Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 35P or 50P

johndeerefarmer · 2025-07-14 12:16

Looking for a mini x to bury horses/cows, dig ditches, dig stumps, and to run a brush cutter. Currently have a Deere BH11 backhoe attachment for my compact track loader. The 35P hydraulic specs are about equal the backhoe. So either should work for digging. On the brush cutter my plan was to get the standard arm on the 35p and the extra weight so it wouldn't be tippy from the side. The 50P being wider should be more stable. From what I can find out both the 35P and 50P give priority to the arm so the cutter will cut off every time you move the arm. Based on that the 50P doesn't seem like a big advantage for what I want to do. Thoughts?

Replies12
  1. #1BC Placer gold2025-07-14 12:40

    I would highly recommend the 5 ton… A lot more machine than the specs may indicate; substantially more stability due in part to the extra undercarriage width. We currently run a 50d but have owned from 2.7 to 5 ton in mini’s. A 5 ton would be my pick! Good luck!

  2. #2johndeerefarmer2025-07-14 12:48

    Thnaks

  3. #3John V2025-07-14 13:07

    3.5 tons are great for digging, moving around brush/logs, and some light grading. Anything else, like running attachments, removing stumps, moving rocks/boulders, id go minimum 5 ton.

  4. #4skyking12025-07-14 15:24

    When my boss asked me if I wanted the 50 I told him no. But I had a very specific set of needs and there have been many jobs. I couldn't get a 50 into. If the extra 10 in of width and 20 in at the blade in length isn't going to bother you, then go for bigger. They're a lot more fun and as mentioned above, especially with a heavy attachment.

  5. #5MG842025-07-15 21:11

    For the tasks you describe, definitely get a 50p, if not a 60p. I've owned and/or run many different sizes and models, and the work capacity of the 5-6 ton machines is substantially more than a 3.5 ton. The previous machine I owned was a 3.5 ton Kubota and last year I moved up to a 5 ton Kubota, both zero tail swing. Benefits of the 3.5 ton: -much easier to haul behind a pickup -better for working inside or near buildings -would fit through a 6' gate -25hp so no emissions, computer control, etc Benefits of the 5 ton: -considerably more breakout force on both the stick and the bucket -smoother in hard digging, more stable with less rocking around -volume of the buckets is larger for a given size, with a 36" bucket I could dig a livestock sized grave in just a few minutes -more height/reach when loading, can load my tandem dump truck in 7-8min If you are working mostly in open areas and can haul the larger machine, I would definitely opt for the 5-6 ton class machine. Digging holes, trenching, digging stumps and clearing land, I'd say the larger machines are close to double the speed vs a 3.5ton. IMO running a brush cutter on any of them sucks (on a CTL/skid steer too.) If you've spent much time running a bush hog on the back of a tractor you'll probably be disappointed in the cutting power/performance of any of these small hydraulic powered brush cutters.

  6. #6BC Placer gold2025-07-15 22:44

    ^^^MG84 sums it up perfectly….

  7. #7skyking12025-07-15 23:09

    The only place they make hay is on ditchbanks and slopes the tractor won't run on. Then bigger is better again unless you carry a lotta extra jimmies to change . Nothing like nosing into a ***** whole with a tool like that on.

  8. #8johndeerefarmer2025-07-16 12:19

    So the only advantage of the 50P over the 35P as far as brush cutters is that it won't tip so easy? You can't raise the arm up and down on either one without the cutter shutting off? Thanks

  9. #9Kjell2025-07-16 17:11

    You can raise the boom and the arm on both the 50P and the 35P without the cutter shutting off, but it will slow down. The 50P have a closed centre singlepump hydraulic system and will behave a lot better than the 35P with a 3 pump open centre hydraulic system when you use the brush cutter. I agree about the standard arm on the 35P but because the good lifting kinematics of the boom on the 50P the long arm is a good choise on the 50P. The 50P is slow and weak when travelling compared with the 35P.

  10. #10KSSS2025-07-16 20:48

    Other than price, I am not sure what the 35 gives you over a 50. I doubt weight is an issue and it doesn't sound like physical size matters. You don't mention a thumb but I can't imagine a mini without one. I would spec a 50P (if Deere is your only choice) and get it with a second aux line. The first aux will run your thumb, second would be for brush cutting. Just in case your not aware, a thumb with one aux line will force you to reduce the PSI on that line to give to the bucket when you curl in against the bucket to avoid damaging the thumb. This reduction in PSI reduces the ability of the cutter. Have the second aux with a PSI setting set to maximize the brush cutter. Make sure you select a cutter that will work with the specs of a 50P. While I think the manual coupler on Deere's mini ex's suck, I think for as often as you will swap back and forth it would be workable. If it works for what you want to spend, adding a hyd coupler is money that few people ever regret spending.

  11. #11johndeerefarmer2025-07-17 08:23

    I don't see an option for a second aux on the build and price

  12. #12KSSS2025-07-17 08:40

    It would surprise me if they don't offer a second aux. line. You may mention it to the sales guy and see if they offer it. If they don't, I would look at other options.