The display on my 289D3 seems to go blank, but not completely. The display is on, it has power and the return arrow symbol remains illuminated in the bottom left hand corner. If running for an extended amount of time, the gauges come back up and are functioning properly. Then, out of the blue, the screen will go black, but there will be the return Icon in the bottom left hand part of the screen still illuminated. That part never goes out. Would this be a CANBUS connectivity issue somewhere between the HMI display and the ECM? I am assuming the ECM sends data via CANBUS to the HMI and the HMI populates it in the gauges. Not exactly sure what inside the HMI triggers the data to be displayed on the gauges or if the CANBUS link was intermittent, would it just show blank gauges? The machine still operates just fine. Anyone had this issue before?
Personally I’d say that it’s more likely to be something inside the display itself having an occasional conniption before it gets to the point where it dies completely. YMMV. After it starts working are there any Logged or Active Diagnostic Codes shown in the memory.?
No, no codes set. Just my luck. This thing is gonna kill me, a thousand bucks at a time.......lol.
That might also be an indication of good (or at least acceptable) communication over the network, because if there were comms problems I would have expected some sort of Codes related to them even if they were not Active. If you go to a dealer for a replacement display be sure to ask if a Reman option is available. I’m not sure if there is and currently I have no way of checking. You could post up the OEM part number they give you and maybe the availability of Reman can be looked up. However when it comes to electronics there seem to be more and more components available as Reman part numbers these days.
I'll do that. My son-in-law works for the local CAT dealer. Maybe between a employee discount and a reman unit, the final cost won't hurt my wallet as bad. But, I think I'll wait until the thing is basically dead before I do it. It always works when it is cold.
Maybe do your due diligence on the OEM/Reman part numbers first.? I for one would be more than a bit interested to know what may be available.
Was looking at the early D3 schematics and there is a standard display and LCD display. LCD one has 2 Can Bus Negatives and 2 positives. I am guessing that a code would display if one was having problems. Serial number was not stated. Simon C
What Part Number does it show on the schematic for the LCD display.?
STD- ELEK GP 378-1035 LCD- CMPT INSTR CLUSTER LCD 543-1326 ELEK GP 378-1036 This was on the earlier D3 Series schematic. Simon C
543-1326 is the one. It has been discontinued and replaced by a newer number but I can’t see what that is. If there is a Reman option it will be based on that newer number. EDIT: The newer number is 657-4558 and there is a Reman available which is 20R8760. Note that both of those numbers are BLANK modules and will require flashing with the appropriate software before they will function.
Ran it for 5 hours today. It worked perfect as did the backup camera the entire time. Go figure......
Probably giving it a stiff talking to worked - for now at least.
Updated information. See this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums