Hi, We have a 2020 Deere 331G serial number 1T0331GMCLF369477. Zero codes shown as active. Issue we’re having is the boom up and bucket curl get very slow/don’t work at all, and then suddenly come back and work for 1ft of movement. Then it’s back to not working/working again. If you rest for around 10 seconds, some control will come back, and then stop again. Calibration is very difficult as machine will not complete do to the issue. Controls are spongy, joystick readings on screen all seem ok as well. However you are unable to use the machine as the boom is slow or there is so little movement that it doesn’t work. Boom down works fine. Hydraulic system relief is in spec at ~3450psi measured from aux male port as shown in service advisor. I’m thinking this has something to do with the self leveling valve, possibly the coil, as when I unplugged it and plugged it in, it started working. I tracked this down on the hydraulic schematic, however just wanted to double check everything here and see if there were any common issues with these valves/coils. The aux flow from the hydraulic port is also very slow/nonexistent when the issue happens, but I couldn’t see on the schematic if they were directly connected. For a time frame, the issue happened yesterday just progressively getting worse, and today. Brought machine back to the shop from the field, unplugged self leveling coil, and it started working. Thanks for any help/insight you can give.
Does it have good track power? Did you check charge pressure? Is the fan turning? I would cut the hydraulic filter open and inspect. Any stored codes?
Track power is strong/normal. Charge pressure I was going to check but it looks like I need to run the machine with the cab up and don’t have the special box to allow that. Unless there is another way? This was the one step I skipped because it looked like some special tooling was required. Fan is turning as it should also. A few VCU codes, I will post them up. I can definitely put a new filter on as well, but after checking the main hydraulic pressure and having strong track power I thought the main system seemed ok.
Just a quick update as got a few minutes to check some things. Changed the filter and attached pictures. The large lumps in the oil are the bottom of the drain pan, so don’t pay attention to those, but there are a small amount of fine metal particles in the oil. Once I cut the filter open, there was no metallic material inside the pleats. Some dark material, but nothing I was too concerned with. The machine has 270 hours or so, so I’m assuming the small metal material could be the break in of the system? Codes I realized I had cleared in the field, however I do know they were all VCU related with the backup camera being intermittent, a separate issue altogether. The strange thing about this whole issue, when I went to start the machine and raise the loader arms for access to the hydraulic filter, everything stayed working normally, even with the self leveling on or off. The only solenoid I unplugged was self leveling, and did a quick disconnect/connect and a little tap with my hand. Nothing that would seem like it would make a difference. Is it possible to check charge pressure with the cab down, or is the special remote box needed 100%? This issue wouldn’t go away in the field, and now in the shop it’s decided to become much harder to pinpoint. Any ideas are welcome, or other suggestions I can try. We may move the machine to another closer field with a different spade and try it out if we can’t find the issue right now. Thank you again.
View attachment IMG_5994.jpeg
Do this with your filter and post pictures. Some of that "little" debris is enough to stick spools in the main control valve. Let's hope that is not the case and it is something simpler. Yep. Get yourself a long whip hose to put between the gauge and the diagnostic coupler. Try the calibration again. Be patient. When it tells you to move a function, it means move the function to full stroke, hold it there, and wait until you just start to see movement of the function (it could take up to a minute to see movement), then let go of the lever. Repeat for all the functions it tells you to do. Report back. Did you search in the monitor to see if any codes returned or are you just waiting to see if a code pops up in the monitor? With slow hydraulics, I would be performing a hydraulic flow test of the main hydraulic pump to rule out issues with it, but unfortunately, you would most likely have to pay someone to do that. Since it can maintain system pressure, I would think it would be OK.
Checked the monitor for codes, maybe I can see if service advisor can pull them? But I did clear them through the service menu when I wasn’t thinking. Here are some pictures from the filter, i tried to hold a light up to them as well. I will try another calibration and get a long hose to check charge pressure.
View attachment IMG_5999.jpeg
The debris here concerns me. Looks like it might be packing material from inside a cylinder.