Anyone know anything about Deere 320 engine problems in 2005? I have not been able to find any information, but recently found something that bothers me. I was looking at a machine with 900 hours and the guy said the engine was replaced @ 770 hours under warranty. It sounded fishy, buy my local Deere dealer ran the machine S/N and there was a note that said something to the effect "replace under warranty - several engine failures have occurred." As the story went, his machine did not qualify by serial number for a recall, but later had engine failure. This scares the crap out of me, as almost every single Deere 320 for sale seems to be a 2005 model. I was thinking I would only buy one IF the engine HAS BEEN replaced. For this reason, I had my sights set on a 325, but per my other thread, afraid it is too much machine. Do we have any Deere experts here??
I just ran across another 2005 320 that was advertised for sale as "factory installed engine with 100 hours due to factory recall" and the machine has 900 hours. Now I know of two possible 320 machines that I am willing to buy.
There was a recall/product update on the early 300's relating to a spring failure somewhere in the injection system if I remember right. If the spring failed, it would cause major damage sometimes requiring engine replacement. I think it was a mandatory update, so any in the affected range should be updated. A dealer should be able to run a serial number and tell you if it was updated and/or if it was in the affected group.
I wouldn't be too worried about this. Just do your research. A relative of mine has one either a 05 or 06 model and has never had a problem with over 700 hours or better on it. Just make sure all the m.o.d.s and p.i.p.s by Deere are done and get a chance to run it for a few hours or a good days work.
why risk it? I would buy a 2006 and then have piece of mind. If they had some problems on the 2005 machines then you know they fixed that before the 2006 models came out right? so what are you looking at money wise for a year newer machine? I have a 325 2009 model, the engine is not that much bigger then a 320, and you will always need MORE POWER!! The way things are right now in the states, you should be able to buy a much larger and newer machine a lot cheaper. I bought mine half price with 100 hours on it.
There is nothing to risk if you just dig a little deeper...Its not if its one its all is affected. Thats why if a problem that pops up and deere see's it they will fix it under pips and mods. If the machine serial # is ran through deere and the work has been done or checked by a mechanic it should be good to go.
ORrrrrr.... buy a machine that has already had the engine replaced. That is what I did. 2005 machine, 976 hours, engine replaced at 770 hours, $13,500 and comes with deere bucket and deere pallet forks, quick tach, and worn out tires. My fate has been sealed, unless I try to trade for the bigger machine. Actually, I think I am good for now... it will live in the hay barn from this point forward as I have other options for dirtwork between small dozer and 90hp tractor with loader. Thanks everyone for the inputs!