Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deere 410L losing hydraulics

wlhequipment · 2024-10-28 18:23

Hi folks, A customer just called and he's got a 410L, and he tells me the backhoe quits working randomly. That's actually all he said, seriously. I'm of course going to call his operator tomorrow and find out WTH he's talking about, but until I do, does anyone have any thoughts popping into your heads when you hear that?

Replies20
  1. #1mg23612024-10-29 05:46

    In the service mode of the monitor, you can watch the L/S pressures for valve and pump. See if you are losing one of them when the hydraulics quit. Then you might have to confirm you are losing the pressure with a gauge to rule out a bad pressure sensor (though I have not had a bad sensor yet) Also, post up the serial number when you get it.

  2. #2Willie B2024-10-29 07:53

    Years ago I had a 410. It would go to no lift when oil got warm, about an hour. Someone had replaced the hydraulic pump before I bought it. Someone suggested I use an infrared camera to find the first place warm oil flowed. Turned out the backhoe valve was defective from new. More recently I had a 410C it had similar symptoms, but hydraulic useless seemed concentrated in the backhoe boom cylinder. That proved to be a port relief valve. Machines built where a cylinder is inactive but other actions build great pressure have port relief. Backhoe boom halfway down, You extend the crowd, or extend dipper with a heavy load in the bucket, pressure in the boom cylinder can rise a lot. Port relief lets that oil go to the filter. A couple things to look for.

  3. #3wlhequipment2024-10-29 11:49

    Thanks guys! I have to get to the bottom of this, and I'll post up. Much appreciated.

  4. #4wlhequipment2024-10-30 14:18

    I got more info today. When the backhoe fails, it fails completely, as in, all functions are working just fine one minute and suddenly nothing at all, like someone is throwing a switch. When it happens, there are no other indicators of a problem, the engine is fine, no pressuring out, no other wierdness. Then just as randomly it'll all start working again, such as this morning when it worked perfectly. Is there a switch in that yoke you pull back toward you when you operate the hoe? Something that tells the machine what end you need pressure at? I'm betting my problem is there.

  5. #5mg23612024-10-31 05:27

    But the loader still works, or does that stop too?

  6. #6wlhequipment2024-10-31 07:32

    That's the piece of the puzzle I don't have. When I spoke to the guy yesterday I told him the next time the hoe failed, flip around and see if the loader worked. And then flip back around and see if the hoe is back. That would more or less seal the deal for me that it's a switch somewhere. I'm about 90% certain if there is a switch or a valve, that's the issue. I don't know if I'll have the luxury of getting to 100% before loading up the parts cannon. Every other backhoe I've messed with, there is some mechanism to switch function from the loader to the hoe. There is usually a valve on older machines or a toggle switch on newer machines. On this 410, there is no apparent switch or valve. All the op does is flip the seat around and pull that yoke back towards him to operate the hoe. So I'm assuming moving that yoke, there's a switch down there somewhere. Like a pilot switch. Am I right about that? What switches function from the loader to the hoe?

  7. #7wlhequipment2024-10-31 08:16

    Also, here's the s/n. Forgot that the other day 1T0410LXLKF352895

  8. #8mg23612024-10-31 12:02

    If the machine has pilot controlled backhoe,there is a pilot enable switch on the right backhoe control tower to turn on the backhoe functions. If it has mechanical sticks to operate the backhoe (your serial indicates it is this), then there is no switch, and seat position does not matter. Backhoe should always work.

  9. #9wlhequipment2024-10-31 12:22

    Well dang there goes my first theory. I guess I better look for those pressures and high temps then.

  10. #10mg23612024-10-31 12:26

    Just so you are aware. That hydraulic pump is controlled electronically.

  11. #11wlhequipment2024-10-31 17:02

    I haven't been back out to the machine yet, but my friendly neighborhood Deere dealer says that s/n machine should have a pilot enable switch by the right joystick. P/N AT317500. I'm just going to replace that switch and see what happens.

  12. #12wlhequipment2024-11-02 09:11

    This job got cut short. The switch came in on Friday morning, so I called the guy to tell him I was going to get the switch and head to the machine. He said the situation had changed. Now there's no hydraulics at all, loader included. Nothing. Ok so the problem is not that switch, but something else. I ran over to the machine to check it out. He was right, all hydraulics were in and out. You could sit there raising and lowering the boom, and one time boom moves real slow, and a minute later raise it again and it's normal. A minute after that, back to slow. There was some odd binding in the stick so I took the cover off to see if a linkage was causing problems and found all good. With the machine not running, controls are smooth. With machine running, I'm feeling binding. So definitely something no bueno going on. Here's the rub - it was about 9:00 am at that time, and the machine was to be loaded out of that spot at noon. So I told the owner there is almost no chance I'll have it fixed by then, so as much as it pains me to say, I think it's a better solution for him, since it's getting loaded out anyway, just take it to a local Deere shop. I think he appreciated my candor, but I missed an opportunity. I'm wishing I dug into this deeper a few days ago. We live with our choices. Anyway, it's already at the shop, and he'll certainly tell me what was the deal with it, and when he does, I'll share it here.

  13. #13wlhequipment2024-12-10 08:55

    I finally got a chance to talk to the guy for a few minutes. The machine spent 4 days at the local Deere shop. They found metal in the tank, filter, etc. The owner was advised it's either the main pump ($30K part) or a valve ($5K part). He told em to replace the valve. They did a flush n fill on the hydraulic and the owner already sold the machine for 55K and it was on a truck being delivered last Friday. It's unlikely I'll ever see that thing again.

  14. #14Vetech632024-12-10 13:05

    Yeah, contamination failure!? Count your lucky stars that machine is gone.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2024-12-11 09:24

    So, I just bought this used JD backhoe and am having problems with the hydraulics? LOL Not funny to sell your junk.

  16. #16wlhequipment2024-12-11 10:19

    That's why we're all here man. We love junk machines!

  17. #17Gene Murray2025-01-03 09:48

    Anyone who knowingly sells heavy equipment knowing but not disclosing all the known defects is an idiot and liar. How low can you stoop

  18. #18HarleyHappy2025-01-03 12:03

    ^^^^^ bout time someone with some ethics rolled in here. It’s one thing to sell a machine that has issues and inform the buyer. If you sell it off to auction then all bets are off.

  19. #19wlhequipment2025-01-03 12:36

    You ever go to an auction?

  20. #20HarleyHappy2025-01-03 15:57

    Yep been to and bought a few things at an auction. For the most part, the last ten years or so, people are bidding stuff up so high auctions around here can be a waste of time. Have scored a few deals, especially in the past. When it comes to buying something at an auction, due diligence and luck come into play. Selling something private sale that is knowingly junk, is still a no no, in my book. Not to say, 50 people out of 100 would have no problem selling something that needs a repair, that would almost total said object, I would just not be in that group. Has it bitten me in the ass, you betcha but I sleep okay.