Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 400G?

qball98 ยท 2009-11-26 20:26

Found one to these close to me that is for sale but can not seem to find much information on them. I understand that this model was only made for a few years in the late 80's and early 90's. Does anyone know if there were any problems with this model I should look out for? Any information you have about them would be appreciated because I can't seem to find much about them on the web. I have been looking for a small machine to compliment my backhoe for a while now and I think this might do. Most of what I find around here a Cat D3's which I know are a few thousand pounds heavier and a few more horse power but the cheapest ones I can find that are not wore out have more than double the hours on them (assuming all the meters work and are accurate) and are over $10,000 more than the Deere. So as it stands now it is either this or a Komatsu D20 or 21 which are about the same price locally as the Deere. Any opinions on what to do? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1JimInOz2009-11-26 21:24

    There are guys who repair & use JD crawlers on this site: http://www.jdcrawlers.com/

  2. #2Greg2009-11-26 21:45

    You get what you pay for. Buy the Cat. Also, when you have to work on them the deere is a real little SOB. In other words, if the guys that designed them had to work on them they never would have designed them that way.

  3. #3special tool2009-11-27 07:43

    Greg - got any pictures of your 400G - love to see them.

  4. #4Greg2009-11-27 07:56

    Don't have a 400G. Have a 450C track loader. It looks fine, has great undercarriage under it, engine is fine and has the hydraulic nightmares I have heard others tell about and it is a little SOB to work on just like the mehanis will tell you.

  5. #511ron2009-11-27 12:09

    Hi i have a 400g it is basically a new version of a 350 most of the parts that fit a 350 fit the 400 i have had no problems getting parts.As far as repairs i have only had a 350b and the 400g . If you want some pictures just ask and i will see if i can post some.

  6. #6special tool2009-11-27 18:03

    Love to see some pics from a Deere man, Ron.:drinkup

  7. #711ron2009-11-28 06:37

    Hope these post.