Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 350

knucklehead98 ยท 2008-07-04 09:55

The company that I work for has rented a 350 D LC for me to run . I ran it 3 days this week, and am set up for next week also. Machine has 570 hrs on it. Now it seems to me that it has alot of noise out of the swing gear on it. It also has all new bolts in the lower half of the swing assembly.Do these things have a disease there?or could it be something else? Also, it seems to me that the hydraulics are very "jerky" for a lack of better terms. Sometimes when I let go of the stick, it just wants to bounce back and forth. Boss was asking me what I thought of it , but I am kinda stuck on these two issues. I was just wondering if anyone else had a opinion on these machines. Thanks Heath

Replies55
  1. #1mikef872008-07-04 10:36

    I've never run a 350D LC, but I bought a brand new 270 D LC this spring. Love the machine, smooth, good on fuel, and pretty strong. I used it to do a sewer line and was surprised it pulled the big trench box we had. You guy's may have a lemon or something. Would it be possibly to go to the Deere dealer and try a new one?

  2. #2Reuben2008-07-04 11:16

    I have ran the hitachi 350,(basically all the same machine). I was not very impressed. there was a JD 270 right beside it and I almost felt the 270 had as much as the 350. here is a couple of pics of the job we were on.....

  3. #3knucklehead982008-07-05 16:42

    I actually requested another machine(smaller), and was told to bad. Seems that with all of the flooding in Iowa, that is where all of the local rental equipment is at.In other word to bad. All of the digging that I have done is in real loose material, So I really can't give the machine a fair shake as far as power. In all fairness, the only thing that has really has been tested is the A/C and the stereo. And they have both passed with flying colors. The fuel consumption has been pretty good also(1/4 tank in 30 paid hours).

  4. #4biggixxerjim2008-07-05 22:40

    1/4 tank in 30 hours?????

  5. #5Reuben2008-07-05 23:13

    that most have beeb some idle in there

  6. #6biggixxerjim2008-07-05 23:17

    prob. ALL idle hours

  7. #7ncbschzzt2008-07-06 01:56

    Does this machine have ZX Link? Also PM me the s/n, the 350 should be out digging the 270 overall. However some operators may feel like the the 270 is a better machine, but in actuality the 270 just cycles faster. That doesn't make it a more productive machine though, you need to see how fast you are loading the same truck with both machines. If your 270 feels stronger (breakout force) then there is another issue with the 350. I must admit though it is real hard to beat a 270, these are the flagship mid size excavator. There is no machine on the market that metric size that can out dig it, any one who tells me otherwise has not tested them properly.

  8. #8Vantage_TeS2008-07-06 19:59

    Who's the n00bsick digging over his travel motors?

  9. #9knucklehead982008-07-06 20:01

    Sorry I just got home from running the 350 so I did not get the numbers off of it. As I posted before, I have not had this thing in any hard digging yet, so I could not give it a fair evaluation on that issue. Also with this being a rental machine, who knows what kind of abuse it has been through. And yes 1/4 tank in 30 hours was mostly idle time. Lifes good on the railroad sometimes. They have a policy that you do not shut a machine off while it is fouling a track (within 4 foot of ballast line), So you end up with alot of idle time. Important thing is it was all PAID time!!!!!!:thumbsup Also I haven't had the opportunity to run a 270 yet so I Have no comment about them yet.

  10. #10Reuben2008-07-06 23:23

    huh......yeah sure as hell was diggin over the drives....dont know who was running it then but either way guess the name would not matter to you huh.

  11. #11Vantage_TeS2008-07-07 00:45

    Haha no not really =D Just giving you a hard time so if you were the one who was guilty you'd remember next time *wink* Back to the originaly topic we have a 350 hiding somewhere and the fuel guy says he only fills it every second day (we run them 12 hours a day). That tank is massive for what it burns. There is an option on the computer that shows your fuel consumption, you may be interested in checking that out.

  12. #12OCR2008-07-07 01:15

    Digging over drives: I noticed that myself... in fact right away... in second pic. they're hung over enough to possibly cause me some concern, at least from looking at the bank stability in the picture... could have been a lot better than the picture shows though...:beatsme OCR... ...

