Having just replaced the forward clutch discs and plates, I had trouble replacing the reverser rear cover assy. It would go into the housing except for the last approx. 1/4". At that point the output shaft would bind and couldn't be turned. I thought the frontmost reverse plate was slipping down and getting in the way so, just to see, I removed the reverse brake discs and plates and then tried to install the cover assy. Output shaft still bound at ~ 1/4" from the cover being seated. ??? It appears that the output shaft is contacting the end of the imput shaft before the cover assy. is seated. I did not disassemble the output shaft from the cover assy. and the input shaft wasn't touched, so they are both "as removed". I'm out of ideas at this point. Any thoughts??
Seal ring break on assembly and the pieces are holding the forward pack up a little?
Hi mg2361, Thanks for the reply. The sealing rings (on the output shaft) appear to be fine. Today I hope to replace the Rear Cover without the brake assy. and without the forward clutch assy. in place. That should pretty much narrow the issue down. I really find it hard to believe that the input & output shafts are in a linear interference situation, as neither of their mountings has been disturbed. As the cover assy. slides in, the output shaft turns freely until that last 1/4" or so. Then it binds up and the cover bolts start to "torque up". I haven't "pushed" the bolt torque as it is apparent that something isn't right. I suspect, at this time, that you are on the right track - the forward clutch assy. is the interfering component- but I can't quite imagine how. The seam between the housing and cover appears tight, so there isn't any way it could be "longer". Anyway, slipping it together with just the shaft, no reverse brake components or the fwd. clutch assy. should "tell a tale". One fortunate thing with this problem, when I first removed the RC assy., the "first planetary gear" came with it. In searching through the Tech. Manual, I discovered that the planetary gears are "timed" and the "first planetary gear" has to be installed in the correct orientation. I can't see what the need for this is, but I'll follow the "destructions"!