Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310J

micknick ยท 2023-04-14 09:12

I've got a 2008 Deere 310J that will not shift gears until the oil gets to operating temperature. Whatever gear you shut the machine off in, is the gear you're stuck in until the oil heats up. I just acquired the backhoe, and I can't imagine it was really maintained in any capacity. I'm looking for some information on where to begin diagnosing. Could I have a clogged valve body? Could I have a solenoid with a blocked screen? Any information is appreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1mg23612023-04-14 12:04

    Serial number of the machine for starters.

  2. #2micknick2023-04-14 12:12

    1T0310JXEA0183352 I misunderstood the issue with the machine, from my helper as well. When the machine is cold, and you're in second gear and shift to any other gear, the machine won't move. When you shift back to second gear - the machine will pull itself but throws an "out of range" code. I'm leaning towards a stuck 2nd gear solenoid, that is essentially locking the transmission in two gears. But as I stated earlier, once up to operating temperature the issue resolves itself. I'm waiting to see if he can retrieve the code again and provide further information.

  3. #3mg23612023-04-14 12:22

    Yes, please supply any codes, active in particular. Do you know to access the service menu? There is a transmission solenoid diagnostic function in the monitor.

  4. #4micknick2023-04-14 12:34

    No, I do not know how to access the service menu. If you're able to provide that information, that would be incredible. As soon as I have the diagnostic code information I'll absolutely pass it along.

  5. #5micknick2023-04-14 13:20

    Display shows the following... 1/1 FLC Y5 solenoid The solenoid appears to be open circuit. The solenoid is not being detected by the feedback line. Out of range low

  6. #6mg23612023-04-15 06:04

    There should be a number associated with in the SPN/FMI format, for example, 000738.05. It might show the code without the zero's, but would mean the same. Y5 solenoid is located on the bottom group of solenoids, all the way to the right. Did the wiring get caught on debris and pulled out? Key on, press and hold the MENU button until the words "SERVICE MENU" (about 5 seconds). Release the button. First you need to clear the codes. Press the NEXT button until MAIN MENU CODES is displayed. Then press select. Scroll until CODES CLEAR is in the display. Then press select. It should clear the codes. Next, cycle the key. Enter SERVICE MENU again as above. Push the NEXT button until DIAGNOSTIC is highlighted, press select. Then scroll to DIAGNOSTIC TRANS, press select. Scroll to AUTO TEST SOLENOIDS, press select. Now the FLC (Flex Load Controller) will test the solenoids one at a time. If the circuits pass, then the word on the screen will read PASSED KEY OFF. If it fails, it will read CHECK CODES. Most likely it will fail based on your information. I would suspect either a bad solenoid or it's associated wiring.

  7. #7micknick2023-04-22 12:37

    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - unexpected work trip. I was able to clear the codes and run the diagnostic test. I got the CHECK CODES message after the test was run. FLC shown is 738.05. It looks like the only solenoid with that AT310586 part number, is the reverse solenoid. I'm reluctant to swap them because I know they're prone to getting stuck. I may just order the solenoid and replace it for the $100 and change rather than potentially damaging two solenoids.

  8. #8mg23612023-04-23 07:13

    Measure the solenoid resistance. If it is 10.5 ohms, I would check out the wiring first.

  9. #9Gravypig2024-09-10 21:19

    Any luck or updates?

  10. #10BFowler2025-06-26 10:49

    I realize this thread is old. However, I am having the exact same issue on my 2008 310J. Same code, same Y5 display. I would like to know if this issue here has been resolved. If so please state the repair. I get a ? mark on the display next to the F or R. @nd gear works in F or R for a while then I get. I understand the Y5 solenoid is the far right, behind the protective plate, correct? Thanks

  11. #11mg23612025-06-26 11:55

    Correct.