Wondering if anyone has some advice regarding adding one of those [inexpensive] weld-on thumbs for my backhoe. These can be had for between $300-$500 depending on quality. The ones that I am looking at are built from either 1/2" or 5/8" steel. I am a novice, and have found that moving stumps around (after I have dug them up) is a real pain. I have been using chains to lift/move. But I really want to be able to clean these things out a bit before moving them to the far side of the property. Not sure how durable these things are. Not looking to use it to dig stumps, but being able to move them, and stack logs, and maybe move some rocks (e.g. make a wall) looks to be much easier using one. Even lifting/dropping stumps lets a lot of rock/dirt out of the root ball. Here in NH, there are always rocks there. Heck, I have run into rocks cutting down the tree itself (right in the middle of the tree trunk). But... are these lower-end products going to last? I just don't know. I am pretty confident that I could install/weld a nice 36" product on the backhoe. I sort of wish that they were bolt-on instead, with parts that could be replaced. Looks like most of the inexpensive ones are from China. The Linville line is made in USA, and closer to the $550-600 range for the manual 36" size. Almost bought a chinese one built with (allegedly) 5/8" steel (some of the reviews contradict this claimed spec) the other night. Any thoughts on these inexpensive manual thumbs? I have seen some of the other "real" thumbs (e.g. the Amulet HoeClamp) but dang they get pricey. Not sure how much I trust "reviews" over real experience (e.g. you guys!).
There are a few threads on this with lots of owner reports. Joe H
Do you have an extendahoe or fixed boom? Extendable booms create some different obstacles for thumb installation. This is the one I put on my NH. Works fine. I've had issues with a couple orders from them but the thumb order came quick with no problems. Pay with a credit card so you have recourse if you have problems. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...plate-assembly-weld-on-adjustable/122982.html They also sell a hydraulic version but it shows on backorder. I found a seller on eBay advertising what looks like the same hydraulic model. Looked like they had some sketchy feedback but that is going to be the case with all these furrin suppliers.
I destroyed two thumbs on my T/L/B before I finally got them figured out. They were (are) same brand NH575E's link is to. Your bucket size determines what size thumb you need. All those hydraulic thumbs offered by the thumb vendors are too darn flimsy for me. I have a detailed thread about my fixed thumb to hydraulic conversion in another thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
I think I was reading the thread from a few years ago that you started on the Titan (I believe). That is basically the 36" I am looking at. What I do not get a good feel for, aside from the misc welding sub-topics, is how strong these actually are. The last thing I need is a mangled piece of welded-on steel on my backhoe. I don't think that anything in the 36" range has a bolt-on option, and do not want it Mickey'd on there. There are lots of good reads on the subject, tips, etc. in some of the threads. I would not attempt to manufacture one (like many others would do) nor looking for a hydraulic one (and associated add-on valves/hoses/diverters etc.). So I guess you are happy with the Titan product still, yes?
The weld on thumb mounts can be easily converted to-bolt. It would require welding a plate to the thumb mount that would be wider than the dipper so that bolts can be added to it.
You would have a hard time bending the 36 inch titan thumb. I read where someone had a problem with a smaller one. Mine is solid thick steel.
I have a hard time believing you destroyed one of these 36", 5/8" metal thumbs, much less two of them. You must be picking up boulders and applying full force to do that. Mine is over 5 years old and looks just like the day I welded it on. I haven't even retracted it to the stow position in two years. I have learned to dig with it extended. I use it for moving brush, logs, and stumps as much or more than I use my hoe for digging. I have grabbed on to 8-10 inch trees and ripped them out of the ground with it. I am not trying to sell these. I don't even like the company. BUT I can't overlook a value when I find one and you can't beat this product for the cost. The actual thumb is made from two pieces of 5/8" thick steel separated by a 3/8" thick plate. The weld on channels are 7/16" thick shaped in a U. The support they used in place of a cylinder is 3/4" thick and is boxed at 2-5/8" X 3-7/8". I guarandamntee you won't bend it.
I posted this in Sept. 2019. The RH side is 1 1/4 inches higher that the left after it was bent. I took it off and cut it up for steel plates.
What he said !!
I think I am going to put an order in. I wonder how much I should tip the FedEx Driver? I have punished this guy in the past with deliveries over the past few years; things like sheds, and batteries, and all sorts of heavy in the past.
It looks like if you plan to put the amount of pressure on it that Tinkerer does you might want to weld in some gussets on the back side. Mine has held up fine for working with wood but I guess he has proven it has limits.