Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 410e stuck in 4wd

Csocha · 2026-02-06 19:39

Hey everyone, I have a 99 John Deere 410e that has been stuck in 4wd for months. The switch lights up when on and shuts off when off but the machine absolutely will not come out of 4x4. Been like this since I bought it but it only has 1700 hrs on it, very clean machine Anyone know where to check? I have the full service manual but I can’t seem to find any trouble shooting or tests

Replies12
  1. #1mg23612026-02-07 05:59

    Please supply the machine's serial number when posting. Check your F1 (7.5A) fuse labeled MFWD/Alt/Diff Lock. On those machine's, it requires voltage to the MFWD solenoid (bottom solenoid of the three on the left side of the trans) to turn off the MFWD. Lack of voltage turns the MFWD on.

  2. #2Csocha2026-02-07 07:01

    Sorry, serial number last 6 is 875904 Just checked the fuse, all fuses are good, and tested with a meter. What’s the best way to access that solenoid the check it for power? That will be my next step @mg2361

  3. #3mg23612026-02-07 07:35

    That serial is not coming up in the system. Access it from below. Looking up at the trans, the solenoids are on the left side, near the top of the transmission. If you remove the panel that is in front of the cab, you might be able to access it that way as well.

  4. #4JL Sargent2026-02-07 11:32

    Like the parking brake, the MFWD is spring applied and hydraulically released. So for example if 4wd stuck on, then solenoid may be bad or stuck or elec problem such as switch. As MG mentioned the solenoid is bottom one in a group of 3 on left side just in front of operators station. So should have voltage at that solenoid when tractor MFWD is off.

  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2026-02-07 12:24

    This might sound silly but we had some 416s that would wind up might try lifting the front wheels off the ground to unwind it

  6. #6MG842026-02-07 18:51

    My Case 480E is like this also, the 4wd is a mechanical lever and is easy to shift into 4wd. Only way to get it out of 4wd (without forcing it) is lift the front wheels off the ground. I suggest the OP try this, always check the simplest things first.

  7. #7Csocha2026-02-13 17:23

    sorry for the delay, finally got a change to look at this again.firstly yes I’ve tried everything I could to make it come out of 4wd. Tried reverse, tried lifting wheels, I had a change to check the coil, and voltage. Good voltage and ground when the switch is off, and no voltage with it on. Both seem to check out. Going to pull the valve out and see what it looks like. Keep you guys posted! Thanks again for all the help

  8. #8Csocha2026-02-13 17:24

    Coil is magnetic with voltage aswell I meant to write aslo

  9. #9Csocha2026-02-13 17:50

    Just bench tested the valve, seems like everything is working, and moving fine

  10. #10mg23612026-02-13 19:09

    Then pressure testing would be next. Then you need TM1610 Operation and Test manual.

  11. #11Csocha2026-02-18 11:35

    I checked pressure according to the manual and it’s good, I threw it back together and tried it for the heck of it and everything is working! Maybe was a dirty connection or solenoid valve was a little dirty but not terrible. Anyways, all is working now thank you!

  12. #12JL Sargent2026-02-18 17:31

    So glad you got it sorted out.