Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 350g excavator 641-07 code

John Sarappa · 2025-11-05 19:37

Good evening, I have a 350g excavator with t his code and it is derating. I see it is turbo vane position actuator related. All the writeups and videos I see clearly show linkage coming from the actuator to the turbo. I don’t see the linkage to check if it is stuck or froze up. I haven’t taken the sheet metal off to really dig in yet. Just wondering does this machine have exposed ling that you can see and grab to see if it moves freely? Thanks!

Replies24
  1. #1mg23612025-11-06 05:30

    It can be checked. Look for information in your messages. It will be around lunch time when I'll send it.

  2. #2John Sarappa2025-11-06 06:41

    Thank you

  3. #3John Sarappa2025-11-06 10:49

    I just looked again. This machine definitely does not have an external rod or linkage to move the vanes. looks like it’s all electronic. Lucky me.

  4. #4mg23612025-11-06 11:56

    It can still be checked. Check your messages.

  5. #5John Sarappa2025-11-06 16:27

    Thanks, in the writeup that you sent me they mention inthe video to check the oil control valve for debris. Where is that?

  6. #6mg23612025-11-07 04:50

    On the opposite side of the piston.

  7. #7John Sarappa2025-11-07 08:21

    Thanks

  8. #8John Sarappa2025-11-24 14:03

    I can’t figure out how to remove it. There are two bolts on it ,one on the bottom which I can take off easily the top one is blocked by the sensor wire and I don’t know how to take the wire off without breaking something. Can you give me any insight on this, please thanks

  9. #9mg23612025-11-25 06:30

    It has been a long time since I had one apart, so my memory is failing me. I do believe the solenoid is only held in place with one screw (the bottom one). I assume the wire you are referring to is the solenoid's plug? Maybe post a picture to help an old guy remember.

  10. #10John Sarappa2025-11-25 07:39

    I looked up the part to buy one and yes, it only is held in by one bolt ,here is a picture. I guess I just have to get some kind of grip on it to pull it out.

  11. #11mg23612025-11-25 09:08

    That would be correct.

  12. #12John Sarappa2025-11-25 09:19

    Thanks

  13. #13John Sarappa2025-11-26 09:06

    I got it out and the screens were clean. I noticed that the piston inside it only opens enough to allow 2 mm of the 6 mm window to be exposed. I ordered a new one and see what happens.

  14. #14John Sarappa2025-12-18 16:39

    So it finally warmed up enough for me to replace the actuator and I’m still getting the same code. Is there anyway to troubleshoot the position sensor without service advisor?

  15. #15mg23612025-12-19 04:37

    Did you clear the codes before starting? Is the red code indicator on?

  16. #16John Sarappa2025-12-19 08:06

    Yes, I removed the cap and the piston goes in and out about 10 mm just like that video shows there are no code showing when you first start the machine. They pop up after about 10 minutes of running when it warms up.

  17. #17John Sarappa2025-12-19 09:36

    I saw in another thread where you mention to someone else about clearing the codes using the number 9 button and the dial to get to the codes to clear them. Is this the same process for my machine? I have never done this, I have a battery switch that I turn off w not using the machine and when I turn it off al the codes and red light goes away for about 10 minutes. I assumed that this was clearing the codes?

  18. #18mg23612025-12-19 12:03

    Key on, press and hold #9, press the dial down once, release the buttons. You should then be in the service mode. Turn dial until you see and highlight "service menu", press the dial. Then scroll to troubleshooting, press the dial to enter. When you enter a controller to view the codes (indicated by any number other than zero), you will have the option to clear the codes. Any codes that do not clear are active. Stored codes will clear. If all the codes clear, run it and see what returns.

  19. #19John Sarappa2025-12-19 12:07

    Ok, I will try that.

  20. #20John Sarappa2025-12-20 11:58

    So I went into the diagnostic screen, and these are the codes that showed up. I cleared them random machine about 10 minutes and those seem to codes came back.

  21. #21mg23612025-12-21 05:33

    111.18 - Low Coolant Level 158.01 - Battery Voltage Extremely Low 636.10 - Camshaft Signal Rate of Change Abnormal 641.07 - VGT Desired and Actual Mismatch During a Learn 1569.31 - Engine is Dereated 1638.09 - Hydraulic Oil Temperature Signal Not Received 2795.07 - VGT Vane Desired and Actual Position Mismatch The engine is derated due to the coolant low code. The camshaft signal code is most likely due to the extremely low voltage. Camshaft codes like to pop up when cranking due to the cranking speed being a little too low. This code does not derate an engine. It is possible the VGT may not be reacting as it should due to the low voltage as well. The VGT code 641.07 occurs at key on. Get your voltage where it should be, either with new batteries or a jump. Clear the codes and try again. It is possible you could still need a turbo. The vanes may move smoothly, but the travel could be excessive due to wear. First, I would make sure the wiring is OK and that the sensor is not giving false data. Check your messages.

  22. #22John Sarappa2026-01-08 12:05

    I have to get a new turbo,the piston is hanging up. Any advice or tip, writeups on removing it? Thanks

  23. #23mg23612026-01-09 05:45

    Deere only offers a generic 6090 VGT removal and installation procedure, not a machine specific. Check your messages.

  24. #24John Sarappa2026-01-09 09:02

    Thank you!