Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 35P run it full throttle?

johndeerefarmer · 2025-10-09 17:00

Got my 35P a few weeks ago. Got over 30 hours on it. I find that if I run it full throttle I can leave the brush cutter running and I am able to move the dipper stick up. If I run less than full throttle then I have to turn off the cutter, move the stick and then turn it back on. Works fairly good at WOT. Problem is I grew up running equipment at lower rpms if at all possible because of less wear and tear on the engine as well as less fuel. I also run my Deere tractors with economy PTO whenever possible for the same reason. I also very seldom run my CTL at WOT unless I need maximum lifting capacity. I guess old habits are hard to break. How many hours will these little engines last at WOT? Do you run at WOT?

Replies7
  1. #1reganj2025-10-09 21:07

    My limited understanding of newer engines, ones that have DEF and or DPF, should be run WOT, Older engines you can run at the RPM you need to do the job. Some of the smart folk on here will give you a definitive answer and correct me ifn I am mistaken which happens more than I like to admit.

  2. #2skyking12025-10-10 01:19

    Always wide open on excavators and backhoes. I want all it can give and I want it to be predictable.

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-10-10 12:44

    I only run wide open when I need it, thankfully I don’t have anything new enough with DEF or DPF. When I was running the brush cutter on my skid that I rented for a few days to try before buy, I had to keep it wide open. Was a POS though.

  4. #4BC Placer gold2025-10-10 18:37

    Our 50d (4tnv88) runs best at 80%…this rpm range is shown on factory decal…also just sounds/feels right at this speed… Currently at 7639h… That being said if I am climbing a steep grade or doing ‘production’ work; 100% throttle. Every other excavator we have owned (up to a 27 ton). Full throttle.

  5. #5csthompson122025-10-19 20:52

    On the Takeuchi TB260 I always run it backed off somewhat... At full throttle it always sounds like it winding out pretty good. Maybe just have to get used to it.

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-10-20 02:18

    I always run my skid steer wide open. I don't think it wears it out any faster and is easier on the hydrostatic drive. Wear usually comes from starting especially in cold weather. I also like to have as fast of response to the controls as possible. If you're running an attachment with a hyd. motor for sure should be full throttle unless it's something like an auger. That and a backhoe attachment is about the only time I don't run full throttle. I think the machines are made to run full throttle especially the smaller ones. A big excavator loading loose material could be be run at less than full throttle/power. A mini-ex isn't going to use a lot of fuel.

  7. #7Vetech632025-10-20 08:57

    Any attachment with a continuous motor depends on GPM's to operate efficiently. Most all set-ups I have seen have to run at full throttle to achieve the GPM rating called for by that implement.