  13. #13Reuben2008-07-07 23:24

    The bank was actually pretty stable there. Solid rock after 15' then the same down to the bottom,(45')Found out "Bill" was running the 270 that day.(to answer your question) haha .

  14. #14OCR2008-07-08 05:38

    Thank you... that can happen when trying to interpret pictures...:bash I was out of line for even trying to make a judgment call... won't happen again... my apologies... OCR

  15. #15Reuben2008-07-08 20:42

    Man oh Man no no. you were not out of line at all no need what so ever to apologize. I would like to think every one would be conscerned but I know most ppl just dont care.

  16. #16knucklehead982008-07-08 22:26

    I turned the fuel consumption gauge on, When I was actually working ,it was around 48L an hour. Whatever that is!!!!!

  17. #17ncbschzzt2008-07-08 23:09

    LOL, I have no idea what the theory was behind that little option. It only reads what fuel is being delivered and not what is actually getting burned. The computer has no idea how much fuel is going back to tank from the return side of the fuel system. I guess it is more of a "wow thats neat" option, I just really don't know.

  18. #18Vantage_TeS2008-07-09 00:13

    Are you sure? I don't know much about it, but I do know that the number changes depending on how much you load up the machine. My friend was climbing a steep slope where he had to run both tracks and pull with the stick and he had that gauge up to like 62L/h If it was just how much was going through the transfer pump wouldn't the number remain constant?

  19. #19ncbschzzt2008-07-09 00:27

    I wasn't saying I don't know how it works I was just saying I don't know why it was installed. It is only reading fuel delivery and this is actually a a few calculations that include fuel pressure, engine load, and a few others. There is not an actual fuel flow metering sensor in the fuel system. I think it was more for an operator to be able to see what he can do to use less fuel based on the readings I just spoke about.

  20. #20OCR2008-07-09 01:31

    Sure works for me, Reuben...thanks... :notworthy BTW... a very outstanding attitude... one to be proud of... :thumbsup Now,back to the original topic... OCR

  21. #21Deereman2008-07-09 10:20

    I've ran both the 270C and 350D and prefer the 350D. The 270 is a good machine: stable,fast, and plenty of power. You might not be able to a tell a difference but where it really shines is pulling trench boxes or unloading counterweights. Plus I am a big fan of the 6090H thats in the 350. The only thing i hate about the 270 is fuel consumption. It really needs that bigger 6090 in her to help on the strain. That Engine(6068)thats in the 270 is also in the 200 and 240. Thats ruffly 12000 more pounds to push around then the 200. Never been a fan of the 6081. And the 350 is a whole lot better of a machine the 330CLC. On the slow 350D. Some rental companies turn their machine down just alittle to keep ppl from tearing them apart. And ever thoe the 350 is slower its usually toting a bigger bucket or more volume and loner stick in most cases. Its like our ol 490E would eat that 790E up with speed but after 22 dipper fulls 2 load a double axle truck and the 790's 7. You really appricate the 790.

  22. #22ncbschzzt2008-07-09 12:12

    thank you for proving my point.

  23. #23ncbschzzt2008-07-09 21:58

    I will have to find some of my old photos, I had a EX750 throw a rod once it the worst position ever. I was able to use the combination of a D10 Dozer and a 270C excavator to actually maneuver the 750 out. I removed the center shafts from the each planetary of the 750 and actually pulled it with the 270C, we were all very impressed. Just a little story about a 270.

  24. #24knucklehead982008-07-09 22:37

    I understand all your points about the rentals. This machine comes from ERB, our local Deere dealer, So it is highly possible thath it has been turned down. The machine did have a 36" bucket on it also.

  25. #25ncbschzzt2008-07-09 23:03

    These machines usually are not turned down, 350's are pretty much set from the factory and left that way. They are pretty close to spec and really don't need to be deviated from, but there is always a exception to the rule.

  26. #26Reuben2008-07-09 23:31

    I have questioned several reps regarding the "turned down theory". they ahve always said pretty much the same thing. A machine is set at the factory and stays that way. think about it why would they want a machine with there name on it not performing to the claimed specs. That would be plain crazy.

