Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

deere 329D engine

hmearth · 2017-10-22 01:26

Hi Guy's it's been a while since I was last on here, My 329D engine is shuffing out large amounts of black smoke so I got my local dealer to run a enigine flush through it and it helped but doing so we found it is putting carbon back into the fuel tank. my question is what causes it and what is the best way to deal with it. and no trade it in is not an option as I like this little goer.

Replies9
  1. #1Delmer2017-10-22 11:02

    You might want to specify that this is a skidsteer engine, and/or identify which engine it is. I started to reply and then wondered what equipment it was in, then looked at which section it was in and thought, "who put a 6 cylinder in a skid steer?"

  2. #2hmearth2017-10-22 14:40

    Nothing gets past you

  3. #3Tractorguy2017-10-26 22:34

    How many hours are on this machine and has the engine ever been replaced? Those pump units in that motor aren’t the greatest in the world. Need to verify good fuel supply and air otherwise it’s more than likely pump units.

  4. #4hmearth2017-10-27 01:15

    Hi tractorguy It has 4500 hrs air filters are cleaned or replaced regularly and i have extra fuel filters on it, plus its filtered while refueling. I have ordered 5 new unit injectors and thinking about the turbo as it does us oil. Would i be on the right track with it

  5. #5Tractorguy2017-10-27 07:46

    Yes sir I’d say you’re on the right track. That engine has hydraulic lifters in it that need to be bled out before reinstallation. They make a tool but if you just pull the clip out you can use a magnet and a pick. There’s a sequence when tightening the pump units and injectors down. But otherwise a pretty straight forward job.

  6. #6hmearth2017-10-27 14:30

    Thanks you I'll bee be onto it soon as i can get it home

  7. #7Tones2017-10-27 16:52

    hmearth, is the carbon in the fuel tank a very fine powder looking stuff that hasn't dissolved? If it is it's part of the **** fuel company's call diesel these days. I found it in the fuel rail a few years ago and was told it was in the biofuel the company's mixed. Seems no amount of filtering will remove it.

  8. #8hmearth2017-10-28 07:12

    Hi tones No I'm thinking being a unit injection engine on the return side of the fuel line it's got a small hole somewhere in it putting carbon back into the system and i use the same fuel in other equipment and there there clean. It sounds strange but when I fuel up from empty it's exhaust fumes are or seems a little cleaner and i don't realy us bio fuel not a lot of places over here sell it.

  9. #9Tones2017-10-28 18:10

    It's my understanding that oil company's can add up to 4% biofuel without notification. Anymore than that it must be labelled. To be honest I wouldn't think it is possible to get exhaust residue into a fuel system without fuel leaking out. Have you checked the internals of all the rubber hoses from the last filter back to the tank. I have seen them perish on the inside and what you are seeing could be fine granules of rubber.