Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Td8

Alaska Dan ยท 2009-11-27 11:14

Just wondering - does anyone know what TD8 stands for? Thanks Dan

Replies8
  1. #1hardtail2009-11-28 07:30

    International made various forms of equipment from early on, in the late 30's the TD came about standing for track diesel, the 8 I presume is some sizing designation that model recieved later on.............

  2. #2Richardjw~2009-11-28 08:56

    and if there was a 'B' prefix then it was manufactured in United Kingdom

  3. #3Alaska Dan2009-11-28 11:25

    Thanks guys. I appreciate that. Dan

  4. #4hardtail2009-11-28 17:31

    I can't say for sure on the later models like yours and likely wasn't any forethought by IH on their classification but the early machines once outfitted with gear, canopies, dozers and winches came very close to the models tonnage in weight as a ballpark rule.........early TD9 fitted 18,000lbs and up........yours may weigh more????? Crawler weight and hp crept up later on, heck a TD9 today likely has the hp of the ol 18's, they should have shaved some weight off those old heavy dozers though.......LOL

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-11-28 17:46

    Well I didnt know that, :notworthy I cut my teeth on a IH BTD8 dozer :drinkup

  6. #6Richardjw~2009-11-29 02:11

    Hi Rob, Yes, they opened up the Doncaster facility in 1947 cheers Richard

  7. #7Alaska Dan2009-11-29 03:47

    I was told my TD8 weighs about 17,000 lbs.

  8. #8AtlasRob2009-11-29 07:59

    I would say thats about right, I would have guessed it at about 7 or 8 tons.