  27. #27ncbschzzt2008-07-10 01:17

    Anything that is pilot regulated is usually not messed with to much at the dealer level. Mainly your electronically controlled pump displacement machines are the ones that get adjusted more often. 450's, 550, 600, 650 and so on. 490E, okay could go on for a while. 200's and 300's generally are your machines that don't get much as far as pump adjustments go. For a while there Hitachi didn't even want us to adjust pump regulators, they said just replace them. That has calmed down a little, but thats how strongly they felt about it.

  28. #28Deereman2008-07-10 10:20

    Yea the 350 we don't have to mess with much or any of the new D series but the 330c for some reason always had to adjust. I know if Cat or komatsu or someone else knew that they was going out on a competivitave demo they would tweek their machine. And customers would always say "man that cats faster'. And would buy it strickly b/c it was just a wink faster. Then 2 months to 2 years later:"my pumps are whinning" or having to replace or fix them from over heating or working. But over all I like the new D's but Excavators still have a way to go

  29. #29brandt pc4002008-07-10 23:26

    We have a 350D its a nice hoe. I think our 300-7 will smoke it. But it doesnt help that im hardcore komatsu man.

  30. #30ncbschzzt2008-07-10 23:33

    Do I hear a challenge?

  31. #31brandt pc4002008-07-10 23:38

    Are you DEERE MAN.:usa

  32. #32special tool2008-07-11 07:13

    opcorn

  33. #33Deereman2008-07-11 15:33

    No he's not but maybe in his own right!! ncbschzzt, I've never seen the Dude. But a wise man none the less:drinkup

  34. #34joe from ne2008-07-13 01:34

    Hello Guys! I'm new on here but have been watching for awhile. I am finding this all very interesting. My question is I have a Deere 330lc right now and am thinking of moving up a little. I am trying to decide between a 350 or a 450. The machine will be used to take out overburden, about 160 hours a month plus. I am wondering how much more a 350 has over my 330. I am moving about 4000 to 4500 yards a day and really have to hustle to keep up. I am toploading scraper trains and getting about 40 yards on a train. Would it be worth to go with the 450 instead of the 350? Thanks

  35. #35knucklehead982008-07-13 12:47

    Here is the one that I had

  36. #36Deereman2008-07-13 15:02

    Joe, I believe the 350 would do you a great job for what you are doing. It has more of everything and is just all around good machine over the 330. And you know when you move up to a 450 some states(don't know about Nebraska) you have to start breaking the machine down. And I believe that there is a pretty penny price wise between the two. The 450D is a good machine but I liked the old 450CLC better with the 12.5 Deere in it better. But a lot of ppl like the D with the Isuzu / AH-6WG1XYSA-01 in it. Either way I think you would think you would be happy.:thumbsup

  37. #37joe from ne2008-07-13 15:44

    Does the 350 have quite a bit more breakaway power than the 330? That's what is slowing me down so much as the grounds so hard it slows my cycle time. And yes in Nebraska you do have to take off th counterweight and maybe the bucket to transport a 450. The only thing is this machine may never move from job before it is traded off or wore out. I'm thinking maybe 2000 hours per year on job. I appreciate all the input. thanks

  38. #38brandt pc4002008-07-13 23:16

    You should go to roadbuliders on cornhusker rd and talk to a guy named drew. Ask him to demo a pc400-8

  39. #39joe from ne2008-07-14 01:01

    I have spoke with drew once or twice and in fact he lives not to far from me. I Just don't have the confidence in Roadbuilders like I do in Murphy's. I own several John Deere pieces and They are out to fix whatever within a couple hours when I need them. Don't have a bunch of parts but none of them seem to. I Looked at a komatsu before I bought my 330 and in fact had it bought. Someone else came along and the guy sent me back my money plus another thousand so the guy obviously gave him quite a bit more than I did. So don't have anything against them and might give them a try.

  40. #40brandt pc4002008-07-14 21:04

    :deadhorse I think the new -8's are relly good on fuel. roadbuliders have been relly good about comeing out right away when we need something. Sorry im a huge komatsu man.:notworthy

  41. #41joe from ne2008-07-14 22:25

    Just going by your handle, I was wondering if you work for Rick?

