Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 410C Steering issue.

nicetoy ยท 2013-07-24 08:55

I just got my 410C up and running for the first time since I bought it. I got it to my property and started digging stumps. After a few hours of work, I went to relocate around a stump, and the steering was funky. It was harder to steer then normal, and from strait on, if you turn the wheel in either direction, it will automatically turn all the way left if you start the wheel left, or all the way right if you start the wheel right. You can still keep it strait, and turn back and forth, but it's tougher to do then it should be. About 4-5 hours after this started, the backhoe started to chatter real bad, and the hydraulics for the hoe seem slow and weak. Prior to the hoe hydraulics chattering, I stopped into my closest JD dealer for a part for a different machine, and asked the Service Manager about the janky steering. His opinion was that the steering valve had a blockage, or bad springs and needed a rebuild. My question is: From my understanding, thew steering valve is a priority valve, so that will get pressure first before anthing else. Could my steering issue be related to my chattering hoe operation? I may be able to find a used steering valve easy enough, which would make life simple.

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2013-07-24 10:11

    Yes, the steering could be related to the hoe operation. The steering valve may be rebuildable in place, and easier (more trustworthy) than swapping out a used one. But back up for a minute, when this happened did you check the hydraulic oil level and did it look foamy/milky? Did the engine "load up" the same when operating the hoe? I believe this is a closed center system like my 610c, so the engine should load when a function is doing work, not when it's stalled (like it would on open center system) and the engine should NOT lighten the load/increase speed when a function is started, that would indicate that valve was leaking when it shouldn't have been. Also, I believe the priority valve only prioritizes steering (and brakes?) over loader function. If you operate the backhoe while steering, you should lose steering. So it's possible that the backhoe could affect your steering, but I've never looked into any steering so I have no idea what's causing your steering issues.

  2. #2nicetoy2013-07-24 10:17

    The fluid is all new, I just barely replaced the swing tower/ boom/ and dipper, have had a couple small leaks I've been attending to, but right now everything seems tight, dry, and to level. the backhoe chatter didn't start until a couple hours after the steering went array.

  3. #3Delmer2013-07-24 10:37

    Yes, but what did the fluid look like when it was having the problem? And what did the filters/screens and old oil look like when you changed them?

  4. #4nicetoy2013-07-24 10:39

    Not milky, old fluid was clean. Hydro pump was replaced like 1000-1500 hours ago by PO.

  5. #5outbackrider2013-07-24 13:37

    Take a look at this thread...be sure that the suction side hoses are tight.... HeavyEquipmentForums How about the filters like Delmar said???

  6. #6nicetoy2013-07-24 14:21

    I purchased a new hydro filter, but have not swapped it out yet. What size socket is needed to spin off that filter? It seems like perhaps 1 5/8"? Does it just spin off or are there set screws somewhere? To get to the screens am I going to have to drain the system? I'm really hoping that looking at that last post that it is simply sucking some air at the main suction line...

  7. #7Delmer2013-07-24 19:02

    No set screws, just takes a good whack on the breaker bar to get the canister loose. Probably have to drain the fluid to get the screens out, I do on mine. Another clue might be what it does when you start it up again (the way it is now) will it do both problems from the start, or run OK for a bit and then the problems start up? It does kinda sound like a steering valve issue, but might as well check the easy stuff first, at least until somebody that knows steering says otherwise...

  8. #8mikebramel2013-07-24 22:12

    That is most certainly a filter that needs to be cut and inspected for contents

  9. #9nicetoy2013-08-12 13:38

    So I got the filter changed (had to remove the whole filter assembly and bring it home to break it open on the bench where my tool options are better then in the field), cleaned the screens, filtered the oil as it went back in the machine. Now I'm back in operating shape, and things (except steering) is actually usable. I cut the filter in half length wise to inspect, and there was a lot of sludge, and metal filings built up in there. The metal was all just fine flake such as wear would produce. I cleaned the main suction screen, the screen in the priority valve, and changed to a new suction line (old rubber suction line had really deteriorated ends). Are there any other screens in the machine, or just the 2? I spoke with a Deere Service tech whom told me that he believed that my steering problem was likely due to something being clogged in the steering valve spool, and with the amount of debris that was in the system, I can believe that may be the case. Does this sound plausible to everyone here? I dug about 10 decent sized stumps yesterday, and she worked pretty well, just trying to fix all kinds of little things. I'm thinking I'm going to put about 20 more run hours on her, and then change out the filter again in an attempt to get as much from the system as possible (anti seize grease on the threads this time).

  10. #10Delmer2013-08-12 17:38

    That's alot better than any of the guesses I have. Congratulations on the improvement. With the fine metal be sure to add some magnets into the system to collect the scrap iron, I like salvage computer hard drive magnets, very powerful. Stuck to the outside of the hydraulic filter cartridge would be a good spot (just double check the flow direction on yours first!)