Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 310SG misfire, 4045t engine with pencil injectors

John Deere Boy · 2024-10-15 16:22

Engine has a miss about 5% of the time at idle, increasing to 90% of the time above 1800rpm, no load. Onset was very fast, it went from "what was that hiccup?" to regular misfire in less than an hour. IR gun on the manifold did not reveal a cold cylinder. I just put new aftermarket injectors in it today, no difference. New fuel filter, no water found in the old one. I read someone on justanswer had a tech diagnose his machine and replaced the ECM which fixed it. ($2000) Should i start looking into the electrical side, fuel supply, or injection pump first? Don't have much in the way of deere diagnostic tools, we usually throw parts at things until fixed. No electric lift pump. No service codes. 2000hrs, very nice machine, no rodent damage. Dash says battery voltage is 16.3 while running, but my voltmeter says 13.8v

Replies16
  1. #1thepumpguysc2024-10-15 17:23

    U have a DE injection pump.. (For future reference) Have u narrowed it down to a certain cyl.? If u break the lines loose AT THE INJECTORS, are u getting a lot of air.? If yes, it’s the inj. pump.. it has a spring inside that breaks.. But I wouldn’t jump the gun just yet.. MOST of the aftermarket injectors are JUNK.. I would try to narrow it down to A CYLINDER and stick an old injector in the hole and see what it does.. Good luck

  2. #2John Deere Boy2024-10-15 18:17

    Thanks for the quick reply pumpguy! We cracked the lines at the injectors, didn't notice any air. Tightened them back up and the misfire has gone away. At this point I'm calling it residual air in a line and going home for the night. Hopefully it remains fixed tomorrow. If not, I'll follow your advice about finding the cylinder and swapping the injector.

  3. #3mg23612024-10-16 05:19

    A poor fuel supply can cause that. But, if your fuel supply is sound, then it is most likely an ECU or an injection pump. Unfortunately, you need diagnostic software distinguish which one.

  4. #4Vetech632024-10-16 07:41

    This forum is much better!

  5. #5John Deere Boy2024-10-18 00:42

    Oh yeah. I'm back to harvesting now, it'll be awhile before I can run the backhoe enough to call the problem solved.

  6. #6Vetech632024-10-18 08:05

    Bring beer next time! LOL

  7. #7John Deere Boy2024-10-19 20:46

    Dunno how to bring a beer, but here's a video!

  8. #8John Deere Boy2025-02-15 10:28

    You were right, the aftermarket injectors were junk. Buying those was a bad decision.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2025-02-15 10:40

    I had one of these in the shop working but lightly smoking. It was evident the injectors had been messed with in the past. Some of the returns were damaged so I ended up replacing them all too. It ran much cleaner afterward. I wonder if somebody put cheap injectors on it now. They are available everywhere and cheap. But I chose factory and now glad I did.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2025-02-15 19:04

    The only time I’ll get aftermarket injectors is “IF” the machine is going on the auction block..

  11. #11Simon C2025-02-15 19:19

    I like the saying " Buy Once Cry Once". Once you have good stuff that does not need to be replaced for a long time, what a relief compared to paying again and throwing the junk out. Lots of cheap junk out there. Simon C

  12. #12John Deere Boy2025-03-11 17:34

    The problem has returned, and now I have two codes. -F490 Pump solenoid severely shorted -F493 Pump control Valve Closure Not detected. Recap: intermittent rough running/missing at any load and any RPM. Has died 4 times. Restarts fine after a minute or so. Problem started last august. -New OEM injectors. 2 old injectors failed testing at dealer -New lift pump, new filter, bottom of tank is clean and shiny, no water in filter -Fuel Pump rebuilt by Area Diesel in Illinois. They said "The transfer pump liner and blades are worn out and need replaced. Drive shaft, solenoid, armature, need replaced as well.", but after rebuild, tech noted that he found nothing that would cause my problems. -I've inspected the wiring harness and can't find any visible damage.

  13. #13mg23612025-03-12 04:57

    Either your wires to the injection pump have a short, or your ECU is defective.

  14. #14John Deere Boy2025-04-21 15:08

    It was the ecu. Tried to buy one at the dealer but they said it has to be programmed by a technician. Nearest construction dealer is 90 minutes away so I hauled it to them and had them diagnose it before installation.

  15. #15JL Sargent2025-04-21 19:14

    Good looking machine. You had to fix it!

  16. #16mg23612025-04-22 04:44

    When a customer comes in for an ECU at our dealership, we require they bring the old one, a machine serial number, and we program it on the bench so he can carry it out. I am surprised your dealer couldn't do that. Anyway, glad to hear it is up and running.