local hardware store. That works fine. Soon after the turbo's vanes got sticky causing the code again. The actuator arm on the turbo originally travelled about 89 degrees but got to where the travel was only about 15 degrees. The engine was staying in the derate at this point. Today I removed the exhaust piping to access the exhaust side of the turbo. I sprayed penetrating oil in the exhaust side and worked the actuator by hand. After about 10 minutes of this I had smooth and full movement. Fired machine up and all codes and derate are gone. I didn't get to work the machine but will report back after I do. Hopefully this fix will keep it running for some time to come.
We always check them cold, then hot. Then we remove the link to determine if it is the actuator sticking or the turbo vanes are sticking. If the actuator is sticking we replace that component only. If the vanes are sticking then we replace the turbo/actuator assembly. Unfortunately I believe your fix will only be temporary. But I'll keep my fingers crossed in the hope that it works and lasts for you .
^^^agree with MG.
As you more experienced guys already knew, the fix didn't last. I removed the turbo and installed the ring that controls the vanes (available from Deere, about $550) in the turbo. There was a lot of rust and crud in the area of the turbo where this ring lives, and the ring had some wear on it with 6100 hours on the machine. This area was cleaned out of course. This area isn't accessible without disassembling the exhaust side of the turbo, so I now understand that my previous application of penetrating oil into the exhaust didn't do anything. This whole deal was pretty time consuming. Not so much the turbo assembly/disassembly but the removal and reinstallation on the machine. I will say that I'm not sure the ring replacement was necessary. It may have been enough just to disassemble and clean the exhaust side of the turbo. I've only run the machine about 1 hour but so far things look good.
Not on John Deere, but doggone POJ injectors and cups eating Volvo V13s we tried and clean the vanes and internal parts. Sometimes even Dremel got involved! Some of them continue running, some had to replace turbos. My theory actuators and linkages getting killed by all that carbon build up on vanes! Having EGRs not helping matters none, just makes it worse!!!
As a quick follow up, the machine has run about 25 hours and it appears everything is going to work out.