Hello, I'm going to the field on Monday to work on this excavator. Customer installed grab-rotator but the rotating doesn't work. From their description I think either this function is not turned on or there is something wrong with the electrics. Can you guys give me a heads up? What should I check?
I suggest first checking the electrical control circuit of the log grapple. Generally, there are four solenoid valves on the log grapple; when you press a button on the handle, the corresponding solenoid valve will light up. I recommend starting with this.
No, no... There is no solenoids on the grapple. The machine controls auxiliary hydraulics via main control valve solenoids, control module and potentiometers on the joysticks.
Have worked on a few rotators in the past. Could hook up gauges to see if you have pressure on both sides of rotator. You will have to start somewhere. Follow the oil line back to the contol valve spool to see if there is pilot pressure on the spool when actuated. Maybe a spool is jammed? Maybe the signal is not coming to the spool. Have not worked on that machine so maybe I am way off. Is it maybe a problem of what is being controlled electrically? Keep us posted. Simon C
Ask for machine & attachment hyd. schematic and post it here, might get a way out
The rotation function is operated by two-way hydraulics controlled by potentiometer on the joystick. There is nothing wrong with the rotator but there is no oil coming from the machine. Grab function and everything else works. I know that you have to turn on the two-way hydraulics work mode via monitor but the customer tried that. So, before I dive into troubleshooting, my question is how do I make sure it's turned on? What are conditions to make it work? Do I have to enter the service menu and set it up there?
Think your on the right path. Might need to do some reading of manuals first. Simon C
I've been reading operation manual for the machine and I came across a note that says "If installing 2nd attachment line as a field kit ask distributor to change monitor setting to allow 2 attachments" . So It could be that I only have to turn on this function via monitor. See picture. So, does anyone knows how to change the monitor setting to allow 2nd attachment?
Be just guessing, but probably need Komatsu software to be able to get computer trained for new function. Simon C
This new stuff is getting stupid with the computers. Tools required to fix equipment should be wrenches, hammers, sockets. Not laptops and nintendos.
I think you should go to the special function monitor to set the second attachment. It's a bit confusing, so you might want to refer to the machine's hydraulic diagram, which I've attached below. Please see the attached file for more details. Good luck.
I found that turning on the 2nd attachment is actually very straight forward. It's done within the service mode and described in the shop manual. That if you have the correct monitor... I was on the machine. I turns out that the new monitor (which I sold and installed in the beginning of the year) is for the early models of the machine. If my investigation is correct, it was supplied up to s/n K51095. Those machines had only one attachment. The machine I'm working on is later than s/n K51095 and it has got potentiometers on both joysticks for two additional attachment lines. After entering the service mode to adjust the setting I can only select with or without attachment. There is no option of 2nd attachment. Machine is fully equipped for 2nd attachment but there is nothing to be done! I can only replace the monitor with the correct one or have new software installed (but this is never going to happen).
Thank you for your effort.