Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 350 snapped axle can a new spline be put on?

fast_st ยท 2013-01-23 09:14

Lets see, first a picture: http://www.tiger-mtn.com/gallery2/m...DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1536&g2_serialNumber=2 Neighbor was backing up, clipped a stump and jumped the track into the lift arms, track bound and axle snapped. I have found a few spares out and around but am wondering, has anyone had experience with having a machine shop cut off the damage and put on a new spline on a dozer axle shaft? I've heard of it done on tractors and everything else but just curious for input.

Replies7
  1. #1JeremiahSr2013-01-23 09:28

    I have heard of people doing it but how long it last.....? I have a shop around me that can engineer blueprints, build new axle, then send out and have hardened/treated to exact specifications that the original axle was. This is an expensive task and takes nearly a month. Only went this way a couple times due to lack of replacement parts. I would think an aftermarket or used shop would have this axle for relativle cheap price.

  2. #2fast_st2013-01-23 10:02

    Thanks, I've found a couple replacements but have heard tales of folks grinding the shaft, welding on a blank, furnace heating it dull red to normalize it then having the new end re-machined and splined before case hardening. Just not sure if anyone has had it done on a piece of heavy equipment with good success.

  3. #3chroniekon2013-01-23 12:38

    These guys are in the automotive racing end of things, but may be able to answer some of your questions. I was going to have them build a shaft for me for use on an ag rototiller. They could do it, but JeremiahSr is right, it was going to cost more to have one built than I could buy a new one for. http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/

  4. #4kevin37b2013-01-24 17:05

    No you are not going to weld that , and have it hold .

  5. #5fast_st2013-01-24 17:13

    Well, I'm certain that with the right prep/pre/post procedures it'd hold I almost wonder if the finals for another model would fit, seems they changed the splines but the bull gear looks about the same.

  6. #683Jim2013-01-24 18:56

    My family has owned several John Deere including 350, 2010 and 440 crawlers. Some of the final drive bull gear, pinion gear and axle parts did interchange between 440, 1010 and 350 crawlers. At this point, I am not sure which ones they were. I do know the final drive housing from 1010 was heavier built and would work on the older 440 machine. I racall that the pinion gear and bearings were the same between the 440,1010 and 350 but the bull gear bearings and oil seal were heavier on the latter units. I also think the steering clutch assy and axle would interchange between the 350, 350B and 1010 (except for the 350C which was an oil type set up where as the others were dry clutches). The short answer is, if you look carefully you will find some ring gear, axle, steering clutch, brake and final drive components do interchange between 350B, 350, 1010 and 440. If you had the parts books it would be better able to cross reference the part applications.

  7. #7Garrie Denny2013-01-25 20:59

    I think that to go to all the hassle of welding and whatever else youd need to do, then be just waiting for a bang when you got it back together, id personally be going second hand or new if a must, probably work out same price against the other way.