Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 325 sitting up… buying advice

prudog ยท 2010-03-31 13:17

I am looking at a 2005 JD 325 skid steer with 90 hours. I believe the hours to be correct from the (lack of) wear on the machine. The paint is faded on the front side that has been facing the sun. It has been sitting at a dealer lot for 14 months. Does a machine sitting up normally lead to problems, in your opinion?? They are asking $19k for the machine. I will be using the machine with a grapple to stack hay in a barn and I feel that a 325 Deere may be overkill and use excessive fuel with higher maintenance costs due to larger size?? But a like-new machine is tempting... I just started considering NH machines too and found a carefully used L170 for $12,500 with 1300 hours. I have a case 1845C with 2000 hours (paid $7500) and just afraid that it might lay down on me due to my lack of knowledge and mechanic skills. However, it may be as bullet proof as people say if I just give it time to prove itself. Too many choices with too many machines. It seems to be a buyers market. Any opinions?

Replies5
  1. #1xcmark2010-03-31 21:10

    I dont think sitting is a big issue on a newer machine, older machines that seals are drying out may start to leak but A 2005 isnt going to have that problem. Fuel, I dont see that as a big issue , if your dont work it hard and dont run it past 2/3 engine speed your fuel consumption will be very low. Pushing dirt piles around takes a good amount of power compared to lifting hay bails and driving. I would bet they will take less then 19K for a machine thats had a birthday on there lot! I found a truck back in 1993 that was a dealer demo (turbo deisel) with 17 000 miles , I chased them for 4 months and it had been sitting there for 14 months. Sticker on the truck was 31K , I offer them 17K 4 time and the fouth time I paid 17,500 (they claimed they lost $500) . dealer are hurting and need to move old stock off there lots, go in low and dig your heals in . good luck

  2. #2k452010-04-01 08:52

    Sounds like a good deal to me! I bought a 325 last summer and love it! I have 75 hours on it and feel like it's just getting broken in. The Deere ss need very little routine maintenance. I keep checking the manual, first oil change is 250 hours! And hydraulic oil is at 1000 hours! I also bought a "left over" (new) 2007 Kubota mini ex last year and it's been trouble free. I wouldn't hesitate because of the age as long as it doesn't look abused. Of course be careful that they dealer hasn't primped it up to make it look better than it is. But with the construction economy as it is, a lot of great equipment has been available from outfits that have gone out of business. Ken

  3. #3prudog2010-04-01 11:59

    It seems there are loyal people to every brand. I am trying to talk myself out of this JD machine... if it is still there when I sell a tractor, I might be in trouble. I don't think I will like foot controls, but willing to give them a chance. I am hoping in 4-5 years some used units with pilot controls will be readily available. I have a Dresser TD-7H dozer with six way blade for pushing dirt and I also have a JD 6420 (90HP) tractor with powerquad transmission for loading... that is why I think this machine may be overkill. I suppose I don't NEED this machine... I just WANT it. I really think I like the idea of approximatley 40% higher hydraulic pressure and flow (compared to 1845C) for those 20 hours I plan to use a trencher. Hmmm... a power rake would be handy at times too. Maybe a stump grinder. I guess I am answering my own question... Save the $5k, buy a smaller machine, and rent a bigger machine if needed??? Or buy my vison of a Cadillac since you only live once?? I guess the machine would be much more stable and therefore safe!?!? LOL

  4. #4k452010-04-01 13:58

    I bought the JD 325 because I had to have pilot controls, I have no control over my left ankle so foot controls don't work. The 325 is the smallest that JD makes with pilot controls. From what I've heard, JD and NH have the best stability, they are built with a 60/40 weight distribution whereas most others are reported to have a 70/30. I had a demo JCB ss for a couple of days and it was very tippy going uphill and our entire farm is hills. I about gave up on the idea of a ss but a dealer brought a JD out for me to try and I was sold, it was a lot more stable, especially with over the tire tracks. Also comparing the 325 to smaller machines, the smaller ones are more narrow and therefore have less stability side to side when lifting. Yes, the 325 is probably more than I needed here, but I'm happy with it. The only other way to get pilot controls on a smaller machine is with NH. Ken

  5. #5MXZ2010-04-02 10:45

    Not true anymore on the Joysticks: on the D's you can get them on all models from the 318 up.