  42. #42ncbschzzt2008-07-15 02:46

    Well I guess there are several things to take into consideration, I think the first would be production then cost. Is the added production from a 450 going to out way the cost? There is on average a 100-150K difference between the two machines. I would have to do the math and look at the charts, but if I remember right you can do 1.5x more production with a 450 in average digging. Don't hold me to that, again I would have to look it up. Deereman likes the 450C which is basically a Z06 corvette of machines. The 12.5 was WAY to much for that machine, in fact it was turned down as much as you can turn down a 12.5 practically. I still to this day wish Deere would have gone through with the over the road 12.5s Rick over there at Enquest still has a couple of the those Deere 12.5 truck engines. 500HP Bad arse.

  43. #43brandt pc4002008-07-15 11:57

    No who's rick?:beatsme I work for K&L. I would like to see where you work.

  44. #44joe from ne2008-07-16 00:27

    By Rick I meant Rick Brandt. Your welcome to stop by although right now doesn't look like much will be happening tomorrow with the storm. We're working basically at Greenwood interchange on I80 building roads for Cass county. Let me know when you might be around and I'll give you my phone number somehow. I actually might be in Omaha tomorrow to pick some stuff up.

  45. #45brandt pc4002008-07-16 14:50

    what is the name of the company? Maybe i will stop by.

  46. #46joe from ne2008-07-16 16:06

    Double J Const.

  47. #47brandt pc4002008-07-16 18:30

    Do you guys lay pipe?

  48. #48joe from ne2008-07-16 22:05

    Probably not the kind your thinking of. We do some pretty serious trenching though. Let a lot of tile line and small stuff. I guess if the job came up we would look into it. Actually don't have any time to take any jobs on right now though for about a year. Pretty booked up

  49. #49brandt pc4002008-07-16 22:52

    need to see some picks of what you do.

  50. #50Joe Dirt2009-01-18 22:39

    I think the Deere excavators are very high quailty mach.s I like the 240d the best just because of the extra weight .. and 2 rock gaurds on bottom.. Very smooth to run . i think not jerky at all .. It is made in the usa also right here in kernersville NC . i like that alot also .. just my 2 cents.

  51. #51tripletree2009-01-20 23:00

    350d fuel problems I am glad to see some one else brought this thread back. The company I work for leased 6 350d's. 4 were new out of the factory and 2 had around 100-200 hours. The new 350's are just getting to there 250 hr service but we have all ready gone threw 4 fuel transfer pumps 1 on the used machine and 3 the new machines. Our local dealer came right out and changed them and added a raycore (sp) filter. That has seemed to clear up the problems have not lost another in the last few weeks. I was thinking a bad lot of pumps all the serial number were very close. We are keeping 3 extra pumps on hand just in case as the dealer is 3-4 hours away. We did have water in the fuel/water filter but not what I though was excessive. Our cats have not had any similar trouble. I tested the fuel and I did not have excessive water in the system and we filter our fuel out of the fuel truck also. Just wondering if any one else has seen this problem. We are new to John deere have been a cat outfit till now

  52. #52Joe Dirt2009-01-20 23:45

    We have 2 friends with brand new 350 ds and not any know problems.. This is a brand new model from Deere and i think they have all there problems weeded out now.. But i know from past if you have a problem. the dealers are more then ready to fix it and get you the help you need.. What type of work you do .. pipe line .. mainly for 350ds for us.. They both have 300 hrs on the now.. I know the factory had problems with there travel motors but it was a hitachi part from japan and they spent 6 million fixing all them . right off the bat.. I really think the Deers are alot smoother to run .. very strong breakout force.. More than the cat... which gets work done faster... But cat makes good dozers .. But i think Deere and hitachi have the excavator down to a T

  53. #53farm_boy2009-01-20 23:46

    Tripletree: Other than your fuel pump issue how do you like your 350D's? Are they working well for you? I'm glad to hear that the Raycor filters have addressed the issue.

  54. #54tripletree2009-01-21 09:09

    running good now They are all running good now. The local dealer has been a great help and their mechanic is one sharp guy. We are using the 350's to sub ex some berms and for pipe.

  55. #55Deereman2009-01-21 13:20

    I'm glad to you ya'll liking the machines and the dealers taking care of you. I wasn't a big fan of the 330CLC's with that 6081H engine but when Deere updated to the 350 and upgraded to the 6090H I was thrilled. Main thing was fuel filters on these hoes.