Where is everyone buying their seal kits for their hydraulic cylinders? I need to order 2 kits and reseal my outrigger cylinders. My left stabilizer wont stay up when machine is off, and bleeds down while operating causing hoe to list to one side. I've wanted to try resealing a cylinder myself and this seams like an easy enough one to get to. I just need a reputable source for seals to order from that is not Deere. Last time I needed something from them, they wanted double what everyone else was selling it for. S/N: 3848411
Unless you have absolute faith in the part numbers, I'd take it apart, then get the seals ordered, or bring in the piston and gland and let them match them up. Deere had some different styles of cylinders on the same models with serial number breaks, and some you had to see the style of seal to match. Bulldog and Hercules are the two seal places, maybe same ownership.
I've used Baum for seals on the track loader. For the 310 I've been using HW Parts Store. I've bought 2 swing kits, 1 stabilizer and 1 loader tilt, and 1 stick kit (yet to be installed) but have had great luck with fitment on all of them. They seem to be quality seals too. I'm not sure why I gravitated to them other than their website is easy to use. https://hwpartstore.com/collections/john-deere-310a-backhoe-parts
When I google searched for seals, HW was the first choice, and lists all seal kits for various serial number breaks for my 310a. I haven't placed my order yet, but plan on doing it this afternoon. @boone , what tools do I need to have to tackle an outrigger re seal? I'd like to order them tonight as well if I need anything special.
Good question. Gland nut/ring - I use a punch and big hammer . I don't have a spanner . I probably should, but have gotten by with the punch and air chisel in the past. Harbor Freight has cheap air chisels, but I would blunt the edges off. They will cut into the metal pretty bad. Snap ring - I have the 6 piece pic set from harbor freight. Various screw driver sizes. Pulling rod - sometimes the rod comes out pretty hard. I'm not sure about the A model, but the E has an internal filler ring which will come in your kit. The dealer seal kit includes instructions on how to use it, the HW kit will not. I've had to use a come-along or coffin hoist on all of them to get them out, but I typically haven't used the filler ring. Piston bolt - I have the 20 piece 3/4" Pittsburgh Jumbo socket set also from HF. I use the metric sizes. The sockets are soft, but they've tackled my cylinders fine. I did split one socket trying to take a track bolt off the loader. But it was a smaller socket with a lot of torque. I've used a 1" snap-on ratchet with a reducer on most of the other cylinders, but my stabilizer I used the a yard sale breaker bar . The flex bar in the jumbo kit should work fine. You'll need a cheater pipe . I actually used my 3 ton jack handle. It fit nicely over the breaker bar with no wiggle. For the seals - you'll need some small screw drivers, plyers , the 6 piece pic set from harbor freight helps to dig the old ones out. I don't have the seal installer tools, but I'm sure they would be handy. Just takes a strong thumb and little screw driver get the lips on the seals in the right orientation. Brake cleaner, steel brush to clean piston , 1000 grit sand paper to smooth over any nicks in the rod. I put a little loctite when going back together. Grease up the piston and bore opening real good and move the rod end in small circles when installing. I used a orange deadblow hammer from HF to get the gland back into position. I did have to use some mechanical power to get the piston bolt loose on my cylinder last week. Good luck. I'd be interested to see how you're cylinder looks.
X-2 on the HWParts store....
@boone Thank you for the write up. It is very much appreciated as I know that took some time to put together.
No problem at all. I just happen to do all of this a few days ago. I've had my stabilizer kit since 2020 and just hadn't gotten around to doing it. Then when I did, I realize I had ordered the wrong bore kit so I had to get that kit at the dealer. It was $60 from HW and $78 from Deere. I didn't want to wait for shipping. Still need to do my stick cylinder. I'm going to recruit my dad and/or brother to help on that one.